Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2004, 11:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
11. Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new needle-exchange program at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some twenty social action groups.

(A) at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some
(B) as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some
(C) on account of being urged by his own doctor, chief advisers, and a coalition of
(D) as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some
(E) as his own doctor was urging him to do, along with his chief advisers, and a coalition of

Highlight below to see OA
OA is (A)

Is "at the urging" sounds all right to you?
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2004, 23:01
with OA, there is no challange to post the answer. It is also a practice to solve the problems. pls do not post the OA at the begaining, but later.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 09:52
I disagree with MA. I think we should post the OA in the question, if you don't want to know the answer before you make your guess, then just don't highlight. I mean, there is little use in us pontificating about the right answer if we're all wrong. Our task in taking the GMAT is to learn how to answer questions the way they do, right? The right answer is irrelevant if it's not their answer.

So, for the question:

A) Yes, this is the best response. "at the urging" is okay.
B) Too wordy and uncomfortable.
C) Missing "his" before "chief advisers" so unparallel.
D) "as he was urged" could be interpreted as saying "at the same time" so bad.
E) Same problem as D).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 09:53
I disagree with MA. I think we should post the OA in the question, if you don't want to know the answer before you make your guess, then just don't highlight. I mean, there is little use in us pontificating about the right answer if we're all wrong. Our task in taking the GMAT is to learn how to answer questions the way they do, right? The right answer is irrelevant if it's not their answer.

I DO, however, agree that there is no point in people posting questions if the responders aren't going to explain their responses. It adds absolutely no value to just guess at an answer. The person posting the question HAS the answer, they need to know why it's the correct one.

So, for the question:

A) Yes, this is the best response. "at the urging" is okay.
B) Too wordy and uncomfortable.
C) Missing "his" before "chief advisers" so unparallel.
D) "as he was urged" could be interpreted as saying "at the same time" so bad.
E) Same problem as D).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 10:15
qhoc0010,
On urging is not the best way to say it but, in our case every other choice is worse than this. So, it is ok

Praveen

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 10:43
Thanks you guys.

MA, I would prefer to put OA hidden in the first post. Since some people just post the answer and never came back because they forgot. By having OA ready, all they have to do is answer it, double check, and post comment or whatever...
  [#permalink] 23 Dec 2004, 10:43