Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 10:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing for just over three years, plans to spend with her family the entire four weeks of paid vacation to which she is entitled this year. Anyone who has worked at XYZ Manufacturing for between one and four years is automatically entitled to exactly three weeks paid vacation each year but can apply upto half of any vacation time that remains unused at the end of one year to the next year's vacation.

If the statements above are all true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

A. Jennifer did not use two weeks of the paid vacation time to which she was entitled last year.

B. If Jennifer continues to work for KVZ manufacturing, she will only be entitled to three weeks paid vacation next year.

C. The majority of KVZ's employees use each year all of the paid vacation time to which they are entitled.

D. Last year Jennifer took only one week of the paid vacation time to which she was entitled

E. KVZ Manufacturing sometimes allows extra vacation time to employees who need to spend more time with their families.

Thanks
Praetorian

Last edited by Praetorian on 17 Mar 2004, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:03
Tricky.
I think it's E.
She is entitled for 4 weeks, meaning she doesn't take extra vacation. That's all.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:12
vaka wrote:
Tricky.
I think it's E.
She is entitled for 4 weeks, meaning she doesn't take extra vacation. That's all.

Val, Read the argument carefully..its not as tricky as you think.

your first step should be to read the question and paraphrase the argument...always!!

Do we have a deal? read and paraphrase.

E's not correct

KVZ has a policy that if you take less vacation time the previous year, you can take extra vacation time the next year. There is nothing called "sometimes". if you fit into the category, you take the extra vacation time,otherwise you dont...

If KVZ made a decision on a case by case basis, yes, E would be correct..

hope its clear

thanks
praetorian
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:32
Right. <entitled> confused me.
Is it B?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:39
A?

She could have taken only one week vacation last week. So she has two weeks, and adding half of that (one week) to this year's vacation time (3 weeks) she can take four weeks off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 09:20
But if she takes all 4 weeks to which she is entitled than there is nothing to carry next year. Thus only 3 weeks for next year - B.
i don't see any error with A as well. :roll: .. missing something..!
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 10:51
Vicky wrote:
But if she takes all 4 weeks to which she is entitled than there is nothing to carry next year. Thus only 3 weeks for next year - B.
i don't see any error with A as well. :roll: .. missing something..!

Vicks, that is where the argument got me..

Read the argument proprerly... The vacation plan is valid only upto 4 years.
And Jen has already completed 3 years..So next year...We dont know whether the current plan (3 weeks vacation + unused vacation if any) is applicable or not.

A is correct.
CEO
CEO

This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 07:25
This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing for just over three years, plans to spend with her family the entire four weeks of paid vacation to which she is entitled this year. Anyone who has worked at KVZ Manufacturing for between one and four years is automatically entitled to exactly three weeks paid vacation each year but can apply upto half of any vacation time that remains unused at the end of one year to the next year's vacation.

If the statements above are all true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

A. Jennifer did not use two weeks of the paid vacation time to which she was entitled last year.

B. If Jennifer continues to work for KVZ manufacturing, she will only be entitled to three weeks paid vacation next year.

C. The majority of KVZ's employees use each year all of the paid vacation time to which they are entitled.

D. Last year Jennifer took only one week of the paid vacation time to which she was entitled

E. KVZ Manufacturing sometimes allows extra vacation time to employees who need to spend more time with their families.

Last edited by Praetorian on 17 Mar 2004, 08:17, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 07:53
A for me. The battle was really between A and D. The answer lies in one key sentence: can apply up to half of any vacation time that remains unused at the end of one year to the next year's vacation. Therefore, A can be inferred because she did not use at least two weeks of vacation in order to be able to defer 1 extra week to the current year. However, D is wrong because she could have used only 1 day of vacation last year but still be entitled to only 1 week extra this year.
Less than 2 min

Best Regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 17 Mar 2004, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 07:59
A. <2mins

If she's entitled to 4 weeks this year, it means that she's entitled to 3 weeks + 1 extra week carried over from last year. This extra week is half of the 2 she did not use.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 07:59
XYZ Vs KVZ: must b a typo!

B seems to b the only safe answer here, 2 min
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 08:05
A for me, abt 2 min.

Total Vacation time for Jen : 4 weeks. shen used 3 weeks from current year and 1 week from the last over's remaning.

If she didn't use 2 weeks from previous year, she could use half of it next year, which is 1 week.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 09:00
Yes, It is between A and D...I think the pointer ONLY in D makes it a bad choice....I read it in this forum and also in PR I think that If any choice contains ONLY or MOST or words like that they are more often wrong than correct.......So A....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 10:33
I took about 2 minutes.
I guess it is A.

She can only take 3 weeks per year. But now she is taking 4 weeks. So that one week extra should come from prev year. That means she must not have used 2 weeks in the prev year.
CEO
CEO

Re: [#5] CR Challenge : Jennifer [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2004, 18:51
praetorian123 wrote:
1. Time yourself
2. Solve this the way you would on your actual gmat.
3. Explain your solution, and your time please
This summer, Jennifer , who has worked at KVZ Manufacuturing for just over three years, plans to spend with her family the entire four weeks of paid vacation to which she is entitled this year. Anyone who has worked at KVZ Manufacturing for between one and four years is automatically entitled to exactly three weeks paid vacation each year but can apply upto half of any vacation time that remains unused at the end of one year to the next year's vacation.

A is the best answer. Does this need an explanation? I think Paul and Anandnk have reasonable explanations.

Thanks Guys
Praetorian
Re: [#5] CR Challenge : Jennifer   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2004, 18:51