Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tiger beetles are such fast runners that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 18:49
I believe it's C.

According to C,

"a beetle usually responds immediately to changes in the insect's direction"
it means beetle doesn't go blind. It undermines the second hypotheses.

"it pauses equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline", it means beetle cannot maintain their pace and must pause for a moment's rest. It supports the first hypothese.

In my opinion, B can not be an answer.
B says that "beetle alters its course".
It may happen that beetle might be going blind and changing their directions.

OA please.....Interesting CR!!

Regards,
Brajesh
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 21:14
Vina,

What's the OA?

-Brajesh
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 00:26
C for me.
I have used POE to eliminate the wrong answers.
A When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately stops and runs away without its usual intermittent stopping. clearly wrong.

B In pursuing a swerving insect, a beetle alters its course while running and its pauses become more frequent as the chase progresses.
gives credence to both the theories.

C In pursuing a moving insect, a beetle usually responds immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and it pauses equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.
This one negates the blind theory and conforms with the pace theory.

D If, when a beetle pauses, it has not gained on the insect it is pursuing, the beetle generally ends its pursuit.
this means that it had to pause first. Second it reevaluated the visual bit and then realized that the insect is very far. Re the pace theory it does not explain why the beetle stopped. so it actually conforms to both the theories.

E The faster a beetle pursues an insect fleeing directly away from it, the more frequently the beetle stops.
again eliminate it.

Whats the correct answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 00:28
b14kumar wrote:
Vina,

What's the OA?

-Brajesh

Sorry what do you mean by OA. On the Attack. :P
On Arrival
Over to the Answer :twisted:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 08:24
b14kumar wrote:
I believe it's C.

According to C,

"a beetle usually responds immediately to changes in the insect's direction"
it means beetle doesn't go blind. It undermines the second hypotheses.

"it pauses equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline", it means beetle cannot maintain their pace and must pause for a moment's rest. It supports the first hypothese.

You are right about the "a beetle usually responds immediately to changes in the insect's direction", undermining first hypothesis.

I think you are wrong about the second part, "it pauses equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline". If the beetle is stopping to catch his breath, then this means the beetle gets equally tired whether running uphill or downhill. How is that possible? Even an athlete gets more tired when running uphill.

b14kumar wrote:
In my opinion, B can not be an answer.
B says that "In pursuing a swerving insect, a beetle alters its course while running ".
It may happen that beetle might be going blind and changing their directions.

That does not make sense, the hypothesis is that the beetle stops when it goes blind. Oh well, lets wait for the official answer I guess.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 08:38
OA is B
This is from OG 11th Ed. Diagnostic Test
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 08:45
good one.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 07:54
whats the OA as per GMATPrep?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 17:14
A) When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately turns and runs away without its usual intermittent stopping.
This sentence suggests a survival issue for Beetle. So whether or not it needs rest or become blind, it has to save its life so keep running. This is not the answer.

B) In pursuing a moving insect, the beetles usually respond immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and pause equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.
"usually respond immediately to changes" implies beetle does not become blind so refuting the second hypothesis. "pause equally frequently whether..." implies irrespective of condition they stop, so "rest" is not the issue, as if it is an issue then going up incline they will rest more frequently.

C) The beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses, although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after the next pause.
"maintain a fixed time interval..." refutes first experiment. "though when an insect..." supports beetle is not able to see it when prey started fleeing, so next time when beetle pauses and see prey is fleeing increases its speed.

D) If, when the beetle pauses, it has not gained on the suspect while pursuing, the beetle generally ends the pursuit.
Neither supports the first hypothesis nor the second hypothesis.

E) When an obstacle is suddenly introduced just in front of the running beetles, the beetles stop immediately, but they never respond by running around the barrier.
"When an obstacle is.." indicates beetle is not blind thereby refuting second hypothesis but this does not supports the first experiment as required by the question.

So Answer is C.

Last edited by abhijit_sen on 29 May 2008, 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 18:31
So which one is your answer ????
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 19:07
I am thinking B..
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 09:40
This is C all the way. I even have a screen capture if you want proof.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:57
Well its really good question. +1 to you. My pick would be C. if correct would provide explan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 14:27
C for me as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 14:39
B and C r close

Will go for B.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 17:15
I am going for B..
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 17:22
As usual everyone's reasoning it through :P .... in their heads ...
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 17:25
bsd_lover wrote:
As usual everyone's reasoning it through :P .... in their heads ...

OK..so here is why..one of the choices has to weaken 1 hypothesis..and strengthen the other..

B says..hey if the prey moves very quickly it wont blind the beatle..while at the same time it strengthens the other hypothesis that they just run out of gas :)
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:05
OA is C.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 21:38
I dont like this OG question, even reading OE many times but still being stuck! I wonder why OG writers can even write it like that! :P :P :P

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMATPREP - CR - Tiger Beetles (what a ripper)   [#permalink] 28 May 2008, 21:38