Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Aaudetat,

Good call, I really wish I had managed to pick up Spanish while i was in school, should have done a study abroad thing in Spain to supplement my classes (which just didn't work for me, think I need the full immersion to get anything to stick).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: Three Regrets [#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
3. When you meet a girl named Nicole your junior year, avoid her at all costs.

LOL I can add a couple of names to #3. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I would actually go back to my senior year in high school and apply for the best schools I could get into, rather than going to the local uni my friends were going to. At the time I had no idea about rankings or reputation, and I thought a degree was a degree - looking back it was really foolish.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
I would actually go back to my senior year in high school and apply for the best schools I could get into, rather than going to the local uni my friends were going to. At the time I had no idea about rankings or reputation, and I thought a degree was a degree - looking back it was really foolish.

Yup, same here. If I didn't screw around so much in high school I would have known the importance of the undergraduate institution. I actually went to UCSB because it was the 2nd ranked party school in the nation!

1 year and a 2.7 GPA later, I moved back east to the local uni but worked hard and ended up in the top of my class. What's killing me now is many companies aren't taking me seriously because of my undergrad institution.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
Yup, same here. If I didn't screw around so much in high school I would have known the importance of the undergraduate institution. I actually went to UCSB because it was the 2nd ranked party school in the nation!

Yup. Even at prestigious professional schools, undergrad pedigree gets you to the front of the line.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i also think about what if i got better gradesin undergrad. I was much too involved with my fraternity (3 exec. cabinet positions) community service and fundraisers, but when I look back on it, I would not be who I am if it was not for those experiences. I just wished I balanced it more...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
johnnyx9 wrote:
This whole application process has led to a lot of introspection and soul-searching for a lot of us (I think). It has really put everything I have done with my life in perspective. And I guess that perspective is kind of framed like, "Are you a worthy person? Have you made the most of opportunities available to you? Or did you squander them?" For instance, I definitely feel like I should have gotten more out of my undergrad, but I never really thought too much about it until I started gearing up for b-school.

If you could travel back to your freshman year of college and explain to your 18-year old self what you know now, what three pieces of advice would you give? What would be your three recommendations?

Here are mine:

1. Study harder, you need to get at least a 3.5, and while you're at it get involved with some clubs and get a leadership position.

2. When you graduate, get involved in community service. It will make you a better person and it will help you w/ b-school apps.

3. When you meet a girl named Nicole your junior year, avoid her at all costs.

I think if I had those three little gems my freshman year, I would be better positioned for b-school and better positioned in general.

Good one, Johnny!

1. I agree. Though I'd still stick to my story that a GPA doesn't tell that much. I consider I know much more about several issues than other people with higher grades who have forgotten every single thing they studied as fast as 1 week after passing the course. Then why did I stick to my method? a. I found it easier to live with. b. I knew GPAs did not make much difference in the industry / positions I wanted to work post undergrad. c. I don't regret having had the time of my life.

2. Not necessarily, several extracurricular activities (not only community service) can be meaningful, can help b-school apps. and can make you a better person. Creating an amateur sports league for your sport of choice, for example, can help several people be happier and fitter and yet it is not your "run 'o the mill" community service activity.

3. I've learnt things from every relationship I've had, so I don't regret having met any lady I've been with.

To conclude: I agree with all your points, but since I'm always inclined to be a devil's advocate whenever given the chance, I've written the reasons why I wouldn't agree with ya.

My regret:

4. Not applying 1 or 2 years earlier (I'm 30 now).

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lepium, that last point is a good one, I should have applied a year earlier.

And I like your attitude, I guess I agree that the great experiences I had outside of class (interesting part-time jobs, playing in bands, travelling, girls, parties, sports) were just as important as what I was allegedly learning in class.

I guess this thread is more about nitpicking things that could have been better, not like I really lose sleep over these things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nicole didn't work out well for me either. :wink:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lepium wrote:

My regret:

4. Not applying 1 or 2 years earlier (I'm 30 now).

Cheers. L.

Don't let a year or two bother you even the tiniest bit. It's all in your head.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Woo, that's a good one.

1. Man, work on your GPA. Yeah, I know your faculty sucks, but just do the easy classes to pull it up a bit.

2. LEAD. Wherever you go, whatever you do (and you do a lot, that's good!) - not just do it well. LEAD all those peeps around. Work on your warchief portfolio.

3. That girl on reception has a serious crush on you man. Don't be a retarded IT geek - DO HER!

;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
i also think about what if i got better gradesin undergrad. I was much too involved with my fraternity (3 exec. cabinet positions) community service and fundraisers, but when I look back on it, I would not be who I am if it was not for those experiences. I just wished I balanced it more...

I was in the same boat- fraternities are GPA killers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DON'T TRY TO BE DIFFERENT...... IT NEVER WORKS..... CHOOSE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU AND DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY.

Wish I had know this before I entered undergrad
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Well it is never too late! You can still do the following

1. Change your Sex or your sexual preference.
2. Change your citizenship to some African or better still sail to Antartica and set up your own nation and be the citizen of the nation.
3. Leave ur job and do something totally different. E.g. Be the president's personal secretary or schedule manager.

P.S.: If anyone is up for item 2, let me know... I will be willing to co-sponsor the effort. We can be the president and the vice-president of our little nation in Antartica!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
1) Study (not pretend) english back in my home country, so that my SAT/ACT scores wouldnt look like this: Math/Science 99%, English/Reading 37%. Crapy scores, crapy college, crapy job opportunities and weird looks from MBA admissions people (how come some one who can get 750 GMAT first try would go to college X, where is it anyway??)

2)Take more math...actually, realize that "international management" is not a major, rather a fancy title for two years of college vacation (thankully econ sounds little better)

3) Girls...yea, thats a whole another ball....you know we do stupid stuff and learn from it, like they say in Poland, "what doesnt kill you makes you stronger"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Love this game, Here are mine:

1. I too wish I had taken undergrad more seriously, or at least as seriously as I took it the final 2 years. The first two were a blur of parties, boys and debauchery.

2. Continued my German language studies in College for the entire 4 years so that I could regain my fluency. German was my first language and I lost it when I moved back to the US at the age of 7. I will always regret that.

3. Quitting the field hockey team my freshman year, because I was intimidated. I'll never know what it was like to play D1 sports. sigh.

This is a great exercise, because as I go through the app process I am constantly challenged and overwhelmed with the amount of work that goes into just applying. I get intimidated by the talent out there and think that I am sub-par for a good school. Then I picture myself in 10 years and I am confident that the #1 on this list would be- not going to business school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow. I love this thread... I'm applying in a year or so, and your advices and regrets help :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6