Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [20]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V48
Send PM
Re: Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ball on the [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm having mixed feelings about question no. 2.

Specifically, I'm seeing counterarguments for OA (answer A) and arguments for answer C.

A. The only way to eliminate the jolt that accompanies most strokes is to hit the ball on the centre of percussion.

The presented explanations refers to the very beginning of the passage where the author states "...many players are unaware of the existence of the second, lesser-known location on the racket face, the centre of percussion, that will also greatly diminish the strain on the player's arm..."

Thus, supposedly, centre of percussion together with "sweet spot" constitute two spots. However, those two spots only "greatly diminish the strain" and do not eliminate it (as the answer would suggest).

Later on in the passage (end of paragraph 3), however, the author says that "when the player strikes the ball at the centre of percussion, her wrist is jerked neither forward nor backward" which suggests that this one place actually "eliminates the jolt".

Hence, according to the passage, there would be only one explicitly mentioned way to "eliminate the jolt".

C. There are at least two different forces acting upon the racket.

In my opinion, the specific fragment that is quoted as providing proof for this statement is actually giving reasons to question it.

The impact of the ball would cause the racket to bounce backwards, experiencing a translational motion away from the ball. The tendency of this motion would be to jerk all parts of the racket, including the end of its handle, backward, or away from the ball. Unless the ball happened to hit the racket precisely at the racket's center of mass, the racket would additionally experience a rotational motion around its center of mass-much as a penny that has been struck near its edge will start to spin.

While I agree that in majority of cases, the fragment clearly states that two forces are exerted on the racket. However, there seems to be an exception - "unless the ball happened to hit the racket precisely at the racket's center of mass, the racket would additionally experience a rotational motion...". In my opinion, this suggests that there is one instance when only one force is exerted on the racket which would make this answer questionable, especially in view of imperfect answer A.

Happy to discuss if you disagree with this reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V45
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ball on the [#permalink]
Kudos
For the second question, I am convinced option D is correct. Please chime in with your counter-opinions.

Counterargument to OA (option A) - centre of percussion seems to eliminate the jolt/strain. The other sweet spot greatly reduces the strain, but does not eliminate. This has also been reiterated in another reply above.

No one has yet spoken about Option D though. "The end of the handle of the racket will jerk forward after striking the ball unless the ball
strikes the racket;s center of mass". Not really. If the ball does not hit the centre of mass, both translational and rotational forces apply, and the racket could jerk forward or backward depending on which force dominates (last line para 2) IF it hits at the centre of mass, then translational force is zero; therefore racket definitely jerks forwards. Either way, option D is untrue. Hence, the correct answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41 (Online)
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey guys,

Can someone help me understand why my thinking is off?

For Q3, I ruled out choice (B) and chose answer (E) instead because I thought:
(B) to provide an explanation of the mechanics of the phenomenon discussed in the passage -> I thought this was wrong because I thought "the mechanics" was referring to the second sweet spot which was explained in Paragraph 3

(E) to explain why the main idea of the passage would be useful for tennis players -> I thought this was right because the physics explained in Paragraph 2 was important to understand why the physics of the sweet spot in Paragraph 3 was important

Thanks in advance!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
JT93 wrote:
Hey guys,

Can someone help me understand why my thinking is off?

For Q3, I ruled out choice (B) and chose answer (E) instead because I thought:
(B) to provide an explanation of the mechanics of the phenomenon discussed in the passage -> I thought this was wrong because I thought "the mechanics" was referring to the second sweet spot which was explained in Paragraph 3

(E) to explain why the main idea of the passage would be useful for tennis players -> I thought this was right because the physics explained in Paragraph 2 was important to understand why the physics of the sweet spot in Paragraph 3 was important

Thanks in advance!

Hi JT93,

It is true that "the mechanics" discussed in the passage is referring to the second sweet spot discusses in the 3rd para, but the 2nd para serves as an explanation for the impact between the ball and the racket. It helps in setting a basic understanding about "impacts", for the second sweet spot, when author mentions: "there is one point of impact, known as the center of percussion, which causes neither motion to predominate,", with both impacts being having been discussed earlier and how a center of percussion spot has none.

Option E is incorrect, as the passage is mostly about the center of percussion and the impacts it has or doesn't, whether it's useful for tennis players or not is not the main concern.

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ball on the [#permalink]
BrainLab wrote:
Got this one right 1.E 2.A 3.B 4.D 5.C

The main point is stated in the 1st paragraph: many players are unaware of the existence of a second, lesser-known location on the racket face, the center of percussion,
that will also greatly diminish the strain...

1. What is the primary message the author is trying to convey? --> General Question (find the main point)
(A) a proposal for an improvement to the design of tennis rackets --> You won't find any information about design in the whole passage....
(B) an examination of the differences between the two types of sweet spot --> There are no differences expained in the passage. In the first paragraph 2 Sweet points are stated. Only 2nd point is described in the followinf paragraphs.
(C) a definition of the translational and rotational forces acting on a tennis racket --> That's not the main point (see explanation above)
(D) a description of the ideal area in which to strike every ball --> It's not the only sweet point, so we can't say that the 2nd sweet point must be used to strike each ball
(E) an explanation of a lesser-known area on a tennis racket that dampens unwanted vibration --> CORRECT. Rephrasing of the main point ; All other choices were already eliminated.

2.According to the passage, all of the following are true of the forces acting upon a tennis
racket striking a ball EXCEPT
(A) The only way to eliminate the jolt that accompanies most strokes is to hit the ball
on the center of percussion --> CORRECT. 2nd sweet point is only one of two possible ways to achieve the elimination of the jolt.
(B) The impact of the ball striking the racket can strain a tennis players arm --> can be found in paragraph
(C) There are at least two different forces acting upon the racket. --> can be found in paragraph
(D) The end of the handle of the racket will jerk forward after striking the ball unless --> can be found in paragraph
the ball strikes the rackets center of mass.

(E) The racket will rebound after it strikes the ball --> can be found in paragraph (bounce back...)

This one most diff. for me... B or D ? Picked B at the end....
3.What is the primary function served by paragraph two in the context of the entire passage?
(A) to establish the main idea of the passage --> Main idea is stated in the 1st paragraph
(B) to provide an explanation of the mechanics of the phenomenon discussed in the
passage -> CORRECT. The 2nd paragraph starts with the words "In order to understand the physics of
this second sweet spot ..."

(C) to introduce a counterargument that elucidates the main idea of the passage --> It explains how the 2nd spot works
(D) to provide an example of the primary subject described in the passage --> To be honest, I can not eliminate this one, B sounds better for me....
(E) to explain why the main idea of the passage would be useful for tennis players --> it describes the mechanics... tennis player is not mentioned in the paragraph at all !

4.The author mentions “a penny that has been struck near its edge” in order to
(A) show how the center of mass causes the racket to spin --> The ball causes the racket to spin and not a center of mass
(B) argue that a penny spins in the exact way that a tennis racket spins --> can not be found in the paragpraph
(C) explain how translational motion works --> rotational motion NOT translational
(D) provide an illustration of a concept --> CORRECT. It's used just as illustration....
(E) demonstrate that pennies and tennis rackets do not spin in the same way --> spins like a penny.... ooposite....

5. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
(A) If a player holds the tennis racket anywhere other than the end of the handle, the
player will experience a jolting sensation. -->can not be found in the paragpraph .. to extreme..
(B) The primary sweet spot is more effective at damping vibration than the secondary
sweet spot --> no comparison can be found
(C) Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a
jarring feeling --> CORRECT. ...strain on a player's arm.
(D) Striking a tennis ball repeatedly at spots other than a sweet spot leads to “tennis
elbow
.” --> can not be found in the paragpraph
(E) If a player lets go of the racket at the moment of impact, the simultaneous forward
and backward impetus causes the racket to drop straight to the ground --> can not be found in the paragpraph

carcass , For Q 5, Option C: Author is talking about 2 spots in this para, Node and center of percurssion. Option C mentions only 1 , ignoring the first sweet spot. So if we consider 1st one, center of percussion is not he only way, making Option C fall apart. How it can be correct one
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos