Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 10:42
neeshpal wrote:
yeh OA is B.

but i am still confused.

Ok we can eliminate all other based on one or the other thing but then what about "suggests" instead of "suggest" because the subject is singular.

can you comment on this.

We cannot put 'suggests' after 'may' because 'may' is a modal verb, therefore we should use the infinitive form of the verb ' to suggest'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 21:50
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging – it’s a term , so they is not required
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of – no problem
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging – the term here is not for suggesting brochure but the design
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of – have suggested shows the action is just complete..
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging - again they is not required and have suggested indicates that the action is just over
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Graphic design [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 11:44
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they
have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book
jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely
ranging

The OA is B. What is wrong in D?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Graphic design [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 12:02
tispot wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they
have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book
jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely
ranging

The OA is B. What is wrong in D?

I think it is B. A is wrong for using 'they' and ranging.

D is wrong for using 'may have suggested' changes the meaning .. and I dont thing 'may' goes with 'have suggested' it should be 'might have suggested' but this also changes the meaning ..(past unreal).

IMO B
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Graphic design [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 00:58
IMO B.

D is wrong because 'have suggested' is incorrect. Use of simple tense is correct as it still suggests the same in present and is not completed yet.
Also, 'has come' need not be parallel with the 'suggest' as it conveys different meaning that the action(coming) has completed with respect to present.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 05:37
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi mates,

IMO D

A out. "they" is not correct, it should be "it" as it refers to "graphic design"
B out (although it was a semifinalist). For me, "it has come to" sounds wordy
C out. "ranging" sounds wordy
E out. same error as in A

OA and Source?

Reagrds

I ruled out D because it doesn’t convey in the original meaning, which contrasted the past tense meaning to its current interpretation. D keeps everything in the past tense and doesn't show how the meaning has changed from the past to present. B upholds this meaning.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 06:17
neeshpal wrote:
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

please provide explanations...

A. "the term" is singular, 'they have' is plural.
B. Looks Good, keep it as a contender
C. 'the term' does not suggest a 'layout'
D. 'Have suggested', 'layout' - incorrect
E. 'have suggested', 'they' - incorrect

B is the winner
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:32
Thought the term may suggest.... [requires the base form of verb - suggest]
The referent "it" appropriately modifies "the term"
Also, "wide range of work, from X, Y and Z" is better than "widely ranging work, from X, Y, and Z"
Option B fits better in this context.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 04:22
THEY shuld ne IT
CORRECT
LAYING OUT is needed
HAVE is incorrect

(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
HAVE is incorrect
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 20:26
If we split the options, we have a 3 - 2 split between 'suggest' and 'have'.
There is a 3 - 2 split between 'it' and 'they'.

It, its are singular pronouns. They, them, their are plural. Since, the pronoun is referring to the 'term', it has to be singular. Hence, we can eliminate A and E.

Among B, C and D. there is a 2 - 1 split between 'suggest' and 'have'. The sentence is beginning with a subordinate 'Though'. I would prefer 'Simple Present'. Hence, we can eliminate D.

Between B and C, B looks better because, because the tense is maintained. Also, C changes the meaning of the sentence, by removing 'layout'

Hence, I will go with B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 21:13
Yes B is the clear choice here ....

A has subject verb issue in "they"

C has a noun issue in "layout"

D and E the construction is awkward and "have" is there
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

verb tense [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 18:07
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles

B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of

D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of

The correct answer is B; however, I'm not clear with the explanation of choice D (below)
Have suggested does not agree with term. The verb tenses suggest a completed action rather than an ongoing one.

I'm not sure what is wrong with "have suggested". Yes, the subject is singular, but we have "may"....so does it mean that we can say "the term may has suggested..."?? For example, we say "he may do"...we don't say "he may does"

Because of "may" I thought that the verb following it cannot be singular...am I wrong?

something else..the explanation says that the verb tenses suggest a completed action...well, have suggested and has signified refer to verbs that started in the past, but they are still continuing in the present. So how come the explanation says that the actions are completed?

Thanks,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles

B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of

D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of

The correct answer is B; however, I'm not clear with the explanation of choice D (below)
Have suggested does not agree with term. The verb tenses suggest a completed action rather than an ongoing one.

I'm not sure what is wrong with "have suggested". Yes, the subject is singular, but we have "may"....so does it mean that we can say "the term may has suggested..."?? For example, we say "he may do"...we don't say "he may does"

Because of "may" I thought that the verb following it cannot be singular...am I wrong?

something else..the explanation says that the verb tenses suggest a completed action...well, have suggested and has signified refer to verbs that started in the past, but they are still continuing in the present. So how come the explanation says that the actions are completed?

Thanks,

The term may suggest versus the term may have suggested? The 'may have suggested' implies that the term is no longer in use. Suppose we were talking about obsolete terms like the word beck. (Which as far as I can tell is only used within an almost obsolete idiom). Then if we were to say, "the term 'beck' may have suggested . . ." we would be commenting on what its once-upon-a-time meaning was. In the paragraph given we are talking about its current and recent past usage.

Does this help? If you found this helpful please offer kudos.
Skip
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 06:57
can somebody explain why option "D" here is wrong. I came down to B and D and marked D. The explanations above are little confusing for me. Help please....
Intern
Intern
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Though the term"graphic design"may suggest laying out corpor [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 23:37
Though the term"graphic design"may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs,book jackets,computer graphics, and film titles.

Please explain why is B the correct answer. Since the subject is singular it should be a singular verb "suggests" which is not in the option.

Last edited by carcass on 18 May 2014, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2340 [0], given: 693

Re: Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 00:38
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 00:59
"may/might have doen" is used to talk of possibility in the past but did not happen and is wrong in D and E.

"wide range of " is an idiom
"widely ranging " is not idiomatic

is that right?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 00:59