Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (01:29) correct 81% (00:59) wrong based on 63 sessions
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(A) Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
(B) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
(C) Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
(D) When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed
of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
(E) Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous
when they are viewed from a distance.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 10 Nov 2010, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Saturn's main rings. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 19:30
D is the only one that makes sense to me..
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1619 [0], given: 249

Re: Saturn's main rings. [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 03:14
Expert's post
@Reshma: From what it looks, the entire passage is to be underlined I suppose, in contrast to the part - underlining given in the text. This makes a significant difference to the concept of Sentence correction in GMAT, wherein we are supposed to take the non - underlined portion, per se, as correct.

Secondly the author’s reasoning that choice is A is not correct, because it repeats the original, is erroneous. A is not right because it has some error but not because of repetition. In fact aren’t all A choices invariably repeats of the original? But a good one-fifth of them may contain no error and hence will be the right answers. How did the original miss this?

However, this doesn’t in any way divert the debate on the usage of although vs. when or close viewing vs. viewed close up.

Am I right?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: Saturn's main rings. [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 19:01
OA is D.

I chose B on the practice exam.

B: 'composed of thousands of icy ringlets when viewd up close' suggests that viewing up close changed the property of the Saturn's rings.

D: I thought that 'reveals them to be composed of' was unnessary and wordy, but D conveys the meaning correctly and avoids appears 'to be'. Appear (o) vs Appears to be (x redundant)

A lot of 700+ questions seem to play with meaning rather than grammar.
These questions are absolutely devastating in a real exam as you have much less time to think.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1121

Kudos [?]: 5089 [1] , given: 164

Re: Saturn's main rings. [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 19:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vibhutirs wrote:
Why not B?

"they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close."

because B implies that when they are viewed up close, they are composed of thousands of separate icy crystals. This is incorrect. They are composed of icy ringlets, no matter where you view them from. When you view up close, it only reveals their composition.
B has inaccurate meaning error.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Saturn's main rings. [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 04:45
All other options except D tend to imply that the rings are formed 'when viewed up close' and not at other times!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:51
The original sentence introduces the main clause with "though viewed from a
distance", which sets up the expectation of a contradiction that never materializes.
For example, "Though sleepy, the child stayed awake" is correct, whereas "Though
sleepy, the child may have eaten soup" is not. Also, "when viewed up close" is placed
in such a way as to illogically suggest that the rings are composed of icy ringlets as a
result of being viewed up close. Finally, "appear to be" is redundant.
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice incorrectly introduces
the main clause with "though." Additionally, the placement of "when viewed up close"
illogically suggests that the rings are composed of icy ringlets as a result of being
viewed up close.
(C) This choice incorrectly uses the redundant phrase "appears to
be." Additionally, the use and placement of the words "when viewed up close, they
are . . ." illogically suggests that the rings are composed of icy ringlets as a result of
being viewed up close.
(D) CORRECT. This choice replaces "though" with "when"
and shortens "appear to be" to "appear." Further, its use of the phrase "closer viewing
reveals" clearly indicates that the close viewing only reveals (not causes) the
composition of the rings.

(E) This choice incorrectly introduces the main clause with
"though." Additionally, the placement of "if viewed up close" illogically suggests that
the rings are composed of icy ringlets as a result of being viewed up close.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:58
+1 B

I read in a verbal post that for completely underlined sentences the answer is 90% of the times D or E.

Any one has had a similar experience?

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 31

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 22:13
D for me, correctly said hope these kindda question stays away on gmat

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 08:47
Nice question. Thanks Karishma for the explanation.
Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2012, 08:47