Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 03:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

42% (01:33) correct 58% (00:39) wrong based on 33 sessions
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

A. Though he had had
B. Though he has had
C. Even though he had
D. Having had
E. Having achieved

I feel the correct answer was Option E.

Couldn't understand the structure of the sentence.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 957 [1] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 03:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
sachinrelan wrote:
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

A. Though he had had
B. Though he has had
C. Even though he had
D. Having had
E. Having achieved

I feel the correct answer was Option E.

Couldn't understand the structure of the sentence.


had had is past perfect of 'to have'
has/have had is present perfect of 'to have'

Here we have to use past perfect to show the occurrence of previous past event.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 154
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 37

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 09:18
Here we are discussing about two past events "had success...before he opted out"....So we need a past perfect...Therefore "had had..." usage is correct.
Hence 'A'.
_________________

Thanks,
VP

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 11:20
gurpreetsingh wrote:
sachinrelan wrote:
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

A. Though he had had
B. Though he has had
C. Even though he had
D. Having had
E. Having achieved

I feel the correct answer was Option E.

Couldn't understand the structure of the sentence.


had had is past perfect of 'to have'
has/have had is present perfect of 'to have'

Here we have to use past perfect to show the occurrence of previous past event.



Thanks Gurpreet ...i was also convinced that here past perfect is needed, but what is wrong with option E and D, as "Having acheived" and "Having had" are alternate forms to express past perfect tense and sequence of events.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 11:28
sachinrelan wrote:
Thanks Gurpreet ...i was also convinced that here past perfect is needed, but what is wrong with option E and D, as "Having acheived" and "Having had" are alternate forms to express past perfect tense and sequence of events.



Having <Verb>-ed is not past perfect tense

Past perfect would be had <verb>-ed
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 354
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 338

Kudos [?]: 730 [1] , given: 11

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 12:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Sachin,

Shrouded isn't quite right here. Obviously the last two answer choices are not the past perfect tense, but they are legitimate ways to word the sentence. The issue is one of meaning. We want the "though," to express that Howard Stern left EVEN THOUGH he was successful. He didn't leave BECAUSE he'd been successful (that doesn't make any sense), which is the meaning in the last two answer choices.

Hope that helps!

-t
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 12:33
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Sachin,

Shrouded isn't quite right here. Obviously the last two answer choices are not the past perfect tense, but they are legitimate ways to word the sentence. The issue is one of meaning. We want the "though," to express that Howard Stern left EVEN THOUGH he was successful. He didn't leave BECAUSE he'd been successful (that doesn't make any sense), which is the meaning in the last two answer choices.

Hope that helps!

-t


Thanks Tommy, it indeed helped me out to understand the meaning of the sentence, but had being used twice in the sentence is really confusing me and what is the meaning it reflects when had is used twice in any sentence.

I feel it should have been "Though he had success broadcasting.."

In between will request you to intermittently follow our forum queries as i have followed your explanations and help in other posts and they are extremely enlightening. A gentle request to you. :)

Else you can guide us to someone who can help us out with our queries ?

Thanks,
Sachin
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 238
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 104

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 20:00
Well, Tim Sanders (Tommy's colleague ..I think!) gives a good explanation too. Check it out - http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... 10137.html
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 471
Location: India
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 04:37
IMO A but its awkward construction
_________________

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 158
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Howard Stern [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 17:29
A for me. You need the past progressive to clairfy that his success came before he opted.
Re: Howard Stern   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2010, 17:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial varun2203 11 07 Jul 2012, 05:03
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial manalq8 3 25 Nov 2011, 15:12
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial nsp007 5 11 Apr 2010, 01:13
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial bipolarbear 33 13 Aug 2009, 13:30
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial yavasani 10 25 Jun 2008, 02:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.