Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 09:58
Hey Paul/Linda,

I'm in the process of putting together my applications and am trying to decide which other schools to apply to outside of H/S/W. MIT and Columbia would probably be my preferred schools outside the big 3, however from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, Round 2 at both of these schools is very challenging (ie: their round 2 is the equivalence of round 3 at the other schools). Is this accurate, or do these two schools typically admit closer to 50% of their students in the second round?

I have decided I only have time to apply to five schools tops, so assuming the above is accurate, would I be better off applying to a "higher probability" school such as Chicago and dropping either MIT or Columbia (to maximize the chance that I will land somewhere)? Chicago is probably the only school outside of the 5 I have listed.

Thanks for your thoughts.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 14:00
Blayze,

MIT states that it admits 50% of its class from each round, but since most applicants apply in its second round, its odds of admission are lower in the second round. Both CBS and MIT are more difficult schools to get into then Chicago, so given your concerns, you may want to shift your emphasis to Chicago -- assuming its program fits your needs and you have already done all the due diligence (interacting with students/alums) to present a credible Why Chicago argument.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Re: Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 14:11
pbodine wrote:
Blayze,

MIT states that it admits 50% of its class from each round, but since most applicants apply in its second round, its odds of admission are lower in the second round. Both CBS and MIT are more difficult schools to get into then Chicago, so given your concerns, you may want to shift your emphasis to Chicago -- assuming its program fits your needs and you have already done all the due diligence (interacting with students/alums) to present a credible Why Chicago argument.

Good luck,

Thanks Paul.

When you say that CBS and MIT are "more difficult", are we talking marginally more difficult (in which case I would probably apply to them over Booth), or significantly more difficult (in which case I would apply to Booth). Otherwise put, is their R2 the equivalence of the dreaded R3 for more "traditional" schools that have 3 rounds?

Between MIT and CBS, which would you say is more difficult to gain admission to?

Thanks,
SVP
SVP

Re: Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 14:19
Blayze,

I meant marginally more difficult (as in 15% overall selectivity rate vs. 20%). I don't believe that applying to MIT or CBS at this stage of the season is comparable to applying to the third round at other schools -- no way. Historically, CBS is the harder of the two to get into although last year they were about neck and neck (15%).

--Paul

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Manager
Manager

Re: Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 18:27
Thanks Paul, this helps me put things in perspective. I will probably go for MIT/CBS instead of Booth then... I don't think Booth's incremental 5% acceptance rate is worth dropping either MIT or CBS, both schools I would prefer over Booth.
SVP
SVP

Re: Thoughts on Round 2 at Columbia and MIT [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 18:47
Your reasoning makes perfect sense.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /