Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thought this was interesting from the Cornell..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 15:56
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:17
Looks like the average GMAT is not going to make such a huge leap like Yale's did.....thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that!

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:27
Ya, but it's still a pretty significant jump. How many more years do you think these types of GMAT jumps can be sustained?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:45
From the looks of it, they only went up about 5 points. 690 (reported on their website) to 695?
smkrn wrote:
Ya, but it's still a pretty significant jump. How many more years do you think these types of GMAT jumps can be sustained?

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:03
Interesting that their offered GMAT was higher than their accepted... that signals that perhaps Cornell was used as a back-up for some top applicants. Not taking anything away from Cornell, it is an incredible school, just something I noticed.

Also, a little insight into their procedure, each app gets an hour and a half of attention... I wonder how this compares to other schools. Certainly seems like a lot!

~Sam
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:06
sam77sam7 wrote:
Interesting that their offered GMAT was higher than their accepted... that signals that perhaps Cornell was used as a back-up for some top applicants. Not taking anything away from Cornell, it is an incredible school, just something I noticed.

Also, a little insight into their procedure, each app gets an hour and a half of attention... I wonder how this compares to other schools. Certainly seems like a lot!

~Sam

i find it strange that they would even release a statistic for accepted gmat average
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:08
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I think Kellogg publishes these numbers and they show the same trend as well.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:09
Yeah, that does seem odd. Its like them saying "see, we accepted better applicants than those that actually enrolled".....just weird.

dabots wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

i find it strange that they would even release a statistic for accepted gmat average

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:21
Umm..27.3% of all applications received were from India? I didn't realize Cornell was *that* popular in that part of the world.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 08:23
solaris1 wrote:
Umm..27.3% of all applications received were from India? I didn't realize Cornell was *that* popular in that part of the world.

I wish they published the statistic for acceptance and enrollment.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:15
terp06 wrote:
I wish they published the statistic for acceptance and enrollment.

Could probably infer a rough number..

2,561 apps
280 spots (last years total enrollment was 565)
37% international
= 104 International students

Last year their international students made up 26% of the class, with 24% (of the total class) from Asia. If trend continues - Asia makes up 92% of their international students = 95 students from Asia admitted.

I am assuming that India is included in their stats for Asian applicants. And I doubt that all those admitted Asian students are Indian. Maybe... half?

So 700 apps for probably 40-50 spots?

Feel free to correct my logic here, I know there are far smarter people on this board than I.
[url=http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/cornell.html]
Numbers came from here by the way [/url]
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:18
another big jump in gmat average like Yale was

682 to 695 (+13 points)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:22
Terp26, the GMAT Cornell had on their website said 690....682 was reported on USNews. So according to them its only +5.

terp26 wrote:
another big jump in gmat average like Yale was

682 to 695 (+13 points)

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:28
why would they be different?
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:30
Wow, 64% of their applicants were international but only 37% of their students. That is shocking. The admit rate for US students must be much higher than the overall admit rate.

I just did some back of the envelope calculations (assuming 50% yield all around) and got about a 35% admit rate for americans vs an overall admit rate around 20-21%. Can this be true? If it is, I'm pretty damn excited about it as a US Cornell applicant.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:50
IHateTheGMAT,

I agree, it is encouraging for US Applicants. I am pretty astounded that over 60% of their apps were international, that seems really high. Does anyone know the stats for other schools?

~Sam
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:56
I think this goes along with what I said about Yale. International kids who do not know much about the programs, apply for the brand. Since Cornell is Ivy League, it def attracts tons of these kinds of applicants.

sam77sam7 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT,

I agree, it is encouraging for US Applicants. I am pretty astounded that over 60% of their apps were international, that seems really high. Does anyone know the stats for other schools?

~Sam

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:02
Yep. Precisely the point I made in that SOM GMAT thread myself.

raabenb wrote:
I think this goes along with what I said about Yale. International kids who do not know much about the programs, apply for the brand. Since Cornell is Ivy League, it def attracts tons of these kinds of applicants.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:12
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Wow, 64% of their applicants were international but only 37% of their students. That is shocking. The admit rate for US students must be much higher than the overall admit rate.

I just did some back of the envelope calculations (assuming 50% yield all around) and got about a 35% admit rate for americans vs an overall admit rate around 20-21%. Can this be true? If it is, I'm pretty damn excited about it as a US Cornell applicant.

It is pretty common at the top schools for internationals to have admission rates MUCH lower than the published rate...especially ones from certain areas that apply to the schools in great numbers.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:16
"Two people read each application - the first read is one hour in length, and the second is 30 minutes."

Are they saying that they will spend 90 minutes on my app? That seems like a looooooong time. I mean last year, they only had 2 essays. What are they looking at?
Re: Thought this was interesting from the Cornell..   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2008, 11:16