Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corpo [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 01:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:05) correct 34% (00:57) wrong based on 76 sessions
Though the term"graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs,book jackets,computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) : suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) : suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) : suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) : have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) : have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

Thank you for your help!

Dear readers,
Can somebody support me to understand why "has come to signify" is NOT "present perfect tense"?

In the explanation page of OG, it is said that "The present perfect tense is used inappropriately in Choice C(has signified), D(have suggested....has signified), and E(have suggested) to indicate recently completed rather than ongoing action".

However, I see "present perfect tense" in the right answer, Choice B(has come to signify), don't I ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by carcass on 18 May 2014, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 06:26
Hi, just came across this post.
Indeed even B uses present perfect tense, but in a form which indicates that the action is still ongoing.
However I am not certain why should it show an ongoing action and what is wrong with the completed action. Can someone refute D?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 15:18
I would say "graphic design" is singular and "it" in the latter half points to "graphic design".
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 04:44
bump up - can anyone explain why B does not use present perfect?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 07:26
I can say that I can explain it well. But I will try.

I think for things which are routine or have a specific way, need to be in present tense because they still happen. You use present perfect to indicate something started at some time (specified by for or since) and is continuing... for example

You can say
I brush my teeth.
or
I have been brushing my teeth since childhood.
or
I have been brushing my teeth for the last 8 years.

but I dont think you would say
I have been brushing my teeth.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: OG SC No. 77 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 13:01
Taku wrote:
Dear readers,
Can somebody support me to understand why "has come to signify" is NOT "present perfect tense"?

In the explanation page of OG, it is said that "The present perfect tense is used inappropriately in Choice C(has signified), D(have suggested....has signified), and E(have suggested) to indicate recently completed rather than ongoing action".

However, I see "present perfect tense" in the right answer, Choice B(has come to signify), don't I ?

OG SC #77
----------------------------------
Though the term graphic design may "suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging" work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computor graphics and film titles.

(A) : same as above
(B) : suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) : suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) : have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) : have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

You are partly misunderstanding the OG explanation. "Has come to signify" is indeed present perfect tense, you're right about that, so I see your confusion. But this OG explanation is not saying that it's incorrect to use present perfect in the sentence. It's saying the particular usages in choices C, D, & E are incorrect.

Key here is that there is a big qualitative difference between the phrases "has come to signify" and merely "has signified".

They both show a completed action. But in the first, the completed action is the "coming" (snicker). The act of coming is complete, with the result that the state of signifying now prevails.

If you say "Bob has come to my house", then Bob is still be at your house, even though the action of coming is completed, right? If you say "X has come to signify", then X still signifies.

But the present perfect verb "has signified" implies that the process of signifying is complete, and the subject no longer signifies what it once did. That is not appropriate for what this GMAT question is saying.

That is why C & D are wrong. D & E also are wrong in that the correct present tense suggest is inappropriately flipped to the present perfect "have suggested", which changes meaning.

Bottom line, (B) accurately uses present perfect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 18:54
Another way to look at this question, is to look at the subject-verb agreement first.

We has 'it has come' ve 'they have come' and 'they' is obviously the wrong pronoun for graphic design. So we can rule out A and E.

Next, we can rule out C as 'widely ranging' is awkward and not idiomatic

Finally, we can rule out as the meaning of the sentence changes with the use of past tense. It suggests that today, the term graphic design means something else other than the layout of corporate brochure and annual report.

B is best
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

past tense V/s present perfect ... [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 17:11
Hi:
How to chose between past tense and present perfect. OG some times explain the present perfect means action is continuing in present eg : Q 21 in purple book, where sometimes it says past perfect as completed action as eg: Q44

21:
it is possible that native americans originally have migrated to the Weestern Hemisphere over a bridge of land that once existed between siberia and alaska.

is wrong because "have migrated" means migration is continuing.
44)
Though t he term"graphic design' may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reporrts, they have come to signfy widely ranging work

"suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reporrts, it has signfied a wide range of work" is wrong because has signfied means action is completed in past.

any explaination will help ..
thanks,
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: past tense V/s present perfect ... [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 17:32
Present perfect implies that the verb occurred in the past and is still going on. In case 1 "have migrated" is incorrect. The migration is over. Simply "migrated" is best there.

Case 2. "they have come to signify" is wrong , it should be "it has come to signify" for obvious SV issues. The usage of has is correct here. It implies that the "term" means something currently and not that the term meant something in the past.
Manager
Manager

Re: past tense V/s present perfect ... [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 17:56
BSD lover:

My confusion whether to treat present perfect as something currently going on OR something in past.

For Q21 : OG explains "Have migrated" as migration is currently going on.
For Q44 : OG explains "has signfiied" as completed action.

How do we explain for present perfect - acyion currently going on - action completed ?

Do we figure out based on meaning of entire sentence ?

thnks,
Manager
Manager

Re: past tense V/s present perfect ... [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 18:06
i guess i have found a way to explain my self.

present perfect implies 2 conditions :
1. started in past
2. and continuing in present.
based on this we can 3 wrong usage :
Q 21 is wrong because of (2) reason
Q44 is wrong because of 1) reason

I guess u were sayingg the same thingg .
thnks,
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: past tense V/s present perfect ... [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 22:15
Yup thats right - present perfect = action still going on. Simple rule but easy to get wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 06:33
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

please provide explanations...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 12:30
IMO B, all other choices are grammatically incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 13

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 13:07
Hi mates,

IMO D

A out. "they" is not correct, it should be "it" as it refers to "graphic design"
B out (although it was a semifinalist). For me, "it has come to" sounds wordy
C out. "ranging" sounds wordy
E out. same error as in A

OA and Source?

Reagrds

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 16:57
A - 'they' does not match 'the term' in number
C - a noun can't be after the word 'suggest' in this context
D, E - too verbose, unnecessarily complex
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 06:00
peraspera wrote:

so is it that after the word "may" only the plural form of the verb may come, no matter whether subject is singular. beause here subject is "the term" , which is singular.

i think then we can eliminate D too on the basis of reasons you mentioned for C. looks like term is suggesting to "corporate brochures and reports"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 08:01
neeshpal wrote:
peraspera wrote:

so is it that after the word "may" only the plural form of the verb may come, no matter whether subject is singular. beause here subject is "the term" , which is singular.

i think then we can eliminate D too on the basis of reasons you mentioned for C. looks like term is suggesting to "corporate brochures and reports"

No, your supposition about only plural after 'may' is incorrect. I said 'in this context'.
B is a better fit over C also because of the construction 'though... it has come to...'. It fits the overall meaning of the sentence better.

What's OA, by the way? Is it B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 08:33
peraspera wrote:
neeshpal wrote:
peraspera wrote:

No, your supposition about only plural after 'may' is incorrect. I said 'in this context'.
B is a better fit over C also because of the construction 'though... it has come to...'. It fits the overall meaning of the sentence better.

What's OA, by the way? Is it B?

yeh OA is B.

but i am still confused.

Ok we can eliminate all other based on one or the other thing but then what about "suggests" instead of "suggest" because the subject is singular.

can you comment on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - graphic design [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 09:57
Here's my take on this question. This is very good question.
First this sentence is in subjunctive mood. So only suggest even after the singular subject. Well even if we don't know this nothing to worry, as all choices deal only in the subjunctive mood here. Now after this we can find 3 contendores, B, C, D on the usage of 'it'(singular subject, refering back to the term). Now d is also out because of have. Between B and C, initally I chose C, but later realized why B is correct. Answer lies with the use of widely vs wide.
If we use widely(adverb) that means we are saying signified widely but if we use wide that means we say wide(adjective) range of work(thats what sentence whats, refer to the later part of the sentence).

Hope this is helpful.
Re: SC - graphic design   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2009, 09:57