Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [265]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [39]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [35]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
bakfed wrote:
Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term temperature data are an inadequate means of predicting long-term trends and point out that the scientific community remains divided on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.

(A) on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does

(B) on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have

(C) as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did

(D) over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have

(E) over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the scientific community remains divided over whether significant warming will occur and over what impact it would have.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical, meaning the use of “would” alongside verbs that express uncertainty (predict, assume, guess, etc.) is redundant.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses “will” to refer to a hypothetical action; please remember, “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen, and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase “what impact will it have if it does”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “whether warming that occurs will be significant”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the scientific community remains divided over whether the warming that is sure to occur will be significant; the intended meaning is that the scientific community remains divided over whether warming that is significant in nature will occur.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “or the impact it would have if it did”; the use of “or” incorrectly implies that the scientific community remains divided either over whether significant inflation will occur or over what impact it would have; the intended meaning is that the scientific community remains divided both over whether significant warming will occur and over what impact it would have. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase “the impact it would have if it did”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “or the impact it would have if it did”; the use of “or” incorrectly implies that the scientific community remains divided either over whether significant inflation will occur or over what impact it would have; the intended meaning is that the scientific community remains divided both over whether significant warming will occur and over what impact it would have. Further, Option D incorrectly uses “will” to refer to a hypothetical action; please remember, “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical. Additionally, Option D uses the passive voice construction “there will be significant warming”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have”, conveying the intended meaning – that the scientific community remains divided both over whether warming that is significant in nature will occur and over what impact it would have. Further, Option E correctly uses “would” to refer to a hypothetical event. Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
My take is E

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does. - whether and if in a same sentence , already suspicious
B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have. - meaning is changed , here the warming will occur for sure , also warming that occurs and the impact are 2 different things , here both are mentioned as one part

C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did. - or is a problem here, also if

D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have. same or is used

E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
+1 to E. I do not see how A can be right since it uses "will it" instead of "it will." Seems to me like "will it" should only be used when posing a question (I am sure there are some exceptions). I understand the skepticism with "would" in E, however, I did not like any of the other answers. I chose E because I thought it was less incorrect. :?
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
@jj22l, you're right that the construction "will it" should be used to ask a question, and isn't appropriate as it appears in answer choice A.

@scheol79, you're right that answer choice E is an unusual example of the subjunctive mood, which can be used to express hypothetical situations. You'll often see "would" used to express the result of a hypothetical condition:

If the two companies merged, the resulting corporation would be unstoppable.
If I were richer, I would buy a yacht.

Not sure what the source of this question is -- to be honest, none of these choices is really ideal, and as I mentioned the use of the subjunctive in this context is a bit unusual. But E is the best of the bunch.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term temperature data are an inadequate means of predicting long-term trends and point out that the scientific community remains divided on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have
C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did
D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have
E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have

In choice E, are "whether significant...occur" and "what impact...have" noun phrases? According to the structure of the sentence, they must be noun phrases because they come after a preposition (over), and only noun and noun phrases can follow a preposition.
However, both don't seem noun phrases:
Can "whether + clause" be a noun phrase?
Also, I cannot identify what kind of structure "what impact it would have" is. It seems a clause. Is "what" working as a pronoun in this sentence? :s
Finally, they don't seem parallel at all, but "AND" requires parallelism.

Please, your comments.

Originally posted by danzig on 05 Aug 2013, 14:10.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Merging similar topics.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
danzig wrote:
In choice E, are "whether significant...occur" and "what impact...have" noun phrases?

No they are clauses: Noun clauses. Prepositions can be followed by clauses. For example:

The jury found him guilty for what he did.
- The preposition for followed by noun clause what he did.

An example from OG-13, #34:

Beyond the immediate cash flow crisis that the museum faces, its survival depends on whether it can broaden its membership and leave its cramped quarters for a site where it can store and exhibit its more than 12,000 artifacts.
- The preposition on followed by noun clause whether it can broaden its membership.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

could you please explain why E is better then A?

and how will and would parallel in option E.

Please clarify this.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [4]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
Kudos
hmm... i like (a) best, but only if it was supposed to say 'it will', and you mis-typed it as 'will it'. if the version you've typed is indeed faithful to the original, then, well, all the choices suck.

reasons:
- 'whether...' and 'what impact...' are parallel.
- the meaning is correct.
- the tenses are parallel: 'will occur' || 'will have'.

choice b:
- the original sentence clearly indicates that scientists don't know whether warming will occur in the first place. this wording, though, assumes that warming will occur; according to this sentence, the only thing in doubt is the extent of such warming.
- 'whether...' is not parallel to 'impact'.

choice c:
- 'as to' is dicey.
- 'or' should be 'and' (because they're wondering about both questions).
- past tense 'did' is inappropriate.

choice d:
- 'or' should be 'and'.
- 'whether...' isn't parallel to 'the impact'.

choice e:
- tense inconsistency: 'will occur' isn't parallel to 'would have'. moreover, 'would have' isn't appropriate for the consequences of something that hasn't even happened yet.

if choice a actually has the original wording posted at the beginning of this thread ('will it' instead of 'it will'), then it's definitely wrong. 'will it' is only ok in the context of a question ('will it rain tomorrow?'), and can't be used as a noun phrase.

process of elimination:
first, i hope it's clear that we want AND, not OR. according to the context of the problem, the scientific community is divided on both of these issues (you don't get a choice between them), so 'and' makes more sense than 'or'.

that leaves choices b and e.

use PARALLELISM to resolve that dilemma:
choice b uses whether... and the impact in parallel.
choice e uses whether... and what impact... in parallel.
thus, choice e has better parallelism.
(incidentally, the same parallelism issue can also be used to get rid of answers c and d, the ones containing 'or')

hope that helps.

we can justify 'would' here by saying that it's a case of the subjunctive mood, which isn't often used in contexts like this one. they're using 'would' instead of 'will' because the occurrence whose consequences are being considered is hypothetical.

BY Ron
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
scheol79 wrote:
I did answer A originally, but let me explain why E is right.

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
'will it' is used in a question. Definitely wrong.
If this answer wrote 'it will' instead of 'will it', this would have been the correct answer.

B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have.
'whether~ and impact' is not parallel.

C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did.
'on' or 'over' is preferred.

D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have.
'or' should be 'and.'
'whether~ and impact' is not parallel.

E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have.
The change of tense from will to would is justified as you can consider this a case of subjunctive mood.

MartyMurray . I am still not convinced with the explanation. Could you please elaborate on how "it will" is preferred over "will it"?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [10]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:
I am still not convinced with the explanation. Could you please elaborate on how "it will" is preferred over "will it"?

The sentence says that the scientific community remains divided on something. So, the answer choice must state what they are divided on.

If we use "will it," what we get is essentially the following:

The scientific community remains divided on what impact will it have.

Because the wording "will it" is in question form, that sentence is a muddled mix of a statement and the question "What impact will it have?" Thus that version does not effectively convey its meaning.

In other words the scientific community is not divided over a question. They are divided over something else. They are divided over WHAT IMPACT IT WILL HAVE. Some think that the impact IT WILL have is one impact, and others think the impact IT WILL have is another impact.

In other words they are arguing about or disagreeing about the nature of the impact IT WILL have.

By using "it will" we get the following:

The scientific community is divided on what impact it will have.

Perfect.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 02 Nov 2018, 14:11.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 02 Nov 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:

By the way, "on" is not great here. Something along the lines of "over" or "regarding" would be better.

Hi MartyMurray

I have searched some dictionaries for 'divide over' but mostly are talking about 'divide on'. I fee it is common phrasal verb or idiom.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

By the way, "on" is not great here. Something along the lines of "over" or "regarding" would be better.

Hi MartyMurray

I have searched some dictionaries for 'divide over' but mostly are talking about 'divide on'. I fee it is common phrasal verb or idiom.

Hmm, interesting. I just followed your lead and did the same thing. I guess I had seen the expression used in the following way, and somehow gotten the impression that it was not optimal for the situation in the question above.

The English are divided on the issue of the country's relationship with the EU.

However, I'm not really sure now whether "over" really is any better than "on" in the sentence in the above question. So, I'm going to edit that part out of my response.

The feedback is much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh AjiteshArun Bishal123456789

Can you please differentiate between A and E ?
what's wrong in A and why subjunctive is required ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
IMO both A and E are not good enough to be the OA. However, since the declare OA by GMAT is E, we have to sail with the wind.

A. the "will it" phrase is wrong unless it is a typo. Without the typo, A may stand as the best of the lot. However, the typo seems to be only in our own guess as A is not the considered choice.

In E, when the second part uses 'would', it would have been parallel to use would occur for the first part also rather than "occur". After all, the first part is as speculative as the second part.
The take away is that the shift of tense from simple future 'of will' to the future of past namely 'would' is not as critical as we have imagined.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, generis, MartyTargetTestPrep

dear experts,i think the parallelism is one of the point of this question. so narrow to A and E
I crossed off E because I though"would" is nonsense,
simple tense:
the skeptical argue.... that what impact it will have.
simple tense:
the skeptical argue.... that what impact it would have.

OA is E, would any experts help further the would in E?

thanks in advance.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [6]
Send PM
Kudos