Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Through their selective funding of research projects,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Through their selective funding of research projects, [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 09:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (02:55) wrong based on 2 sessions
Through their selective funding of research projects, pharmaceutical companies exert too much influence upon medical research in universities. Only research proposals promising lucrative results are given serious consideration, and funding is usually awarded to scientists at large institutions who already have vast research experience. As a result, only larger universities will be able to continue developing adequate research facilities, and graduate students will learn that their future research must conform to the expectations of the corporation. Research will continue to be conducted at the expense of human welfare.

Which of the following reactions of a pharmaceutical company representative would provide the strongest rebuttal to the comments above?

* Many of the research projects funded by pharmaceutical companies do not end up being lucrative.
* Much of the funding provided by pharmaceutical companies goes to fellowships that help pay for the educations of graduate students.
* If it were not for the funds which pharmaceutical companies provide, very little medical research could be conducted at all.
* The committee members fail to discuss other methods of funding research projects.
* Larger universities are the only ones equipped to conduct the kind of research sponsored by pharmaceutical companies.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

Re: CR.. [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 10:10
ann wrote:
Through their selective funding of research projects, pharmaceutical companies exert too much influence upon medical research in universities. Only research proposals promising lucrative results are given serious consideration, and funding is usually awarded to scientists at large institutions who already have vast research experience. As a result, only larger universities will be able to continue developing adequate research facilities, and graduate students will learn that their future research must conform to the expectations of the corporation. Research will continue to be conducted at the expense of human welfare.

Which of the following reactions of a pharmaceutical company representative would provide the strongest rebuttal to the comments above?

* Many of the research projects funded by pharmaceutical companies do not end up being lucrative.
* Much of the funding provided by pharmaceutical companies goes to fellowships that help pay for the educations of graduate students.
* If it were not for the funds which pharmaceutical companies provide, very little medical research could be conducted at all.
* The committee members fail to discuss other methods of funding research projects.
* Larger universities are the only ones equipped to conduct the kind of research sponsored by pharmaceutical companies.

we need the " strongest rebuttal".

E is best.

Conclusion is that only large univs get these projects...so the rebuttal needs to be as strong. E is an all out attack on the argument..

A,B add "many" , "much" to the argument which really makes you wonder " exactly how much".

C ..makes exactly the same point the argument makes, too much company influence on research

D committee members??? where are they in the entire argument.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 10:40
I vote for C.

we need to think from pharma company's representative perspect...

author points out that graduate students have to conform to the research standards, and that they have to meet--in the research--expectation of the pharmaceutical compaies. But what if the companies don't provide the funds....no research will be done.

hence, representative refutes autor's allegation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 16:26
I like E. See my reasons:

I dont like C although it is close, because it is too ARROGANT :)

* A - useless choice, its a lame duck excuse.
* B - irrelevant excuse, has nothing to do with big Univs and research
* C - Someones gotta do the research, it seems like a defensive argument. SO I WILL NOT PICK IT.
* D - Seems like a place holder
* E - Pharam research is very complex, and needs vast Exp & good facilities - see the middle of the paragraph its all listed there. SO I GO WITH IT.
So I hear it like this: "ONLY BIG UNIVS CAN HANDLE THIS COMPLEX JOB - SO WE GOTTA FUND THEM - CAN LET OUR MONEY GO DOWN THE DRAIN IN UNIVS WHO CANT HANDLE SUCH COMPLEX TASKS"

If u see any flaw in my explaination, please I would like hear it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 03:53
C is the official answer?
But is not a rebuttal but corroboration of the comments.

pharmaceutical companies are the only source of money--they sponsor larger universities--so, only larger universities will be able to continue developing adequate research facilities

Where is a rebuttal? To rebate the comments, a representative should prove that NOT ONLY larger universities are able to conduct research.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 03:53
Is C the official answer?
C is not a rebuttal but corroboration of the comments.

pharmaceutical companies are the only source of money--they sponsor larger universities--so, only larger universities will be able to continue developing adequate research facilities

Where is a rebuttal? To rebate the comments, a representative should prove that NOT ONLY larger universities are able to conduct research.

Last edited by stolyar on 10 Dec 2003, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 08:12
stolyar wrote:
C is the official answer?
But is not a rebuttal but corroboration of the comments.

Agree.

The term logic should be large univerisities already have large/adaquate facilities and that's why they get priority NOT that they build large facilities because they get funding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Pharma [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 08:48
Guys,

Let me up this is a brilliant question. I do not like the logic of OA and OE...
1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR.. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
I think where some of you are getting tripped up here is in identifying the real conclusion of the argument. Yes, "only larger universities will be able to continue developing adequate research facilities, and graduate students will learn that their future research must conform to the expectations of the corporation." But what does the author conclude from that? He says that this dynamic means: "Research will continue to be conducted at the expense of human welfare."

Really, the crucial point of this argument is that pharma companies' funding occurs at the EXPENSE OF HUMAN WELFARE.

Answer choice C rebuts this idea by saying, "Wait wait wait! Without pharma funding, almost no medical research could even be done at all!" Essentially, C is saying that even if pharma funding is problematic, it's still necessary to enable whatever research occurs.

This is a tricky one! Answer choice E, which a lot of you seemed to like, simply offers a reason WHY more pharma funding goes to larger universities (they're equipped to handle the research).

Hope that helps!

Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Re: CR..   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2010, 10:51