Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 07 Jul 2015, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 01:53
C for me too. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 00:32
+1 for C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 476

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 13:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 07:01
well explained mashtrap ... kudos for you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 99

Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2015, 08:17
zz0vlb wrote:
Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment for the common cold, research has revealed no consistant effect. Recently,however, a zinc gel applied nasally has been shown
to greatly reduce the duration of colds. Since the gel contains zinc in the same form and concentration as the lozenges, the greater the effectiveness of the gel must be due to the fact that cold virus tend to concentrate in the nose, not the mouth.

Which of the following, if true , most sesiously weakens the argument?

A. Expiremental subjects who used the zinc gel not only had colds of shorter duration but also had less sever symptoms than did those who used a gel that did not contain zinc.
B. The mechanism by which zinc effects the viruses that caused the common cold has not been conclusively established.
C. to make them palatable, zinc lozenges generally contains other ingredients, such as citric acid,, that can interfer with the chemical activity of zinc.
D. no Zinc based remedy can have any effect unless it is taken or applied within 48 hrs of the onset of cold symptoms.
E. Drug company researchers experimenting with nasal spray beased on zinc have found that it has much the same effect on colds as the gel does.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Please, I need explaination whether A or E weakens the argument, if not why??

Both A and E are out of scope.

A : talks about the gel that don't contain zinc. OFS

E: talks about nasal spray,which is not of our concern. OFS

D: OFS

B: OFS

Leaving answer C.
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 2

Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2015, 01:16
Expert's post
Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment for the common cold, research has revealed no consistent effect. Recently,however, a zinc gel applied nasally has been shown
to greatly reduce the duration of colds. Since the gel contains zinc in the same form and concentration as the lozenges, the greater the effectiveness of the gel must be due to the fact that cold virus tend to concentrate in the nose, not the mouth.

Which of the following, if true , most seriously weakens the argument?

The argument is that zinc works better in the nose than in the mouth because the cold virus concentrates in the nose. The statement that weakens the argument will provide a different explanation for the efficacy of zinc in the nose compared to the mouth.

A. Experimental subjects who used the zinc gel not only had colds of shorter duration but also had less sever symptoms than did those who used a gel that did not contain zinc.out of scope - We are not interested in comparing zinc and no zinc, nor the specific effects of zinc.
B. The mechanism by which zinc effects the viruses that caused the common cold has not been conclusively established. The mechanism of zinc is out of scope.
C. to make them palatable, zinc lozenges generally contains other ingredients, such as citric acid, that can interfere with the chemical activity of zinc. This provides an alternative explanation for zinc's increased efficacy in the nose compared to the mouth. In the mouth zinc's efficacy is reduced by chemical activity with citric acid.
D. no Zinc based remedy can have any effect unless it is taken or applied within 48 hrs of the onset of cold symptoms. The time frame in which zinc-based remedies are applied is out of scope.
E. Drug company researchers experimenting with nasal spray based on zinc have found that it has much the same effect on colds as the gel does. There's no mention here of oral zinc remedies. This is only comparing two ways to apply zinc to the nose.

Cassandra Wolff
Customer Support | Optimus Prep

Facebook Linkedin Youtube Twitter slideshare Google+

Intern
Intern
WE: Other (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 174

CAT Tests
Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2015, 06:01
The correct answer choice is C. The argument contains casualty and uses casualty as an assumption linking the premise and the conclusion. The premise says that since the amount of zinc used is same for both medications, and since effects are different. But answer choice C is introducing new information about lozenge, saying that it contains some other things that can interfere with the chemical activity of zinc.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-14-2015
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 39

Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2015, 07:47
Cause and Effect passage.
Argument says, Cause (Application of Zinc in nose not in mouth) has created an effect ( Consistent result, to tackle cold).

typical Weakener for CE passage can be any of the following
1. Alternate cause
2. Effect causing Cause
3. Effect happen before cause.

Lets try to find the above pattern in option choice.
Only Option C, gives me the alternate cause for the effect.

Hence Option c is more appropriate.
Re: Though sucking zinc lozenges has been promoted as treatment   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2015, 07:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ]