Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria's Cheese Importation Board

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria's Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 23:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (02:16) correct 18% (01:15) wrong based on 284 sessions
Thyrian lawmaker: Thyria’s Cheese Importation Board inspects all cheese shipments to Thyria and rejects shipments not meeting specifi ed standards. Yet only 1 percent is ever rejected. Therefore, since the health consequences and associated economic costs of not rejecting that 1 percent are negligible, whereas the board’s operating costs are considerable, for economic reasons alone the board should be
disbanded.

Consultant: I disagree. The threat of having their shipments rejected deters many cheese exporters from shipping substandard product. The consultant responds to the lawmaker’s argument by

(A) rejecting the lawmaker’s argument while proposing that the standards according to which the board inspects imported cheese should be
raised
(B) providing evidence that the lawmaker’s argument has significantly overestimated the cost of maintaining the board
(C) objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the discussion factors that are not strictly economic
(D) pointing out a benefi t of maintaining the board, which the lawmaker’s argument has failed to consider
(E) shifting the discussion from the argument at hand to an attack on the integrity of the cheese inspectors

[Reveal] Spoiler:
pls explain how you got to the answer, this helps others! leaving just an answer is useless to everyone! :-D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 148
Location: Toronto
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG12: Thyria’s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 00:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi!

This question type is fairly rare on the GMAT, but one that comes up from time to time.

When we're asked how someone responds, we rarely worry about the actual details of the arguments. Instead, we need to abstract each speech and consider the general form of the response.

So, let's paraphrase each argument.

lawmaker: only 1% of cheese gets rejected; health and economic costs of not rejecting the 1% are negligible; operating cost of board is high; therefore, board should be disbanded.

consultant: boards act as a deterrent; therefore, don't disband.

Our prediction: the consultant doesn't attack the lawmaker's evidence; rather, the consultant raises another argument in support of keeping the board.

The choices:

A) doesn't match our prediction - eliminate!

B) doesn't match our prediction - eliminate!

C) doesn't match our prediction - eliminate!

D) ding ding ding! Pointing out a benefit that the lawmaker failed to consider is a perfect match - choose D!

E) doesn't match our prediction - eliminate!

For method of argument questions (that's what they're called on the LSAT, where they're far more common), the 4 choices will simply not match what the responder did.

_________________

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 658
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG12: Thyria’s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 01:51
this is fairly simple D . did not find any difficulty with this question

_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 07:25
why not C?
Board's function as deterrant is not strictly an economic reason.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 12:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
maggiegecby wrote:
why not C?
Board's function as deterrant is not strictly an economic reason.


You have to read the question more carefully. The question stem asks us about how the consultant responds to the lawmaker. The consultant is not objecting to the lawmaker's introduction of non-economic factors (the negligible health consequences). Rather, the consultant raises another non-economic benefit that the lawmaker had not considered: that the board functions to deter substandard products, thus enhancing its non-economic value.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 837
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 12:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
andrewwellsmba wrote:
maggiegecby wrote:
why not C?
Board's function as deterrant is not strictly an economic reason.


You have to read the question more carefully. The question stem asks us about how the consultant responds to the lawmaker. The consultant is not objecting to the lawmaker's introduction of non-economic factors (the negligible health consequences). Rather, the consultant raises another non-economic benefit that the lawmaker had not considered: that the board functions to deter substandard products, thus enhancing its non-economic value.


consultant is disagreeing so it means consultant is objecting ..so that is not wrong in this case.
the problem with C is:
C STATES:objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the
discussionfactors that are not strictly economic
THER WAS A SINGLE ISSUE RAISED BY THE CONSULTANT AND NOT VARIOUS FACTORS,,,thats why it is wrong.

_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 20:15
Thyrian lawmaker: Thyria’s Cheese Importation Board
inspects all cheese shipments to Thyria and rejects
shipments not meeting specifi ed standards. Yet only 1
percent is ever rejected. Therefore, since the health
consequences and associated economic costs of not
rejecting that 1 percent are negligible, whereas the
board’s operating costs are considerable, for
economic reasons alone the board should be
disbanded.
Consultant: I disagree. The threat of having their
shipments rejected deters many cheese exporters
from shipping substandard product.
The consultant responds to the lawmaker’s
argument by
(A) rejecting the lawmaker’s argument while
proposing that the standards according to which
the board inspects imported cheese should be
raised
the consultant does not propose that the standards should be raised

(B) providing evidence that the lawmaker’s
argument has significantly overestimated the
cost of maintaining the board
the consultant mentions about the benefit of maintaining the board other than the cost of maintaining it

(C) objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the
discussion factors that are not strictly economic
the consultant does not argue that the lawmaker's discussion is not economic

(D) pointing out a benefi t of maintaining the board,
which the lawmaker’s argument has failed to
consider
Correct. The consultant provide evidence of benefit of maintaining the board, i.e. deterring exporter from shipping substandard products

(E) shifting the discussion from the argument at
hand to an attack on the integrity of the cheese
inspectors
out of scope


pls explain how you got to the answer, this helps others! leaving just an answer is useless to everyone! :-D

_________________

Vietnam's number one online service on thit bo nhap khau

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 22:27
blueseas wrote:

consultant is disagreeing so it means consultant is objecting ..so that is not wrong in this case.
the problem with C is:
C STATES:objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the
discussionfactors that are not strictly economic
THER WAS A SINGLE ISSUE RAISED BY THE CONSULTANT AND NOT VARIOUS FACTORS,,,thats why it is wrong.


ok, that's subtle, i didn't notice that. but thanks anyway.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 22:29
andrewwellsmba wrote:

You have to read the question more carefully. The question stem asks us about how the consultant responds to the lawmaker. The consultant is not objecting to the lawmaker's introduction of non-economic factors (the negligible health consequences). Rather, the consultant raises another non-economic benefit that the lawmaker had not considered: that the board functions to deter substandard products, thus enhancing its non-economic value.



ok, got that :-D
consultant objected by raising another non-economic factor, not objected to the non-economic factor introduced, right?

thx! 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 14:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
maggiegecby wrote:
andrewwellsmba wrote:

You have to read the question more carefully. The question stem asks us about how the consultant responds to the lawmaker. The consultant is not objecting to the lawmaker's introduction of non-economic factors (the negligible health consequences). Rather, the consultant raises another non-economic benefit that the lawmaker had not considered: that the board functions to deter substandard products, thus enhancing its non-economic value.



ok, got that :-D
consultant objected by raising another non-economic factor, not objected to the non-economic factor introduced, right?

thx! 8-)


Precisely right. Not only is the consultant not objecting to non-economic factors, but he's actually emphasizing the importance of those factors by raising a more significant non-economic consideration that the lawmaker failed to consider.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria s Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 20:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
blueseas wrote:
andrewwellsmba wrote:
maggiegecby wrote:
why not C?
Board's function as deterrant is not strictly an economic reason.


You have to read the question more carefully. The question stem asks us about how the consultant responds to the lawmaker. The consultant is not objecting to the lawmaker's introduction of non-economic factors (the negligible health consequences). Rather, the consultant raises another non-economic benefit that the lawmaker had not considered: that the board functions to deter substandard products, thus enhancing its non-economic value.


consultant is disagreeing so it means consultant is objecting ..so that is not wrong in this case.
the problem with C is:
C STATES:objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the
discussionfactors that are not strictly economic
THER WAS A SINGLE ISSUE RAISED BY THE CONSULTANT AND NOT VARIOUS FACTORS,,,thats why it is wrong.


No, I'm afraid that isn't correct. Answer choice C states:

[the consultant is] objecting to the lawmaker’s introducing into the discussion factors that are not strictly economic

The source of disagreement is the point at issue. And we've established that the consultant isn't objecting to the use of non-economic factors, because to do so contradicts his own use of non-economic factors in his counter argument. The consultant is disagreeing with the lawmaker's dismissal of non-economic factors. He affirms this by asserting the board's deterring effect, which is, strictly speaking, another non-economic factor, albeit a better factor than was presented and dismissed by the lawmaker.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 483
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 239

Premium Member
Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria's Cheese Importation Board [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 05:28
1
This post received
KUDOS

_________________

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria's Cheese Importation Board   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 05:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic It's very important for CEOs, board members, and other getgyan 3 08 Oct 2012, 21:23
5 Goronian lawmaker: Goronia's Cheese Importation Board, the maybeam 6 26 Jul 2012, 06:24
Experts publish their posts in the topic It's very important for CEOs, board members, and other sudhir18n 1 14 Apr 2011, 11:44
Cheese balls problem! zazainzeus 2 27 Sep 2007, 09:57
Goronian lawmaker: Goronia's Cheese Importation Board, the gamjatang 7 12 Dec 2005, 21:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Thyrian lawmaker : Thyria's Cheese Importation Board

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.