Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [1] , given: 543

Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:21) correct 40% (01:09) wrong based on 90 sessions
Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during their later epidemics.

A Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during their later epidemics

B Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics

C the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics

D the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during its later epidemics

E Benjamin Jesty's family's infecting with cowpox in 1774 intentionally and ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics

Grockit!
[Reveal] Spoiler:
please Explain B and C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by fozzzy on 10 Jun 2013, 07:26, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1192 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during their later epidemics.

I think that we can eliminate A B because use a possessive pronoun (its/their) before "epidemics". I do not care about which one is correct, as the entire idea of "possessive" + "epidemic" is not correct. The epidemic does not belong to anybody

E Benjamin Jesty's family's infecting with cowpox in 1774 intentionally and ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics

E changes the meaning. Both the adverbs refers to "saved" and the infection is no more "intentional".

What is the difference between the remaning B and C?

B Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics
C the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during later epidemics

The are words moved around between B and C. Fist of all what does "with cowpox" refer to? It refers to the infection, so B is better because the position of the word "infection" is closer to its modifier.
In the preceding sentence "Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics" his refers to Benjamin Jesty, B once more is better because places the noun closer.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 543

Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 07:15
Great Explanation as always. Thanks!

PS: how do you create the second spoiler... Always wanted to know that lol

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 10:08
fozzzy wrote:

A Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during their later epidemics

D the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox in 1774 ultimately saved them all from the much more deadly smallpox virus during its later epidemics

Grockit!
[Reveal] Spoiler:
please Explain B and C

If we are bent upon finding the answers, we can come to the OA, but aren't all the options wrong?
The first part of the sentence Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics
can only be modofied by Benjamin Jesty and none of the options do so ...

Can some one please help me with this

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1192 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
If we are bent upon finding the answers, we can come to the OA, but aren't all the options wrong?
The first part of the sentence Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics
can only be modofied by Benjamin Jesty and none of the options do so ...

Can some one please help me with this

Yes, in that part "his" refers to Benjamin but is not a modfier: it'a sentence!

Though his neighbors were shocked and even feared his family would take on animal characteristics

it has a subject and verbs. It is different from the this case:

The most infulent scientist of the 20th century, Benjamin

in this case the first clause it's a modifier and Benjamin must follow the comma. In the sentence above we have two clauses, not a modifer+clause.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 23:19
fozzzy wrote:

Grockit!
[Reveal] Spoiler:
please Explain B and C

My late reply, but I have different approach. I eliminated A, D because:
- In A: "their" is quite ambiguous. "their" maybe modify Benjamin's family or virus
- In D: "its" is not clear. It does not refer to anything.

B, C, E remain:

C is wrong because: "Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox" differs from "the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox".
- Benjamin Jesty's intentional infection of his family with cowpox ==> All of his family got intentional infection with cowpox
- the intentional infection of Benjamin Jesty's family with cowpox ==> The Benjamin's family provided the infection with cowpox
The meaning is changed a little bit.

E is wrong because "intentional" should modify "infection". But "intentionally" is adverb and modifies "saved"

Only B is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: feared his family would take on animal characteristics, Benj   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 23:19