Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Throwing in the White Towel. ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Throwing in the White Towel. ??? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 20:33
I am just about to call it quits on this all gnat studying bull***. I have been studying on and off for the past 6 weeks and I have not really seen any significant increase in my practice scores. I took the recommendation of people on this bought and combined the different strategies that seems to be working for everyone. Here are the books I am using

Kaplan Premier program
OG 11th ed
MGMAT – Sentence correction, number properties, word translation and inequalities

My biggest frustration is not seeing any increase in my scores. Here are the scores of the practice test so far:

Arco – 550
Acro – 590
Kaplan – 420
Kaplan 480
Kaplan 520.
I practice some of the question on the forum, but they all seem to be 700+ level question

Before I started studying my target was 700, then I took some test and immedtaily decreased that dream to 650. Now am starting to feel that even that is not even going to happened.
My biggest problems lie in SC. A non-native English speaker, I just cannot get this section. The vice of that is the CR. This is my forte and the only area that boots my verbal score.

For the quant, I seem to be making a lot of simple errors. And when I say a lot I mean a lot. After taking a test and review what I failed in the quant, a lot are just due to carelessness. I also do worse on PS than on DS (not sure if anyone else experience this).

Please someone let me know what is doing wrong. I want to throw the white towel but just not a quitting type of guy……

All your comments are highly appreciated. THANKS
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 08:40
kizito2001,

Have you had a chance to look into this post? I am a non-native speaker either, so I thought that my advice on SC and RC strategy could be useful for you as well.

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t50635

As far as quant goes, instead of trying to solve 700 level-questions, concetrate on 500-600 level in the OG and achieve a 95+% accuracy under timed conditions on those. The thing is that if you keep on making silly errors, GMAT algorithm will not have a chance to through a 700-level question at you at all.

Good luck and don't give up!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 09:25
I think the problem with most people who take the test is that they are ill-prepared with their study schedule.

The majority of your tests have been Arco and Kaplan. Arco and Kaplan? 'nuff said. You obviously haven't spent enough time here to know that many people question Kaplan's practice tests.

If you care to continue preparing, spend a solid month on this website. Learn the ins and outs of the test. Emulate the preparation style of some here. Read up on people who have gone from 550 - 700 and see how they did it.

As for the gmat, you need to study hard, but you also need to study smart. And ultimately, if you don't want to take the test/go to bschool, that's your prerogative. There's no shame in that. An mba is not necessary to be successful in business
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 19:55
Thanks for the advice. I think my problem has been jumping straight into the question without really understanding the fundamentals. I plan on spending more time improving my background on the materials than solving probelms.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Throwing in the White Towel. ??? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 14:53
kizito2001 wrote:
I am just about to call it quits on this all gnat studying bull***. I have been studying on and off for the past 6 weeks and I have not really seen any significant increase in my practice scores. I took the recommendation of people on this bought and combined the different strategies that seems to be working for everyone. Here are the books I am using

Kaplan Premier program
OG 11th ed
MGMAT – Sentence correction, number properties, word translation and inequalities

My biggest frustration is not seeing any increase in my scores. Here are the scores of the practice test so far:

Arco – 550
Acro – 590
Kaplan – 420
Kaplan 480
Kaplan 520.
I practice some of the question on the forum, but they all seem to be 700+ level question

Before I started studying my target was 700, then I took some test and immedtaily decreased that dream to 650. Now am starting to feel that even that is not even going to happened.
My biggest problems lie in SC. A non-native English speaker, I just cannot get this section. The vice of that is the CR. This is my forte and the only area that boots my verbal score.

For the quant, I seem to be making a lot of simple errors. And when I say a lot I mean a lot. After taking a test and review what I failed in the quant, a lot are just due to carelessness. I also do worse on PS than on DS (not sure if anyone else experience this).

Please someone let me know what is doing wrong. I want to throw the white towel but just not a quitting type of guy……

All your comments are highly appreciated. THANKS

Never throw in the towel. Just keep taking more practice tests and consistently review your error log. There is a reference somewhere in the archives to an applicant who took the GMAT 13 TIMES and finally was accepted to Wharton. I took it four times and would have taken it another four if push came to shove.
Re: Throwing in the White Towel. ???   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2007, 14:53