Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though the term

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Posts: 112
Location: Where you mind is
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Though the term [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 20:48
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:50) correct 27% (01:07) wrong based on 855 sessions
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by PiyushK on 10 Sep 2014, 00:24, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the Question.Typo in Option E
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 1026
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 20:51
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term ‘graphic design’ may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging


may...suggest..

graphic design + singlular

B is my choice.
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 20:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Add me to the B list.
widely ranging from is wierd.
Also, I think tha usage of has signified (present perfect) is unecessary here.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1388
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 21:16
C is out 'cos of a widely ranging from

B shoudl be it
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 21:47
Hang Tuah - Welcome to GMATland buddy ! OG10 -11 twice and you will sure not turn back to these petty questions :-D

B
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5095
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 02:04
A --> 'they' has no clear referent
C --> changes the meaning of graphic design to a noun 'brochures'
D,E --> perfect tenses not required in this instance as we are not emphasizing the timelines of two events

B is the best.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 746
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 13:02
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging - WRONG (they referring to a singular 'term').

(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of - Gramatically fine.

(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging - Changes the meaning

(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of - CHanges the meaning.

(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging - Use of 'they' which refers to a singular.

So B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 271
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 04:36
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them


Last edited by saxenashobhit on 03 May 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 05:36
"B" for me.

"they " - Goes with plural. Which narrow down my choice with B and D to select "it"
"D" doesnt agree with singular . "have" goes with plural
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 07:11
B. Only answer that doesn't break any rules.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 65
Location: Hyderabad, India
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 20:59
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging


A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging...wrong
B) Keep it on hold...seems ok
C)suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging....something wrong here..if it were ranging from x to y it would have been correct...anyways this construction is faulty..so wrong.
D) Here the construction....(has suggested... it has signified..) is faulty as the time gap is not clear...I mean what is refers to and what it has refereed in past or any other time.
E) Wrong as well because it uses they


So B is answer though it is not the best construction.
_________________

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1364
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 21:44
B is in, C has problems of tense and widely ranging.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 467
Location: Texas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 17:58
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 235
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 06:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging


point to be noted...the term "graphic design" is singular

Also, the above statement is a fact and it has to be in simple present tense...

now have and has need not be there....hence D & E options are ruled out

so now coming to A, it has THEY HAVE COME..so knockoff this off...

so now we are left with B & C

the term would have come to signify something, not signified something... hence B is the CORRECT Answer
_________________

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 134
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 177 [1] , given: 33

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 07:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.



Term is singular hence after comma, we need it not they. A, E are out.
Hence B is the correct option.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: entire construction and meaning is awkward.
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
_________________

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.



Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989


Last edited by dvinoth86 on 07 May 2012, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3680 [10] , given: 185

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 08:20
10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
agdimple333 wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?


Hi there,

Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

Notice the word "may" before "suggest" that fall in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. With "may", "can", "will", we can only use "plural" verb. Hence, even if "term" is singular, because of presence of "may" the verb followed by it must be a plural verb. Hence, option E can be eliminated right away on this basis as use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may".

Here is the detailed solution of this question:

Image

Marker though suggests the sentence presents a contrast. “Graphic design” may be thought of as designing corporate brochures and annual reports. However, it encompasses a wide range of work including package design, company logotypes, signs, book jackets, computer graphics and film titles.

Image

• Pronoun error – plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

POE:

Choice A: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of: Correct.

Choice C: suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: Incorrect.
a. Per the intended meaning, this term has come to signify or has evolved to signify all scopes of graphic design.
i. Intended meaning – Although term was meant to do X, it has now evolved to do A,B,C
b. Meaning per choice C – Although term was meant to describe X, it does A,B,C.
c. For example:
i. Per Choice A - Although Mark Z originally created facebook to communicate with his friends, it has evolved as the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
ii. Per Choice D - Although Mark Z may have created facebook to communicate with his friends, it is the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
d. Meaning has been changed by changing “has come to do X” to “does X”. This removes the intended meaning of “evolution”.

Choice D: have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of: Incorrect. Similar meaning distortion error as in Choice C.

Choice E: has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect. Use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may". Plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

PS: This question is in OG Verbal Review 2 and answer choice E reads "have suggested..." unlike the answer choice E written by the original poster that reads "has suggested...".

Image

1. Pronouns must agree in number with their antecedents.
2. The correct answer should communicate the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 549
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 562

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 19:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
agdimple333 wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?


Hi there,

Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

Notice the word "may" before "suggest" that fall in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. With "may", "can", "will", we can only use "plural" verb. Hence, even if "term" is singular, because of presence of "may" the verb followed by it must be a plural verb. Hence, option E can be eliminated right away on this basis as use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may".

Here is the detailed solution of this question:

Image

Marker though suggests the sentence presents a contrast. “Graphic design” may be thought of as designing corporate brochures and annual reports. However, it encompasses a wide range of work including package design, company logotypes, signs, book jackets, computer graphics and film titles.

Image

• Pronoun error – plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

POE:

Choice A: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of: Correct.

Choice C: suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: Incorrect.
a. Per the intended meaning, this term has come to signify or has evolved to signify all scopes of graphic design.
i. Intended meaning – Although term was meant to do X, it has now evolved to do A,B,C
b. Meaning per choice C – Although term was meant to describe X, it does A,B,C.
c. For example:
i. Per Choice A - Although Mark Z originally created facebook to communicate with his friends, it has evolved as the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
ii. Per Choice D - Although Mark Z may have created facebook to communicate with his friends, it is the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
d. Meaning has been changed by changing “has come to do X” to “does X”. This removes the intended meaning of “evolution”.

Choice D: have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of: Incorrect. Similar meaning distortion error as in Choice C.

Choice E: has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect. Use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may". Plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

PS: This question is in OG Verbal Review 2 and answer choice E reads "have suggested..." unlike the answer choice E written by the original poster that reads "has suggested...".

Image

1. Pronouns must agree in number with their antecedents.
2. The correct answer should communicate the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Thanks the OG says that D is wrong because 'have suggested' does not agree with 'term' and this explanation of OG is clearly flawed..

I have problem with getting the intended meaning from the different tenses that are used. Not really sure how I should improve upon this...
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 182
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 15:42
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of OK but a better sentence could exist

(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging - brochure seems separate from layout, so there is a definite change of meaning; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of Verb tenses "have" and "has" signify that actions occurred in the past but effects are still present, changing the meaning of the sentence. It´s also not clear which action occurred first

(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" is pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant
_________________

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 17:30
And why the word "Work" is also underlined?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 14

Re: Though the term [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 18:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is B..

They is plural so it cannot be used. A and E are out.

C,D refer to the layout..Laying out corporate brochers is different from Corporate brochure and report layout.They both have different meanings.Layout out refers to planning and construction.Brochure layout refers to the format of the brochure
_________________

"Kudos" will help me a lot!!!!!!Please donate some!!!

Completed
Official Quant Review
OG - Quant


In Progress
Official Verbal Review
OG 13th ed
MGMAT IR
AWA Structure

Yet to do
100 700+ SC questions
MR Verbal
MR Quant


Verbal is a ghost. Cant find head and tail of it.

Re: Though the term   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 18:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Though the term"graphic design"may suggest laying out corpor Mohitbhatia880 0 17 May 2014, 23:37
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying qinxiong 4 16 Nov 2012, 07:09
2 Though the term graphic design may suggest laying out arps 3 22 Jan 2012, 15:57
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo Taku 36 13 Feb 2005, 01:05
Original sentence: Though the term "graphic lumone 1 30 Sep 2007, 02:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Though the term

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.