Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx   Verb Tense/Formx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1276 [228]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [44]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [18]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins powerful style and his choices of subjectthe advances [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vivektripathi wrote:
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is
(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Pronouns + Tenses + Comparison

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "powerful style and his choices of subject" with the singular verbs "was" and "is" and the singular pronoun "it".

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "powerful style and his choices of subject" with the plural verbs "were" and "are" and the plural pronoun "they". Further, Option B correctly uses the simple past tense "were" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Moreover, Option B correctly uses the simple present tense verb "are" to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame. Additionally, Option B correctly compares the verb phrase "were...disturbing to his own time" with the verb phrase "they are compelling for ours".

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "powerful style and his choices of subject" with the singular verb "has been". Further, Option C incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "has been" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "powerful style and his choices of subject" with the singular verb "was" and the singular pronoun "it". Further, Option D incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "was" to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame; please remember, the simple present tense is used to refer to actions that take place in the current time frame, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have been" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Further, Option E incorrectly compares the verb phrase "have been...disturbing in his own" to the adjective phrase "compelling for ours"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"his choices of subject" requires "were"

(B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B is he answer as the question in question :) is refering to two things so plural form will be used. As the question talks about present tense so are.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
“Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject” is a plural subject and require a plural verb. So choice A, C and D are out.

The first event happened in the past and the second event is occurring in the present. So the tense should reflect the occurrence. Hence the first verb should be in past tense and second verb should be present tense. So choice E is out

So the answer is B
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Between B and E,the comparison element is missing in E.
B clearly has reference they are. Hence better.

have been is not necessary here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [11]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject [needs plural verb]
—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—
was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.
(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as

B Vs E:
We are making comparison between 2 times Eakin's time(Past) and our (present) time. Have been shows present and hence incorrect.
B is correct.
NUS School Moderator
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is - SINGULAR
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are -- SINGULAR
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was - - SINGULAR
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as-CONTINUOUS tense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi all,
can I ask a silly question ? Would it be correct if we change it option E to "were as disturbing in his own time as"? I think it is still wrong as in this case , we are comparing disturbing to compelling? Thanks all in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
katzzzz

True; E is a multiple error choice with a tense, subject-pronoun agreement and comparison issues ; Tinkering with just one of the errors isn't going to help. And even if you emend all the errors in choice E, and make it comparable to B, amusingly it will add more problems with two correct answers for a single problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [6]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos