Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 12:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (01:00) correct 33% (00:35) wrong based on 6 sessions
Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

(A) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark
(B) see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors mark
(C) been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of
(D) been able to see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking
(E) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
(A).

(B) (C): out: We require Present Perfect
(D): "able to see" Not necessary
(E): Run-on sentence: marking is gerund and should be treated as Noun.
Read it like this:
Ram and Shyam seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

Clearly Awkward.

(A): Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

I will read it like this:

Ram and Shyam have typically seen layers of sediment, with different colors (X), in the gaping canyon.
X - DC
I hope I am right :roll: .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 17:31
I'll go with A for parallelism. Those who have gone to the grand canyon --> people who visit in the past and those who visit today will see the same thign, is parallel with have seen.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 19:12
I prefer E, participial phrase
A i dont like "with" because of the "," infront of it.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 19:20
OA I have is "D"....can anyone explain how can that be ? No OE
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 19:39
banerjeea_98 wrote:
OA I have is "D"....can anyone explain how can that be ? No OE

Now I see the problem with..
(A) says color themselve mark passage of time, which is wrong :oops: . It can be (D). BTW what is the source of the problem.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 20:43
Vithal wrote:
but even D says that colors mark the time!

No. In (D), "marking.." is a Participle phrase used as an adjective. It just describe a property (not action as it is in (A)).
Director
Director
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 21:29
jpv wrote:
Vithal wrote:
but even D says that colors mark the time!

No. In (D), "marking.." is a Participle phrase used as an adjective. It just describe a property (not action as it is in (A)).

:no I still think that "marking" is not used as an adjective - can you tell me how marking is an adjective in the sentence?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Canyon [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 23:25
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

(A) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark
(B) see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors mark
(C) been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of
(D) been able to see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking
(E) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors

Initially I pick A. I try to explain why D is the OA.

I think the key is the adverb 'typically'.
in choice A, 'typically' modifies the verb 'see'. maybe 'typically see' is inappropriate.

In choice D, 'typically be able to' maybe more appropriate.

That just my thought. Any correction or reason?

Thanks
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 15:39
Vithal wrote:
:no I still think that "marking" is not used as an adjective - can you tell me how marking is an adjective in the sentence?

I said that based on the definition of Participle phrase. I may be wrong though. Dont forget I also got the answer wrong.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 20:28
this question is so weird.

Any expert's explanation?

thanks
VP
VP
Followers: 190

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 04:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 283

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 11:46
Can somebody explain why C is wrong here?

Just move your mouse to the left side pane and click on the kudos button if i helped you in any way :)
ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 4

Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
Dear ankurgupta03,

In C, the continuous tense is not required. But more importantly, the different colors must refer to the layers of sediment -- the use of "with" allows that. But the use of the pronoun "whose" in C makes the colors refer to the canyon. "Are markers of" could have been "mark" -- the GMAT prefers a direct verb to a noun.

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 20:44
Quote:
Can somebody explain why C is wrong here?

C says : been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of

there are three faults in C as shown in bold

1) "been seeing layers" seems to suggest that those who have visited "been seeing layers" in a continuous manner, an interpretation that is wrong

i will not call "whose" as outright wrong here ."whose" is not referring to "gaping canyon" because verb of "whose" is "are" .also note that "comma + whose" can refer to "noun 1 +prep +noun2" .however the problem is that we have much better construction in option A "with different colors that mark" that modifies the previous clause and that is exactly what we want

lastly "markers of" is also wrong
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 00:35
"Whose" can still refer to "gaping canyon" because the "are" applies to the plural "colors", not to any of the nouns before "colors". In C, the construction is not just "Noun 1 + prep + Noun 2", but "Noun 1 of Noun 2 in the Noun 3". This makes the sentence vague. Whose noun is it, anyway? :-)

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 00:41
Quote:
but "Noun 1 of Noun 2 in the Noun 3"

this construction is just an extension of noun 1 +prep +noun2 +comma .also context matters a lot in such situation
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2014, 00:41