Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This topics is already discussed in following two posts:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

This topics is already discussed in following two posts: [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 21:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:38) wrong based on 3 sessions
This topics is already discussed in following two posts:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/prep-bf-65020.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-bface-65109.html#p483869

Both have different OA's. So, i am posting this topic again for final discussion.

A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price. Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can, many companies charge the greatest price the market will bear when they have such a product. But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product’s capabilities. Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an assumption that forms the basis for a course of action that the argument criticizes; the second presents the course of action endorsed by the argument.
B. The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the wisdom of adopting that strategy.
C. The first is an assumption that has been used to justify a certain strategy; the second is a consideration that is used to cast doubt on that assumption.
D. The first is a consideration raised in support of a strategy the argument endorses; the second presents grounds in support of that consideration.
E. The first is a consideration raised to show that adopting a certain strategy is unlikely to achieve the intended effect; the second is presented to explain the appeal of that strategy.

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 22:53
The set of these answer choices is somehow different from that of the 2 links you posted
In this question, I will choose B
Argument: Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price
Strategy of the 1st boldface: many companies charge the greatest price the market will bear when they have such a product
Strategy that argument supports: to charge less than the greatest possible price

A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price. Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can, many companies charge the greatest price the market will bear when they have such a product. But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product’s capabilities. Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an assumption that forms the basis for a course of action that the argument criticizes; the second presents the course of action endorsed by the argument -->1st ok, 2nd: not the course of action of the argument -->wrong
B. The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the wisdom of adopting that strategy --> the best
C. The first is an assumption that has been used to justify a certain strategy; the second is a consideration that is used to cast doubt on that assumption -->1st ok, 2nd not cast doubt on the assumption but on the strategy -->wrong
D. The first is a consideration raised in support of a strategy the argument endorses; the second presents grounds in support of that consideration -->1st not support the strategy of argument -->wrong
E. The first is a consideration raised to show that adopting a certain strategy is unlikely to achieve the intended effect; the second is presented to explain the appeal of that strategy -->reverse the role of each boldface-->wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 09:37
I agree with B for the same reasons explained above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 22:39
Me to go with B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 23:06
B for me

The first part is not an assumption thus A & C are out. Between B,D,E Both in D & E the second part support the strategy where as in Question it is questioning and suggesting a different strategy thus I pick B, it took time to get to B though, Good one !

A. The first is an assumption that forms the basis for a course of action that the argument criticizes; the second presents the course of action endorsed by the argument.
B. The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the wisdom of adopting that strategy.
C. The first is an assumption that has been used to justify a certain strategy; the second is a consideration that is used to cast doubt on that assumption.
D. The first is a consideration raised in support of a strategy the argument endorses; the second presents grounds in support of that consideration.
E. The first is a consideration raised to show that adopting a certain strategy is unlikely to achieve the intended effect; the second is presented to explain the appeal of that strategy.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 03:14
B for me too.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 05:11
Another vote for 'B'

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 22:14
Its a tough choice between A and B....But since A talks about the second boldface as a course of action, this choice can be avoided....So B for me as well....

Choose Life

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 2

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 14:30
trainspotting wrote:
Its a tough choice between A and B....But since A talks about the second boldface as a course of action, this choice can be avoided....So B for me as well....

sorry for the question, but...what is a course of action? the argument itself?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 00:09
Voting for B
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 109

Re: technological advance [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 12:39
noboru wrote:
trainspotting wrote:

sorry for the question, but...what is a course of action? the argument itself?

A course of action is a strategy (i.e. charge the highest price for that product).
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: technological advance   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2011, 12:39