Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thrusday with RON - Main Idea

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Thrusday with RON - Main Idea [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 08:34
Hi Guys,

I was referring to thrusdays with ron ( https://vimeo.com/18632588).

He mentions that we need to "mentally blackout" some of the portion of the passage.
My questions is how to do that. If I start writing down in the notebook the unblack portion
as he mentioned in the video
however, XXX identified 2 opposing theories XXXX

it consumes a lot of time.

Can somebody suggest a better way to do that ?

Regards !!
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Thrusday with RON - Main Idea [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 10:18
Expert's post
Indeed that is good advice.

Ye,s it is not easy at first but you need to pretend (in a way) that someone has asked you what the main idea of the sentence is in a handful of words. AND you need to remind yourself that this is for mapping purposes and for General Idea and other such questions that can be answered via what we call Initial Reading. You do not need to write down and 'black out' necessarily. The point is valid though- We want general information not specific info as this will not help us.

For example, If the first two sentences state: The Baby Boomer era was characterized by the tension between an attempt to maintain a new moral anti consumerist and rights-based belief system, and a desire to accumulate wealth. The 1990s are replete with examples of purportedly non consumerist philosophies that were turned on their heads such as X, Y, and Z etc etc

Well what is the main idea? What should we take notes on? Ask yourself first: What is the sentence about? Then ask yourself: What else do I know about this...?

S1 (sentence 1): Baby boomer era-main character. tension between new morality and wealth
S2 1990s- ex.s of anti consumerism phil. abandoned

Do we need to know what the specific examples are? no.

As you get better at notetaking you will also get better at filtering out unimportant info. Always remember we want JUST the main idea. Pretend you are the teacher and a student asked you what the main idea of the sentence is (or paragraph or text).

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/GMATTutorEcon
(866) 292-0660

Re: Thrusday with RON - Main Idea   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 10:18