Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
It is very difficult to write this brief for me, but I don’t know what to do and need good advice.
Yesterday I took official GMAT and received 580 (q42, v28), I would not be that devastated if that was not my third attempt and in all attempts I received almost the same result (1-560, 2nd -590).
So my journey started sometime in October 2010 when I applied to one of the US scholarship programs and in January I took the GMAT for the first time and received 560 (distribution of the score almost the same). To be honest I was not very disappointed, because I did not prepared too much and I did everything in a rush. But nevertheless this score was sufficient to win a place in the scholarship (probably my experience at that time I had 7 years of experience, including 2 managerial) and I was offered a place in some US universities to study, but they never tell you the name of the university until you accept the offer. The offer was very tempting, all the costs are included, even the tickets, plus monthly stipend. But I knew that with such score no decent university will accept me, so I refused that offer and decided to prepare more thoroughly to reach my dream of studying in top business school.
I understood that I need a score of min 700 in order to get in, to get 700 I need to prepare exceptionally well. So I have attended a GMAT course for 3 month and did not receive much, well I understood that such courses normally can bring you to the level of up to 600-650 (at least the one that I have attended). The best method was self study, and I have ordered all the necessary books, mainly I had all the series of Manhattan GMAT books, OG 11,12, OG V,Q reviews and couple of others such as Kaplan, Princeton etc. but I did not looked at them much because after reading most of the reviews I found out that the best sources are the one that I have chosen.
I prepared till the February 2011, so one year (although I took couple of month break after the 1st attempt and started to study mainly from august) after first attempt and then took my second GMAT, the result is 590. I could not believe that the score will be that low, because I was receiving around 700 in all mock tests (by the way after first attempt I bought MGMAT’s 6 tests, 800score tests), and I blamed that I could not sleep a night before the test (I slept about 3 hours and felt sleepy and lost concentration.
Nevertheless, I managed to recover and continue on my battle with GMAT. Since then I improved a lot. I started to follow most of the GMAT expert in the forum, I re-read all the books that I had, in average I spend about 2-3 hours during the work days, and about 5-6 hour during the weekends, to be honest there was no single weekend when I did not think about GMAT. I did all the possible mock tests, in all of them I have received more than 700, max was gmat prep 750! two days before the test day (although many repeat questions). I started to understand what question is what level, and moreover I could notice now what is GMAT type question and which not. So I thought I am ready and decided to take exam, and moreover I needed to start application process, additionally I am relatively free now and will be extremely busy in couple of month in my job (which is also very tough). Remembering my previous experience with not sleeping one night before I decided to book exam afternoon, but there was no such timing available in our place so I decided to go to another country (well it sounds far but it took 1 hour flight) just because it offered exam at afternoon, so I booked a test at 13.00.
You would not believe that but I had the same problem again, I could not sleep a night before, and slept about 4-5 hours in the morning. But nevertheless went to the exam place. I was very confident and started exam smoothly, writing went well (I have never had problem in this section, in previous cases I got 5), integrated reasoning – I did not prepared for this section, but surprisingly it was not that tough, and overall I went to break very satisfied with performance. Then I started quant’s section, questions overall were not that tough, and I was responding very carefully, I believe that there were many tricky ones. I started worrying when I realized that I am on the question 15 and I still had not received any really tough ones, so after this section finished I understood that I did something wrong and score will be max 45-46, and need to do extremely well in verbal (overall I score 35-37 in verbal), so I needed more than my average performance. I started verbal, most of the questions were difficult, and was confident that the score will be about 38. Finally I pressed the button to report my score and here we go 580 (42/28). I literally cried, I was speechless, did know what to do, then instructor came and assisted with the rest of the procedure.
I have spent more than one year of efforts, I spent all my weekends and all the free time for GMAT (not for my family, not for my friends, relatives etc), to be honest I know about gmat so much that sometimes I think I can even teach it, I have so much materials. BUT … could not reach 700.
I would not say that I am dumb, I am average minded in quants (after so much efforts I would say that I am quite good in it), although a not a native speaker, I studied in UK, I read in English, I use English in my daily job, with efforts on GMAT I improved my score to the level, when I solve most of the questions in the forums correctly (it was not the case before the preparation).
At the moment I am very devastated, I don’t know what to do, it seems to me that my dream is flying away from me and all I need to do is to concentrate on something else …

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2085 [0], given: 675

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 02:14
Expert's post
Hey
First, don't be so ridiculously hard on yourself. GMAT is just ONE way of achieving your dreams, and there are plenty of others if you don't think GMAT is your cup of tea.
Now going to your problem, I think you are an impatient person. I can relate to whatever you have posted, so I will try to figure out whats wrong.
Have you taken the tests simulating the ideal GMAT conditions?
I think your practice GMAT score and your official score vary only because of improper simulation. And since you have exhausted almost all the gmatprep tests, it hardly reflects your true score.
Next, I would like to say CALM THE HECK DOWN. GMAT is not going to make or break your future. Not sleeping may contribute to your score more than you think. Why don't you take your test in the evening so you can surely spend some time of ideal sleep before taking the test?
My point is, think psychological and don't overburden yourself.
All the Best

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 16:23
The GMAT is only one facet of your application. Don't be so hard on yourself and more importantly don't give up! Since you just recently completed the test, take a break. Take some time to clear your head and not worry about the GMAT for a while.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 19:24
Maybe you're giving yourself too much pressure, so your mind isn't able to focus.

I found that when I relaxed and cleared my mind before doing some practice problems, I tended to get much higher scores. Sometimes thinking too much into it can make you second guess yourself.

Regardless, don't give up and best of luck to you in your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 19:51
Hi Ziko, first of all you have tremendous patience and perseverance that you could take GMAT thrice. Trust me, I would have broken down perhaps in the first go. Here is my situation - I bought the MGMAT books an year ago, read all of them Quant (not verbal), attended their live 9 course session, thought that was enough to win the race, so spent all my savings to buy the course and did it with attention. Half way through lost interest, cos the course was not up to my particular standard (extremely personal opinion). Gave up. Started self study. Anyone following my posts will know, how many failures I had. The reason I am taking the failures is cos I cant take the failure in the exam.....
Many a times, we bank on the self prep materials more than desired. I will advice the following:
1. Take a months break
2. Dont think about GMAT for the whole months breaktime
3. When you get back to studies, realize your improvement area is more of Verbal, and less of Quant - refer to your error logs, analyze them
4. Start hitting the nails - re do all the prep materials and CAT - under controlled GMAT environment (from time, to break to every other nukes), meaning simulate accordingly
5. Your study hours are adequate - so ensure that you sleep the required amount of time
6. 2 days before the test - my recommendation, you should give up all preps and may be focus on simple reading/AWA section - this will release sufficient stress
7. Most importantly, I feel - you must discipline yourself - time to study, time to relax, time for job, time to sleep etc. Since you are not in a die hard situation currently, this will help (I am currently trying to do so, and realized the efficiency is increasing)

Regarding your skills, you did not mention much, so simply could give a bird's eye view of your situation. Hope this helps. To my understanding I am sure you do not need any more courses to help you, but may be following the forum more regularly and De-stressing yourself, while you take a planned and guided approach to your exam will surely help.

Remember its nothing but a mind game. You hold it you win it. I have not given the exam, but surely following the forum helps me a lot, also the downturns dont pull me down. ALL THE BEST

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 82

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 04:19
SO sad buddy.. bt dont be dishearted...go for another options.. life is not end on GMAT.. GOD has chosen a good option more than gmat.. just wait and watch which oppurtunity that will be ...

Just blv on GOD.. and try to give MORE simulation test if u l do gmat again..

just calm down ur self.. ...relax..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 20:42
Firstly thank you all who responded and gave opinion, advice and/or just warm words - i really appreciate that.
Not everything goes as we plan in this life, according to my plan i should have received 700+ and started application already, but according to God's plan its different. So we should respect that plan and ask for best.
I relatively calmed down, and analyzing my performance i see that there is much of psychological side of the problem rather than knowledge. If you constantly score around 670+ in MGMAT (which i think a little difficult than gmat prep) and around 700 in gmat prep (although some repeats) you should get at least 650 in real test. So there was not enough preparation in terms of stress control. This is one of the areas to think of.
I am planning to analyze all the weak areas once again, try to concentrate on them more, and go through some stress control techniques. I would really appreciate if someone could suggest good materials on this topic. I know there should be many such books but is there anything on stress in GMAT?
Anyway i am finding some strength not to give up and i will break the point of 700 someday. And that day i will share my experience once again but with different mood!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 00:54
ziko wrote:
Firstly thank you all who responded and gave opinion, advice and/or just warm words - i really appreciate that.
Not everything goes as we plan in this life, according to my plan i should have received 700+ and started application already, but according to God's plan its different. So we should respect that plan and ask for best.
I relatively calmed down, and analyzing my performance i see that there is much of psychological side of the problem rather than knowledge. If you constantly score around 670+ in MGMAT (which i think a little difficult than gmat prep) and around 700 in gmat prep (although some repeats) you should get at least 650 in real test. So there was not enough preparation in terms of stress control. This is one of the areas to think of.
I am planning to analyze all the weak areas once again, try to concentrate on them more, and go through some stress control techniques. I would really appreciate if someone could suggest good materials on this topic. I know there should be many such books but is there anything on stress in GMAT?
Anyway i am finding some strength not to give up and i will break the point of 700 someday. And that day i will share my experience once again but with different mood!

I thought that practicing a ton of problems and doing a bunch of practice CATs helped calm my nerves for the real thing. Don't think of your target score, just focus on doing the best you can.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 06:12
I have not done the GMAT yet, but I could tell you one thing that GMAT is not rocket science and not an IQ test. Innate abilities count next to nothing here on GMAT. You have already demonstrated yourself possessed what you need to success on GMAT by having a degree. All you need to master it are plenty of time, efforts and relaxation during the test day. Never give up yourself, never listen to anyone who told you that you can never success. Practices, practices and practices are all you need! Just hang in there! Success will not be far away!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 20:08
abesherlock wrote:
I have not done the GMAT yet, but I could tell you one thing that GMAT is not rocket science and not an IQ test. Innate abilities count next to nothing here on GMAT. You have already demonstrated yourself possessed what you need to success on GMAT by having a degree. All you need to master it are plenty of time, efforts and relaxation during the test day. Never give up yourself, never listen to anyone who told you that you can never success. Practices, practices and practices are all you need! Just hang in there! Success will not be far away!

Thank you for the support! I will get 700+!

Re: three attempts and still 580 - devastated, lost and hopeless   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2012, 20:08