Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thunderbird or Santa Clara

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thunderbird or Santa Clara [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 10:07
Hi folks,

My brother has received letters of acceptance from both Thunderbird and Santa Clara.

He is having a tough time trying to decide between the two programs. I am hoping some folks here would be able to weigh in on which school they would/might pick and why.

Brother's background: Based in the Mid-West. Political Science undergrad. 3 years work experience running his own very profitable business. Has a keen sense of how the world works from his Poli Sci background.

Things he likes about Santa Clara: It's in/near silicon valley. Might be a good fit culturally for an entraprenuer. More companies in the vicintiy. Other good academic programs nearby for events and networking purposes. Internships might be more readily available regionally.

This he dislikes about Santa Clara: It is an evening program. There may be a larger pool of students that work during the day and go to school at night or they might have families to tend to, the concern is that close networking opportunities may be limited because of classmates priorities.

Things he likes about Thunderbird: It's a day program. Global in nature. Good brand.

Things he dislikes about Thunderbird: May not have good job prospects afterwards. Concerned about the ROI. The overall landscape where Thunderbird is located might not offer much outside the campus events themselves.

Any thoughts/perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Thunderbird or Santa Clara [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 15:22
Hey zaman,

I am a current MBA student at Thunderbird and I'll be graduating this August. Let me tell you about my experience at Thunderbird, hoping that it will help your brother with his decision.

Thunderbird is definitely a different school. On average more than 50% of the student body in the full time MBA program is from a foreign country (I am from Italy, for example). The whole environment is therefore very international, and the classroom experience benefits from having a large number of students from different countries. For example, discussing the South East Asia economic crisis of the '90s with students from Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia who can tell you their own direct experience is something that you can only get in very few schools.

Thunderbird's focus on international business also means that the school is better known abroad than in the US. Many companies that recruit at Thunderbird look for people with foreign language skills or that are able to do business with different cultures. If your brother is looking to refine his international business skills, then Thunderbird is definitely the school for him.

As far as your concern about the location, you are right, the Phoenix metro area (and especially Glendale) doesn't have that much to offer when compared to the Bay Area, however there are a few important points to consider. Because there isn't much to do outside of campus, students tend to organize a lot of parties, get togethers, and other activities.

There are dozens of student clubs (from the golf club, to the wine club, to the Private Equity club) that allow for numerous networking events, social interaction, and leadership opportunities in professional and recreational areas you are interested in. In addition, when students spend more time with each other (rather than hanging out outside of campus with a small number of other students), they form deeper bonds and relationship that last for a lifetime. This is evidenced by an extremely strong and active Alumni network spread out in over 160 countries. Thanks to the strong relationship that Thunderbird students create on campus, Thunderbird alumni are like a big family and when you need to get a job at a particular company, chances are that there is one or more Thunderbird alumni working there who are more than happy to help you get an insider's edge. In addition, Thunderbird's legendary pub is a meeting place for many Thunderbird's Alumni who may be in town for business or pleasure, and on occasion you will find Exxon Mobil or Intel or other executives singing their hearts out at Thunderbird's karaoke night.
Finally, the isolated location is an encouragement for students to organize trips to Las Vegas, L.A., or the Grand Canyon to get out of campus on a weekend.

Also the many opportunities to study abroad for one or more trimesters are definitely my favorite aspect of Thunderbird's curriculum. My study abroad in Prague last summer was memorable, especially because it was during the World Cup (soccer) and we would all go to the main square after class to watch a game on the big screens and drink lots of local beer.

All in all, I have to say that Thunderbird is far from being a perfect school in a perfect location. But I think the flaws people see at the surface are exactly what makes Thunderbird the amazing school it is. Students here come together from all corners of the world and work together to overcome these negatives, creating an environment that is so much more than what a traditional MBA offers.

Hope this helps,

Lorenzo
Intern
Intern

Re: Thunderbird or Santa Clara [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 10:03
Thank you Lorenzo. I really appreciate the time you put into your thoughts about Thunderbird.

Does anyone else have any thought to compare/contrast on Santa Clara?
Re: Thunderbird or Santa Clara   [#permalink] 27 May 2011, 10:03