Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [15]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [4]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Re: Thunderstorms generally develop in the late afternoon or evening hours [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am not an expert. However I am sharing my Strategy.
Reading strategy for all Passage:
1. Find the main idea/or purpose : Why the author is writing this?
2. How does each para support the purpose?
Biology/Physical science Passage: Read quickly what is the point of passage, Note the point of each para so that u can refer back easily.
For all type of RC question except the LEAST/EXCEPT types i use the same strategy
1. Prethink the answer choice from my own comprehension. (Without looking at options - they may distract you)
2. Eliminate all answer choice based on off topic, partially correct, out of scope, reverse relationship, unnecessary assumptions, exaggerate options etc....
3. If bogged down in 2 choice (refer back to the related content and eliminate the wrong one)

For Main idea: You have to ask yourself why author is writing this. Please pause a few seconds to comprehend a small para and ask this question. Paraphase one para in single line. Then try to connect structurally how the author has connected the details with the main point. Dont bogged down in too scientific details, just get the gist.

After reading the whole passage take 20-30 sec and answer few questions.
1. What is the pain point or purpose of this writing.
2. How each para support the main point.
3. What is the inference of this Passage.

For this particular question the Key thing was last line of 2nd para where it tells scientists were inconclusive on the result.

Then go on answering the question, but cover up the choices and answer urself first and then try to find the answer choices according to your prethinking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Thunderstorms generally develop in the late afternoon or evening hours [#permalink]
In ques 1

Why ans D is correct.
It is written in the first paragraph that there is a circuit completion which causes cloud to ground lighting.
So scientists agree on causes of cloud to ground lighting i.e circuit completion making option d partially wrong.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

Topic and Scope

- The author describes two theories of cloud electrification and their possible impact on controlling lightning formation.

Mapping the Passage

¶1 describes the mechanism of lightning formation and notes that scientists hope to someday control it.
¶2 introduces two competing theories of cloud electrification, convection and precipitation, and describes the older theory of precipitation.
¶3 describes the convection model of cloud electrification.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

Answers and Explanations OE

1)

What is the author‘s main purpose? To describe the competing theories on cloud charge and to describe how they might help to control lightning. (D) fits well
(A): Out of Scope. The author doesn‘t discuss recent breakthroughs, and only one of the theories presented has evidence described.
(B): Faulty Use of Detail. Though this is mentioned in the passage, it‘s not the main idea of the passage.
(C): Distortion. The author presents two competing theories, but doesn‘t endorse one or the other or argue that they‘re inaccurate.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Out of scope. The author never states his preference for any theory.

2)

Go back to the referenced line numbers to read about breakdown potential. The passage says that lightning occurs after the ―breakdown potential‖ is reached. Only A catches this cause-and-effect relationship.
(A): The correct answer
(B): Opposite. The breakdown potential is required for lightning to occur, but it‘s not a characteristic of the lightning itself.
(C): Out of Scope. The author doesn‘t mention the distance between the earth and cloud.
(D):Opposite. As with (B), this is a quality of the lightning rather than a precondition for it.
(E): Takes the meaning of ‗breakdown‘ too literally

3)

Though scientists differ on the causes of cloud electrification, you can deduce from this fact alone that they believe that cloud electrification exists. By definition, then, even the scientists who differ on the causes must both agree with (C), that there‘s a charge difference between cloud and ground.
(A): Faulty Use of Detail. While scientists who argue for the convection model in ¶3 believe this, not all scientists do.
(B): Faulty Use of Detail. This is a part of the precipitation argument in ¶2.
(C): The correct answer
(D): Opposite. This is a potential way to stop lightning from forming and also a test of the precipitation hypothesis as described in ¶2.
(E): The passage doesn‘t really connect moisture content with lightning.
Strategy Point: When a Natural Science passage presents competing theories, be on the lookout for areas of agreement as well as points of difference.

4)

Review ¶3 to review the convection theory. The main tenet of the convection model is that water droplets capture ionized gas molecules which are transported in updrafts and downdrafts. With an eye to the paragraph, look for a choice that conflicts with or is not part of the theory. (D) is part of the precipitation theory described in ¶2 and doesn‘t factor into the convection theory.
(A): Opposite. This is mentioned in line 39.
(B): Opposite. This is mentioned in ¶1 and is the basis for both theories.
(C): Opposite. As described in ¶3, this must be true in order for the ionized gas particles to be transported.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Opposite. This is mentioned in ¶3
Strategy Point: Proper names, italicized text, and titles can all be a useful way to quickly zero in on relevant concepts and text.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GRE 1: Q158 V156
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
raveesh1203 wrote:
In ques 1

Why ans D is correct.
It is written in the first paragraph that there is a circuit completion which causes cloud to ground lighting.
So scientists agree on causes of cloud to ground lighting i.e circuit completion making option d partially wrong.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I think answer D is correct because paragraph 1 & 2 discusses the reasons why lightning occurs and the process which the charge is built. Paragraph 1 is saying the precipitation model (drops of water becomes negatively charged) while paragraph 2 discusses, experiments and hypothesizes a different cause (the ion model, charge is due to updrafts/downdrafts, explained in the experiment). Although i didnt get this question correct ( i choose b because i was lured by the hypotheses power of paragraph 1&2), answer D is better in hindsight.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM