Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Three Things You Should Know About Darden

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
13 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [13] , given: 0

Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am a current Darden MBA student and want to briefly share three things I wish I had known before I chose to attend. Deciding whether to make the large time and money investment in an MBA program is a monumental process, and prospective students should have all the facts, beyond just the shiny marketing pitch, so they can make an intelligent and informed decision. Below are three things about Darden you should consider before you attend.

1. Darden purposefully engineers an overwhelming workload that will have you working 60 – 80 hours per week for the entire first semester. A typical day’s assignment is three cases, three to five technical readings, one textbook chapter, three sets of assignment questions, and usually an online problem set or tutorial. With three classes per day, and classes held four days per week, you will end up doing 12 cases per week, plus all the associated readings and assignment questions. You will find that this overwhelming workload is a core part of the Darden experience, culture, and brand.

2. 100% case method means absolutely no lecture, no direct answers from professors, and a primary focus on the specific case story over the general business concept. With absolutely no lecture during the first year at Darden, the classroom experience consists entirely of student-driven case discussion. This means professors will not directly answer questions, share their insights or past experience, or outline important takeaway conclusions in class. As a result, even for especially challenging topics the only in-class clarification you will get is from other students explaining the subject. In addition, all business concepts are taught through the lens of the case. This means class discussion is focused almost entirely on the specific details of a particular case story rather than the general underlying business topic and its broader applications outside the present situation.

3. 50% of nearly every course grade is based solely on your class participation and Darden supports grade disclosure to recruiters. While each class is slightly different, nearly all course grades are weighted roughly 50% class participation and 50% final exam, with a few having a small project or assignment component. This heavy grade weighting of class participation, combined with the fact that Darden supports grade disclosure to recruiters (while many peer schools do not), provides very strong incentives for students to participate frequently in class. With roughly 70 people per classroom section, you will have to work hard to be heard every day, and be very comfortable speaking in public as professors tend to “cold call” those students who don’t frequently participate. Your grades at Darden, and by extension your career prospects, will depend greatly on your ability to participate frequently in classes.

Overall, Darden is an incredibly strong MBA program with outstanding faculty, bright and accomplished students, and a world-class academic reputation. My goal is not to criticize the school or tarnish its public image in any way, but rather to give future prospective students all the facts before making a decision about which program is right for them. To that end, I hope this is helpful.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 00:47
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 17

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:16
Did you guys end up splitting the reading of the cases in the learning teams? that sounds like it's way too much for one person to handle by themselves.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 17:53
Thanks for sharing your candid perspective!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 27

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 06:56
That was extremely helpful to know. Many thanks!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 15:00
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (In) Kenan-Flagler (In), Stern (In-$), Yale (Ding w/int), McDonough (In)
WE 1: IT Management Consulting

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
I am matriculating in the fall (class of 2013) and have spoken with dozens of your peers at Darden about their experience. This post generally reflects what I have heard from others currently enrolled with the exception of two points:

1) I was told, both by admissions committee members and career center advisors, that Darden does NOT disclose grades to recruiters.

2) While you clearly have more experience in the case method classroom than I do I am skeptical of the idea that professors will never share their "insight or past experience." In the mock class I participated in at Darden Days this spring, the professor shared a couple of anecdotes from her experience serving on a board of directors faced with an analagous decision to the one presented in the case. Perhaps she was giving us a bonus to help sell us on the program...

In any case, this post definitely reflects my understanding of the program overall. I am very excited to get started in the fall!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 27

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 15:23
My one big fear of applying to a "case study school" is that participation requirement. It would seem that (a) everyone would be clamoring to do so out of fear for their grade and (b) it would be hard to get noticed unless you fought to speak up.

Thoughts?

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Reviews Badge
Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 01:03
Thanks for sharing this very useful information.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 01:40
great post...worth a read
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 12:58
Hi Hatter -

I just wanted to respond to your post about grade non-disclosure at Darden: "I was told, both by admissions committee members and career center advisors, that Darden does NOT disclose grades to recruiters."

I think there is a difference between what you posted (Darden will not share your grades with recruiters) and what most of the business school community considers to be grade non-disclosure (students are forbidden from sharing their grades with recruiters). What the Darden admissions and career office told you is that if a recruiter calls them asking for your grades, Darden will not release them. This is not surprising as it is really just a basic level of personal information privacy. But grade non-disclosure at most business schools typically involves students collectively agreeing not to share their grades with recruiters during the recruiting process. For example, you can see a detailed explanation of Chicago Booth's grade non-disclosure policy by searching Google for "chicago booth non disclosure" and clicking on the top link (sorry, this forum won't let me post the link for some reason).

When considering the general MBA community definition of grade non-disclosure, I think you will find that Darden does not have grade non-disclosure (i.e., students do share their grades with recruiters).

I hope this helps clarify the topic. Hatter, I hope you have a great year at Darden and congrats on joining such an outstanding program.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 14:52
Dardenmba2011,

Kudos !! Great post. With 50% grades for being heard in the class, does the environment create unwarranted competition? I've heard that the school itself is a very close-knit community like some of the other small town b-schools. I am not sure how these two aspects fit together, if true.

Also, what is your take on 100% case studies? Read a lot on this forum, but would like to get an insight from you.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 00:09
Thank you for the very informative post that just solidify my decision not to apply to Darden. I can hardly see the value in pursposedly engineering points 1 and 3.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 02:46
Thanks for the heads up
Intern
Intern
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 14:53
Great info ! Kudo for you !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 12:19
Great information. It would be wonderful if students from other schools would share these FYIs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 17

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 04:32
AN225 wrote:
Thank you for the very informative post that just solidify my decision not to apply to Darden. I can hardly see the value in pursposedly engineering points 1 and 3.

I'm now a Darden second year so I can help answer some of this stuff.

The value in the overwhelming workload is that you gain good experience for managing in situations that would overwhelm others. That's a key differentiator of Darden MBA's and I think that's precisely why we tend to do better in our careers than several schools that are traditionally ranked higher than our own.

The value in class participation is priceless. We learn to think quickly, think on our feet, and not fear leading discussion or direction of the conversation in meetings. These are critical characteristics of great managers.

I hope that helps to explain it.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-01-2012
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 17:34
Informative post, however, I don't think I like Darden. Would prefer to have the professor lecture, then, go from there.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:50
Great post. I appreciate your thoughts and insider perspective.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Three Things You Should Know About Darden   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2012, 11:50