Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This waiting is killing me.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:11
johnnyx9 wrote:
Rhyme, cracking me up. Yeah it's funny how often people will say stuff like, "All those top schools are a rip-off, you can go part-time to [insert bottom-ranked school here] and it's like ten grand total. Plus there's a coupon in the paper where you can buy-one-class-get-one-free your first semester."

This one kid was telling me he's going to go to this local school the first year "Just to see if he likes it," and then if he decides he likes it he'll transfer to a top school. I told him that top programs don't allow that and he was like, "Well I bet if you get in touch with the dean and show him that you really have a lot to bring to the table it would be fine." Uh, yeah, good call.

I've heard this kind of thing before, and I honestly don't know what to say to these people. On the one hand, I feel bad for them - on the other hand I don't. A little research would have made this clear to them.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: This waiting is killing me. [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:20
pelihu wrote:
I'm a wreck already and I know it will only get worse as actual deadlines start to approach. I guess my first drop-dead date is 2/15 for Wharton; no interview by that date means ding. I'm not holding out too much hope. The next would be Chicago on 2/21.

How are the rest of you holding up?

Waiting is a part of the game. I think you must be one of the surest bets around. With your profile and GMAT I think you should be looking forward to an even harder time deciding where to go from the truckload of acceptances that you'd get.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: This waiting is killing me. [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:30
Some bozos in my office keep asking me why would I want to go to a top b-school full time when their median salaries are significantly below what I currently make. Initially, I tried convincing them that it was something that I always wanted to do and a long term term investment in myself. After a while, I realized there is no point arguing with idiots. Now when they ask me why I want an MBA, I reply that my wife wants to have kids...I am buying myself two years :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:44
The toughest part of waiting is the unknown. I can't help but wonder if there is something screwed up in my applications that will trigger rejections across the board. Maybe I should retake the GMAT...just kidding.

Whichever schools sends me an admit first (if any are forthcoming) and relieves my anxiety will get a big gold star if I have more than one to choose from.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:49
Rhyme, you are out. Pelihu is the new GMAT Club drama queen.

pelihu wrote:
The toughest part of waiting is the unknown. I can't help but wonder if there is something screwed up in my applications that will trigger rejections across the board. Maybe I should retake the GMAT...just kidding.

Whichever schools sends me an admit first (if any are forthcoming) and relieves my anxiety will get a big gold star if I have more than one to choose from.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 10:05
Sweet. Do I get anything for that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 10:05
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

LOL. I'm not sure he wins yet.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 10:36
The winner gets a date with Mike Tyson.

rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

LOL. I'm not sure he wins yet.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 10:56
I thought he faded into Bolivian. Also, I don't have any children for him to eat. :lol:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 21:53
I am so tired of this wait :( Me will go mountaineering this weekend. Will let you guys know if I come back alive.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 22:12
sm176811 wrote:
I am so tired of this wait :( Me will go mountaineering this weekend. Will let you guys know if I come back alive.

I really hope that you come back alive. You are supposed to help me with something this weekend, remember!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 04:19
mst wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

I really hope that you come back alive. You are supposed to help me with something this weekend, remember!!!

The rash in your special place?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: This waiting is killing me. [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 06:38
lhotseface wrote:
Some bozos in my office keep asking me why would I want to go to a top b-school full time when their median salaries are significantly below what I currently make. Initially, I tried convincing them that it was something that I always wanted to do and a long term term investment in myself. After a while, I realized there is no point arguing with idiots. Now when they ask me why I want an MBA, I reply that my wife wants to have kids...I am buying myself two years :)

its funny you mention this, as i went through this same conversation yesterday with a bunch of idiots here.. they were like.. but the median salary is less... and you will live in an expensive city (i live in iowa now!)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: This waiting is killing me. [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 06:47
willget800 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

its funny you mention this, as i went through this same conversation yesterday with a bunch of idiots here.. they were like.. but the median salary is less... and you will live in an expensive city (i live in iowa now!)

Avg FT salary 3 years post graduation at GSB is $143,000 - base.

I don't make that now :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 07:10
Neither do I...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 08:11
rhyme wrote:
mst wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

You know rhyme, 15 years down the lane, when you are armed with your MBA degree from GSB (or Kellogg) and are next in line to be the CEO of your company, I am going to use this very post to bring a sexual harrassment lawsuit againt you! Ha!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 08:44
mst wrote:
rhyme wrote:
mst wrote:
sm176811 wrote:

You know rhyme, 15 years down the lane, when you are armed with your MBA degree from GSB (or Kellogg) and are next in line to be the CEO of your company, I am going to use this very post to bring a sexual harrassment lawsuit againt you! Ha!

Ultra elite MBA guy harssing another ultra elite MBA guy
would make amazing news to sell in all mags
VP
VP

Re: This waiting is killing me. [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 08:56
I am close...

rhyme wrote:
willget800 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

Avg FT salary 3 years post graduation at GSB is $143,000 - base.

I don't make that now :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 09:19
I too have been encountered many people telling me not to bother with an MBA or a top school. A lot of people who have found out I am applying have told be to try the local schools which are not nationally known. I think they just dont know any better to be honest, or they are intimidated by someone who is ambitious enough to try for the best.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 09:24
OasisNYK wrote:
think they just dont know any better to be honest, or they are intimidated by someone who is ambitious enough to try for the best.

This is the most plausible reason.
  [#permalink] 02 Feb 2007, 09:24