Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 206 [7] , given: 974

GMAT Tests User
Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:35) correct 27% (00:56) wrong based on 89 sessions
Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(A) Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(B) A major recession on 1878 in the oil industry was caused when Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb.
(C) In 1878, Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(D) The first electric light bulb was invented on 1878 by Thomas Edison, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(E) When Thomas Edison, in 1878, invented the first electric light bulb, it created a major recession in the oil industry.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 974

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
If you like my question, you can give kudos. thanks a lot!
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 20

Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

Good question, so before it falls off the bottom of the page let me throw my hat in the ring behind choice C, as well.

This one is a classic logical timeline question (usually those are pure verb tense, but other elements apply). In B (and E), for example, saying that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events, and not a cause-and-effect, logical timeline.

C avoids this by using the modifiers " , causing a major recession", so that the action of invention is what (eventually) causes the recession - it wasn't a simultaneous event.

Often times when questions involve multiple verb tenses, modifiers that use time (like "in 1878,") or the word "when", it's helpful to draw up a logical timeline in your mind so that you can eliminate choices that violate it.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 07:53
+1 c 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 22:09
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

Good question, so before it falls off the bottom of the page let me throw my hat in the ring behind choice C, as well.

This one is a classic logical timeline question (usually those are pure verb tense, but other elements apply). In B (and E), for example, saying that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events, and not a cause-and-effect, logical timeline.

C avoids this by using the modifiers " , causing a major recession", so that the action of invention is what (eventually) causes the recession - it wasn't a simultaneous event.

Often times when questions involve multiple verb tenses, modifiers that use time (like "in 1878,") or the word "when", it's helpful to draw up a logical timeline in your mind so that you can eliminate choices that violate it.

Dear brian
please throw some light why D is incorrect.... :? :? :?

WarLocK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 17:45
In the option C, doesn't it look like the bulb has caused the recession.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 08:52
Warlock007 wrote:
please throw some light why D is incorrect.... :? :? :?

Main Clause in the Passive voice.

To reject wrong choices, we should also keep in mind that right answer should also give you the meaning that "it was not the first bulb only but the 'act of invention of bulb' that caused the recessions in Oil Industry"

My Chose C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 12:15
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

Brian/ Instructors,

while the answer is C beyond doubt for various reasons and i had the timeline (like 1978 and invention caused recession) in mind while working on this sc , i cant seem to come to terms with Brian's explanation for striking off B and E

agree that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events ,

but B actually states a recession was CAUSED when the bulb was invented ( does'nt the use of caused suggest one caused the other? )
similarly in E when Edison invented the bulb, it (invention) created a recession.

Again i know gramatically these sentences have mistakes and can be knocked off, but im more eager to know how these two sentences portray the 2 events to be simultaneous events so that i can analyze how i am being deceived by the wordings in these sentences or where im faltering.

can somebody help!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 23:22
metallicafan wrote:
+1 c 8-)

00:12 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 21:21
Picked B but later realised that C is better. thx for explaining guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: electric light [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 10:47
feruz77 wrote:
Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(A) Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(B) A major recession on 1878 in the oil industry was caused when Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb.
(C) In 1878, Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(D) The first electric light bulb was invented on 1878 by Thomas Edison, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(E) When Thomas Edison, in 1878, invented the first electric light bulb, it created a major recession in the oil industry.

A - Incorrect - placement of 1n 1878 is incorrect
B - "A major recession on 1878" is incorrect
C - Correct
D - "was invented on 1878" is incorrect
E - "it created a major recession" ; "it" is ambiguous

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Re: electric light   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2011, 10:47