Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 59

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 10:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:49) correct 69% (01:16) wrong based on 79 sessions
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close

A. ......
B. Though Saturn's rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close
C. Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
D. When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
E. Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance

Please explain all answer choices for discussion

OA to be revealed later
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Last edited by sdas on 27 Mar 2013, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Though viewed from a distance [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:13
A. Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close
"infact" is the wrong connector here, and "they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close" seems to say that the rings are composed of ice when viewed, not normally...
B. Though Saturn's rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close
The part after the comma in not clear, again it seems to say that they are composed by ice when viewed up close, and not normally
C. Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
The second comma is not necessary, and "when viewed up close they are..." has the same problem as A and B
D. When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
IMO D
E. Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance
"composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close" and if I don't see them, how are they?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Though viewed from a distance [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:39
sdas wrote:
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close

A. ......

Please explain all answer choices for discussion

OA to be revealed later

Comparison is between the appearance and the actual composition of the Saturn' rings.
IMO B should be the correct ans , not sure if D is the right ans.
Awaiting some more inputs..

Regds
Sony

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: Though viewed from a distance [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 16:09
IMHO d ..

The in fact keyword when tied with when looked closer makes the choices - a, b, c, e

Posted from my mobile device Image

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Last edited by nt2010 on 27 Mar 2013, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Though viewed from a distance [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 19:22

A. ......

==================================================================
I have one Q on this that in all options we are doing viewing in simple past and rings are appearing in simple present.
in option D ,It is written as

but I think
while viewing from a distance, Saturn's main rings appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets

OR
from a distance, Saturn's main rings appeared smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
am I in right direction ,Please explain ? may be I am lacking somewhere ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kudos will help me to unlock Gmat club test :) I appreciate if you give one to me :)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [2] , given: 59

Re: Though viewed from a distance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi tgt2012,
Let me try answer your question:

Question 1
Viewed in all options are verb ed modifiers, modifying the preceding noun "Saturn' main rings" the action verb here are "may appear" (simple present with modal) and "reveals" (simple present) and "are composed" (simple past).

Question 2
Difference in use of "while" and "when"

While - represents two actions happening simultaneously
While I was studying, Joe was singing,

When - represents time/periods
When I look at him, I feel so proud of his achievements

Question 3
You cannot use appeared, here verb ed is acting as an action verb in simple past tense. It is a fact which can be expressed by simple present only

Main question explanation
Options A, B and E are showing comparisons, if you understand the meaning clearly, we intend to bring in a contrast instead of a comparison.

Likewise Choice C is also comparing.

This leaves us with Choice D - which correctly contrasts with gerund "viewing" and also avoids use of "may" as Saturn's .... as a fact appears smooth.....always when viewed from a distance. Uses correct verb tense. both in simple present stating facts.

Other critical point to notice in all other options is that the meaning is distorted in all of them....how?

A. they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close
B. they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close
C. though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets
E. Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close

saturn always have thousands of icy ringlets - irrespective of "if viewed close/though when viewed up close/when viewed up close" rather a close view only reveals the fact (no if or though)

Hope these explains your doubts.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Though viewed from a distance   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 11:14