Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Threee out of every four automobile owners in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Threee out of every four automobile owners in the United [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 10:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Threee out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
a)Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
b)Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United Staes also owns a bicycle.
c)Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
d)In the United States, three our of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
e)Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Please advise.
I got 2 choices and could not decide which is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 11:47
[quote="aMante"]Threee out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.

a)Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
b)Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United Staes also owns a bicycle.

c)Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States. (passive coice)
d)In the United States, three our of every four automobile owners owns bicycles. (original sentence says a bicycle in this case it is bicycles)
e)Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three. ( passive)
quote]

I am b/w A and B.

B. Out of every four - this is a modifier but should have been followed by automobile woners instead of "three automobile owners

IMO A. Good Q.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 11:52
I agree the answer is A.

B changes the meaning. If you take "Out of every four," as an appositive, then that phrase shouldn't be necessary and the sentence should make sense and be similar in meaning to the original. If you remove this part and only have "Three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle." This appears to mean that out of all automobile owners in the US, only 3 also own a bike. Totally different meaning.

aMante wrote:
Threee out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
c)Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
d)In the United States, three our of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
e)Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Please advise.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 03:29
A seems to be the most concise of them all....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 00:56

>> "a bicycle". One bucycle cannot be joined own by more than one owners.

>> "owns" should be plural

== Correct. Although passive voice is not preferred

>> "owns" should be plural

>> Clearly awkward
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 03:56
A, the best choice, is concise, idiomatic, and maintains subject-verb agreement. In B, Out of every four, three is unidiomatic. The singular verb owns does not agree with its plural subject, three...owners. The passive construction in C (Bicycles are owned by) is cumberson amd does not contribute meaningfully to the sentence. The shift to plural Bicycles detracts from clarity by suggesting that multiple bicycles are owend by eahc person in question. In D, the singular "owns" does not agree with its plural subject three...owners. Furthremore, the plural bicycles detracts from clarity by suggesting that multiple bicycles are owend by each person in question. In E, the phrase beginning "Out of every four..." cannot properly modify bicycles, and the passive construction (bicycles are also owned) is awkward and does not contribute meaningfully to the sentence. The plural nouns bicycles and automobiles suggest imprecisey that each person owns more than one of each.

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION I FOUND ON THE INTERNET.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Three out of four... : SC [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 04:00
aMante wrote:

Please advise.

A

The subject "three...owners" is plural, therefore verb must be "own." Eliminate B+D. C+E are passive.
Re: Three out of four... : SC   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2008, 04:00