Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

84% (01:30) correct 16% (00:24) wrong based on 4 sessions
Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. What was the total cost of renting the car?

(1) if the three friends had kept the car for a second week, they could have obtained the two-week rate, which was 1.5 times the cost of a one-week rental.

(2) If a fourth friend had joined the three friends and the cost had been divided equally among the four friends, the cost to each of the original three would have been reduced by $15.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 116 [3] , given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
hartattack11 wrote:
Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost equally. What was the total cost of renting the car?

(1) if the three friends had kept the car for a second week, they could have obtained the two-week rate, which was 1.5 times the cost of a one-week rental.

(2) If a fourth friend had joined the three friends and the cost had been divided equally among the four friends, the cost to each of the original three would have been reduced by $15.

Stmt1: Let say cost of car is 3x and each person paid x.
in this case total cost will be 3x+(1.5)3x = 7.5x and each will pay 2.5 x in this case. But cannot determine cost so insufficient.

Stmt2: Let say cost of car is 12x. In case three would have paid then each has to pay 12x /3 = 4x.
In case four would have paid then each has to pay 12x /4 = 3x
Diff is 15$ => 4x - 3x = 15 => x = 15
and cost of car will be 12x = 12 * 15 = 180$, hence sufficient.

So, answer is b

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 12

Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Let x be the car rental.
Statement1: First week the rental is x.
If it is two weeks then rental would be 1.5x. But we can not find x here. Insufficient.
Statement2: If fourth frined joined then each of three friends pay 15$ less. That means the fourth friend pays = 3*15 = 45.
So each one among 4 people will pay $45. Total rental will be 4*45 = 180.

Ans is B.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Three friends rented a car for a week and divided the cost [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
1 st in insuff clearly cause we cant derive the first week rental rate.

as per second statement, suppose the rent for car is x.
then it implies x/3 - 15 =x/4.we can find x .so suff
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 07:25
Thanks sidhu4u, I appreciate the quick response. It looks as though you have a good way of approaching these types of problems. Could you expound on your approach and the method that you use? Sometimes I just can't wrap my brain around these problems and it's just gets frustrating. Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 10:13
hartattack11 wrote:
Thanks sidhu4u, I appreciate the quick response. It looks as though you have a good way of approaching these types of problems. Could you expound on your approach and the method that you use? Sometimes I just can't wrap my brain around these problems and it's just gets frustrating. Thanks again.

Hey thanks a lot. For these problems, in the second statement since I knew the rent of the car has to be divided into 3 and then 4 parts i kept it as 12x i.e. the LCM of 3 and 4 so that calculations can become easy. If there would be more persons for example 5 i would have kept it 60. This saves a lot of unnecessary time to do the fractions but you need to be careful in the end for what they are asking.
And I just tried to translate the statement into equations first so that we know what all values we have and what else we need. :-D

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 09:30
Im thinking D. We agree that statement 2 is good, but from statement 1, we know that 3(a/14) = 1.5(a/7). Here, 'a' is the total cost of renting the car, and we divide by 14 to get the per-day rate for each person over a 2 week period.
Re: Couldn't there be mulitple answers for statement 2?   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2010, 09:30