Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 21:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:23) wrong based on 9 sessions
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

a) Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
b) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
c) Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
d) When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
e) Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 21:41
Is it B?

parallelism and correct modifier
...appear smooth... when viewed from a distance
... composed of ....when viewed upclose

A - Incorrect modifier - seems like Saturn's rings viewed themselves
D - closer viewing ...them ... don't like the ing form and them
E - weird sentence.... if viewed upclose..

Not able to refute C, but somehow seems awkward.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 00:03
Both B and C looks fine to me.

But on the exam I would have selcted C. I don't know why, but I am seeing better contrast in C.

Correct me guys!!!!

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Saturn [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 02:02
cool_jonny009 wrote:
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

a) Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
b) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.
c) Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
d) When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.
e) Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.

A similiar problem is also stated in the document Dahiya provided. In B when is wrong since it is illogocal (red part).

C is the right answer
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 07:56
C for me too
they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets))) no matter how close or far you look on them))

IE IMBA 2010

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 14:21
Nothing wrong with D.
B and C have errors that I can identify...can elaborate if needed.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 16:55
lhotseface,

you got it ...OA is D .

pls explain !!!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 19:39
b) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close. -- refers to the icy ringlets viewed up close as opposed to the rings.

-------------- though introducing a clause doesn't seem right.

cool_jonny009 wrote:
lhotseface,

you got it ...OA is D .

pls explain !!!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2006, 06:45
lhotseface,

why u think that "though" is not right in C. As its a right "conjuction" and is connecting two phrases..

Also in D can you please explain why "but closer viewing" is right.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2006, 20:39
D just doesn`t seem parallel :?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2006, 13:39
Whether you view them from distance or from close, fact will remain a fact and the fact is that the rings are composed of ...

B and C distort the above meaning. D communicates it clearly.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 08:01
B makes comlete sense and seems parallel in all senses.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2006, 22:09
shailu22 has a good explanation. I can't put it in better words.

cool_jonny009 wrote:
lhotseface,

why u think that "though" is not right in C. As its a right "conjuction" and is connecting two phrases..

Also in D can you please explain why "but closer viewing" is right.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:55
cool_jonny009 wrote:

i pick B here. as far i know though is followed by a clause. A is out. c is just convoluted and wordy. the intended meaning is just reversed in D. though and if are unnecessarily used in the same clause. please correct my reasoning. i will be glad to you

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 11:21
shailu22 wrote:
Whether you view them from distance or from close, fact will remain a fact and the fact is that the rings are composed of ...

B and C distort the above meaning. D communicates it clearly.

This is what I was thinking. "...they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close." implies logically that when not viewed up close they are not composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets. We can infer that this is not the intended meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 37

Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 12:08
After reading sentence, we can see that it's decent, but "when viewed up close" and "in fact" aren't both needed.

- So eliminate A
- Eliminate B for same reason
- Eliminate C for same reason
- Eliminate E for poor structure

:. D
Re: Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 12:08