Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Three Focused Months of Studying Results in a 720 Q49 V40

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Account Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Three Focused Months of Studying Results in a 720 Q49 V40 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:25
I took the GMAT yesterday (1/17/2013) and I thought it went pretty well, especially considering how I performed on my practice tests (yikes). Before I list my scores, I will outline my preparation from the beginning.

I started my preparation on October 15th, two days after I got back from vacationing in China and Thailand. I didn’t really know what I was doing so I bought the Kaplan Strategies, Practice and Review book. I went through that in about a week and then moved on to the Kaplan 800 book. Right after finishing Kaplan 800 I discovered gmatclub. When I was studying for the CFA exams, I spent a lot of my company’s time on a website called analystforum.com and it was there that I first heard about gmatclub.

As a result of my web-based enlightenment, I purchased The Official Guide 12, the entire MGMAT 5th Edition except for Advanced GMAT Quant, Official Guide Quant 2nd Edition, and Official Guide Verbal 2nd Edition. I blazed through all of these books (except for Quant 2nd edition; not enough time) and took 9 practice tests in the span of about 9 weeks. Here are the scores of my practice tests which were taken weekly.

Kaplan CAT Exam: 600
GMAT Prep Test 1: 600
MGMAT Practice Test 1: 630
MGMAT Practice Test 2: 690 (nice improvement)
MGMAT Practice Test 3: 630
MGMAT Practice Test 4: 660
MGMAT Practice Test 5: 610 (you gotta be kidding me!)
MGMAT Practice Test 6: 640
GMAT Prep Test 2: 640 (6 days before my exam)
The real thing: 720 Q49 V40

I wish that I would have purchased the Manhattan books from the start because I learned a lot more using those than any other resource. I loved using Kaplan for my CFA prep but I think they have a lot of work to do in the GMAT field.

My Test Experience:
It is extremely important to have confidence going into this exam. Don’t worry about how you score on practice tests because it doesn’t matter at all. I never passed a practice exam for Level 2 of the CFA but I ended up killing the actual exam because I was confident. I started visualizing a 720 or 730 score about 2 days before the actual GMAT exam. I constantly told myself that I was going to dominate the test and that I was a game-day performer.

I am a morning person. I wake up at 6:00am every morning and I typically do my best work around 9:00am so, naturally, I scheduled my test for 8:00am. I had to drive about an hour north to the testing center, so I drove up the night before and booked a room in a nice hotel. I highly recommend this. I like to turn my tests into business trips because it puts me in a different mindset. (I took all three levels of the CFA in a city that was 6 hours away even though I could have taken them in the city where I grew up which is just 2 hours away). I drove to the testing center the night before so that I wasn’t panicking in the morning. When I booked my hotel I made sure that it offered a good breakfast (eggs and bacon) that would be available at 6:00am. The check-in for the exam was very smooth. I wasn’t stressed at all; I was calm, and ready to log an actual score in the books. My breaks went well; I ate a cliff bar during each break and drank some organic tea that my girlfriend bought me. She said it would help my cognition; I didn’t ask any questions.

The essay was easy for me. My brain was working great and I think I typed about 600 words in 5 full length paragraphs. IR was much easier than Manhattan IR. The quant section wasn’t as calculation intensive as Manhattan so my timing was spot on. I actually had 3 minutes left for the final question which was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Verbal was going pretty well until the final RC passage which was so convoluted that I couldn’t even wrap my head around it. I was very excited to see the final score: 720 Q49 V40.

I am happy with my score and I don’t think I will attempt a re-take. I could probably increase my score if I went through the Manhattan Advanced Quant and some Power Score Bibles. I don’t think I have a strong enough profile to attempt a Round 3 admission so I will probably wait until the fall.

Thanks for all of the help gmatclub!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Three Focused Months of Studying Results in a 720 Q49 V40 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:10
Awesome work! Good thinking on waiting until next year, this will serve you well.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Three Focused Months of Studying Results in a 720 Q49 V40 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:30
jdough wrote:
She said it would help my cognition; I didn’t ask any questions.

nicely done

congratulations on your improvement from the practice tests.
Re: Three Focused Months of Studying Results in a 720 Q49 V40   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2013, 09:30