Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes. Being on here doesn't help. Not hearing is one thing. seeing that other people are hearing is another.

I know that they can take time to process through things to get to interviewing people. Y'know, maybe they filter out certain GMATs to begin with, and review the others more solidly.

I don't know. I do know that the signal from the adcom is minimal, but the amount of noise (people announcing their i/views) is overpowering anything anyway.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Almost 3 am, I am still online!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Go to sleep man...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I can't say I miss it.... but I can commiserate and empathize with ya. Waiting is easily the worst part of this whole process.. the worst is rolling admissions...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maybe being waitlisted is even worse, but I hope I nail at least one of those 3 from R2...
Then I'll just relax for the R3 one's...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pehilu,

you cannot be more right this time.. the waiting game is killing me!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu, we all know you are probably just a few more hours away from being bombarded with a string of invitations. Patience my friend, patience...

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 01 Feb 2007, 07:20.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 01 Feb 2007, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What calms me down is my "I don't give f*ck" attitude. I know it's mostly fake, but I can convince myself for long periods of time that I actually don't give a rat's @ss.

Second option: try partying like you have not been able to do for the past XX months. In my case, I'm professionally partying for the first time since late May 06 (when I started preparing for GMAT). I joined a group of "buon vivants" friends and am following their schedules. If you are married/in a relationship take your wife/girlfriend somewhere for the weekend, and just relax. Re-learn how to appreciate slacking...

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah the waiting game sucks. The worst part is not knowing if or when you will have interviews. I have one friend who is in Israel all this month, and one friend who is in Buenos Aires next month, if I didn't have to worry about godam interviews I'd be taking time to visit both of them, but I'm paranoid that something will go wrong, either I'll miss a narrow interviewing window, or I'll lose my passport or get thrown in jail or something while out of the country.

So instead I'm just sitting here freezing to death in my chilly little city. I hate when I'm at parties or bars and people ask about how the applications are going, especially the people who don't know what they're talking about, "Wait, you just applied? My friend just heard back from all his schools, are you really late applying? I think you might have applied too late." or "You would rather go to NYU then [Tier 4 school]?? You're crazy, my cousin went to [Tier 4] and now he's the branch manager at Washington Mutual, so he's really done well for himself because of [Tier 4 school], you know I've never even heard of NYU's business school."

What seems to help is staying as active as possible, going for lots of runs, snowboarding until my knees give out, just trying to run myself into the ground to get out all my nervous energy so when I get home at night I'm too tired to check email.

Pelihu, you seem like one of the surest bets around, I'm sure the interviews will come pouring in once your applications elements are all pulled together. I have the same issue, some paper recommendations that still haven't been found and pulled together with my apps by the ad-coms.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I'm professionally partying for the first time since late May 06 (when I started preparing for GMAT). I joined a group of "buon vivants" friends and am following their schedules.

Professional partying, huh? What is that. LOL.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just started the waiting process, as I submitted my 1st insead application yesterday few hours before the deadline. I was sick of rereading it several times a day. Now it's over and I have to pray that it will not land directly into the trash. :?

I'll start to get bored since I have nothing to do anymore but work and earn money in a place I want to escape. I was focused on this application problematic for the past 11 months(I started to consider the gmat in march 2006) and now my life seems empty...

Or i could submit other applications, but I did a benchmark and saw that the f... essay questions are not really identical => I should invest lot of time again to adapt my bio to the new applications. I'm fed up...
VP
VP
Send PM
Professional partying [#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
lepium wrote:
I'm professionally partying for the first time since late May 06 (when I started preparing for GMAT). I joined a group of "buon vivants" friends and am following their schedules.

Professional partying, as opposed to amateur partying, involves, most of all, leadership and management skills.

Eg: I got an invitation to my friend's house this coming weekend. Pool + balanced amount of guys and gals are the ingredients.

Amateur party guy would just show up in his usual attire and go with the flow. The party's result would not depend on his actions as he' just a filler and would probably leave early to study for GMAT or work on apps.

Professional party guy would take the following elements:

a) Blender + Tequila bottle(s) + sugar + lots of ice and lime for Margaritas.
b) Personal laptop with a zillion songs and DJ-ing software + amplifier and speakers.
c) A few bottles of Champagne.
d) Video camera in case the situation goes south and we end up skinny dipping.

And he would pretty much keep the party going way beyond it's original scope. He would have placed himself +10 others on VIP lists at several local clubs for later on, and so on and so forth, you get the point.

The other difference between amateur and professional is that amateur guy will spend very little and professional guy would "drop it like it's hot".

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I hate when I'm at parties or bars and people ask about how the applications are going, especially the people who don't know what they're talking about, "Wait, you just applied? My friend just heard back from all his schools, are you really late applying? I think you might have applied too late." or "You would rather go to NYU then [Tier 4 school]?? You're crazy, my cousin went to [Tier 4] and now he's the branch manager at Washington Mutual, so he's really done well for himself because of [Tier 4 school], you know I've never even heard of NYU's business school."

LOL. I have similar situations.

People ask me where I applied and I tell them. Their brows go up a bit. They ask me where I've been accepted and I tell them I'm likely going to the GSB. This is where the scenario goes in one of three directions.

Scenario A: Oh that's a pretty good school right? I got an MBA too.... followed by silence.... (you know not to ask from where)

Scenario B: Don't go there. It's so expensive. Go to "Local 2nd or 3rd their school" that costs like $12,000 a year. Chicago's not that good of a school man. I spent like $30,000 on my entire MBA and I'm doing great now.

Secnario C: Thats nice.

It's frustrating to share news with people who know nothing about the MBA - they just don't understand your frustrations, your pain and your elation at admittance.

Then there are the ones who are just outright mistaken and talk out their butt. Stuff like:

"I don't think Chicago has a full time program anymore. My friend at work told me he wanted to go full time and he couldn't." (maybe thats cause he wasnt accepted not because they didnt have a program eh?)

or

"You know that it's a four year program right?"

or

"Yea I was going to get an MBA from there but decided not to go."
followed up by my question: "Really? Gosh, I can't imagine not going after putting in all that time on the GMAT!"
"Well I took the SATs instead. It's easier"
(i withhold the urge to call them on it)

Originally posted by rhyme on 01 Feb 2007, 08:34.
Last edited by rhyme on 01 Feb 2007, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Professional partying [#permalink]
lepium wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
lepium wrote:

Professional partying, as opposed to amateur partying, involves, most of all, leadership and management skills.

Eg: I got an invitation to my friend's house this coming weekend. Pool + balanced amount of guys and gals are the ingredients.

Amateur party guy would just show up in his usual attire and go with the flow. The party's result would not depend on his actions as he' just a filler and would probably leave early to study for GMAT or work on apps.

Professional party guy would take the following elements:

a) Blender + Tequila bottle(s) + sugar + lots of ice and lime for Margaritas.
b) Personal laptop with a zillion songs and DJ-ing software + amplifier and speakers.
c) A few bottles of Champagne.

And he would pretty much keep the party going way beyond it's original scope. He would have placed himself +10 others on VIP lists at several local clubs for later on, and so on and so forth, you get the point.

The other difference between amateur and professional is that amateur guy will spend very little and professional guy would "drop it like it's hot".

Cheers. L.

Sounds great.

In my neck of the woods, we call it the party planner. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lepium wrote:

This is your idea of a party going south? Whats your idea of a good one? Playing scrabble?
VP
VP
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
lepium wrote:

This is your idea of a party going south? Whats your idea of a good one? Playing scrabble?

It was an ironic "going South". :lol: by the way, come direi lo stesso in italiano (going south)? Andare a fang...?

An actual going South would be if the only ones skinny dipping are drunken guys (coz girls would have left the party much earlier).

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, cracking me up. Yeah it's funny how often people will say stuff like, "All those top schools are a rip-off, you can go part-time to [insert bottom-ranked school here] and it's like ten grand total. Plus there's a coupon in the paper where you can buy-one-class-get-one-free your first semester."

This one kid was telling me he's going to go to this local school the first year "Just to see if he likes it," and then if he decides he likes it he'll transfer to a top school. I told him that top programs don't allow that and he was like, "Well I bet if you get in touch with the dean and show him that you really have a lot to bring to the table it would be fine." Uh, yeah, good call.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4