Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2005, 15:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago.
(A) This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago.
(B) Compared with ten years ago, when 15 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States was accounted for by trucks, they are expected this year to account for a record 23 per cent.
(C) While ten years ago trucks accounted for 15 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, but this year trucks are expected to account for 23 per cent of total sales, a record.
(D) Comparing with 15 per cent ten years ago, a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States are expected to be accounted for this year by trucks.
(E) Accounting for a 15 per cent share of total motor vehicle sales ten years ago, this year trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent.

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 08:53
I'd go with E (although A is appealing).

A) Not sure about this one...

B) "they" is ambiguous.

C) Construction is flawed: while... but... does not work.

D) Comparing with is awkward and incorrect structure.

E) This works, since the first clause modifies the subject of the second clause.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 09:07
karun_aggarwal wrote:
This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago.
(A) This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago.
(B) Compared with ten years ago, when 15 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States was accounted for by trucks, they are expected this year to account for a record 23 per cent.
(C) While ten years ago trucks accounted for 15 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, but this year trucks are expected to account for 23 per cent of total sales, a record.
(D) Comparing with 15 per cent ten years ago, a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States are expected to be accounted for this year by trucks.
(E) Accounting for a 15 per cent share of total motor vehicle sales ten years ago, this year trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent.

B/W A and E, I'm confused

what does the phrase 'compared with...' modify?

'they' is ambiguous
the position of 'a record' is strange.

passive voice is awkward

'accounting ...' seems to modify 'this year'. If not, I think it's the best

I'm not sure, b/w A and E, I'd pick E
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 09:36
wud pick "E"...but I all choices have one issue ie. how can trucks account for vehicle sales, shudn't truck sales account for total vehicle sales ? Thots ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 21:43
- I'll take A. Best chioce among all 5 chioces.

- passive voice not desirable

- while... but.. is not idiomatic

- 15% of what 10 yrs ago ? Not a good choice.

- By placing 'this year' after the opening phrase, it seems that 'this year' accounted for 15% share of total motor vehicle sales. Not a good choice.

A for me.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 18:28
ywilfred wrote:
- I'll take A. Best chioce among all 5 chioces.

- passive voice not desirable

- while... but.. is not idiomatic

- 15% of what 10 yrs ago ? Not a good choice.

- By placing 'this year' after the opening phrase, it seems that 'this year' accounted for 15% share of total motor vehicle sales. Not a good choice.

A for me.

HI, what does the 'compared' modify in choice A?
I'm curious about the OA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 18:40
(A) This year, trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent of total motor vehicle sales in the United States, compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago

Can be reduced to:
trucks are expected to account for a record 23 per cent compared with a 15 per cent share ten years ago

The compared just compares the two percentage figures.

I'll stick with A. Though it's not perfect, but it's better than the rest.

What the OA for this question ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 05:11
sorry guys i do'nt have the oa,,,,,but at exm i would have piked A

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

[#permalink] 12 Apr 2005, 05:11