Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 May 2015, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as a [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 17:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as a treatment for the common cold, research has revealed no consistent effect. Recently, however, a zinc gel applied nasally has been shown to greatly reduce the duration of colds. Since the gel contains zinc in the same form and concentration as the lozenges, the greater effectiveness of the gel must be due to the fact that cold viruses tend to concentrate in the nose, not the mouth.

In order to evaluate the argument, it would be most helpful to determine which of the following?

A. Whether zinc is effective only against colds, or also has an effect on other virally caused diseases
B. Whether there are remedies that do not contain zinc but that, when taken orally, can reduce the duration of colds
C. Whether people who frequently catch colds have a zinc deficiency
D. Whether either the zinc gel or the lozenges contain ingredients that have an impact on the activity of the zinc
E. Whether the zinc gel has an effect on the severity of cold symptoms, as well as on their duration
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 18:17
B

if the cold is curable through oral means, then the conclusion is weakened and that concentration may be in the mouth
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 21:47
I think it's D
Because zinc taken nasally reduces the effects of the cold while the oral form does not, it shows IMO that zinc is effective. Maybe something in the composition of the lozenge that happens to be absent from the gel cancels out the healing effect of oral zinc treatment.
It's not asking to strengthen or weaken the argument, just to evaluate it. Otherwise, B seems like the weakening option. I just think D helps us to better evaluate the subject matter.
Any other thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 08:29
simonsanchez wrote:
I think it's D
Because zinc taken nasally reduces the effects of the cold while the oral form does not, it shows IMO that zinc is effective. Maybe something in the composition of the lozenge that happens to be absent from the gel cancels out the healing effect of oral zinc treatment.
It's not asking to strengthen or weaken the argument, just to evaluate it. Otherwise, B seems like the weakening option. I just think D helps us to better evaluate the subject matter.
Any other thoughts?

I agree with simonsanchez. I like D as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: cr Zinc [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 09:06
stevegt wrote:
Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as a treatment for the common cold, research has revealed no consistent effect. Recently, however, a zinc gel applied nasally has been shown to greatly reduce the duration of colds. Since the gel contains zinc in the same form and concentration as the lozenges, the greater effectiveness of the gel must be due to the fact that cold viruses tend to concentrate in the nose, not the mouth.

In order to evaluate the argument, it would be most helpful to determine which of the following?

A. Whether zinc is effective only against colds, or also has an effect on other virally caused diseases
B. Whether there are remedies that do not contain zinc but that, when taken orally, can reduce the duration of colds
D. Whether either the zinc gel or the lozenges contain ingredients that have an impact on the activity of the zinc
E. Whether the zinc gel has an effect on the severity of cold symptoms, as well as on their duration

Has to be B. Activity of zinc cannot help us determine the part in bold. Hence, cannot be D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 09:41
Donno. Not really convinced by the answers given thus far by people. I feel it should be E :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: cr Zinc [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 09:42
sumande wrote:
stevegt wrote:

Has to be B. Activity of zinc cannot help us determine the part in bold. Hence, cannot be D.

agree with Suman. Even if D is true, one can't tell with confidence that cold viruses concenrate in nose, not in mouth.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 10:29
I agree with the D people. B. to me, seems out of scope.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 02:57
Should be 'E'.

In order to evaluate the argument, we need to be sure that the zinc gel reduces the cold severity as well as the cold duration. Reduction of cold duration is mentioned earlier. But reduction in cold severity is not mentioned.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

To zinc or not to zinc. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 03:52
I think the answer is D.Because it gives a reason other than what is presented in the argument,As if questions whether there are other reasons.I am only worried if i have gone out of scope.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 05:09
I believe it's D.

-Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 05:37
So, what is the OA and OE to this one? Can somebody post it?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 07:41
asaf wrote:
I agree with the D people. B. to me, seems out of scope.

Agree with asaf...The argument is abt zinc substances...B is way out of scope.

D is the answer.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 12

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 10:05
yea it's got to be D
  [#permalink] 13 Jul 2007, 10:05