Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 06:36
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 671 [1] , given: 62

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Sorry marcab great question.

But according to the mgmat forum the question has this answers

Quote:
A When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately stops and runs away without its usual intermittent stopping.

B In pursuing a swerving insect, a beetle alters its course while running and its pauses become more frequent as the chase progresses.

C In pursuing a moving insect, a beetle usually responds immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and it pauses equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.

D If, when a beetle pauses, it has not gained on the insect it is pursuing, the beetle generally ends its pursuit.

E The faster a beetle pursues an insect fleeing directly away from it, the more frequently the beetle stops.

OA here is C and in your question is B. So the definitive answer should be B (my answer too)

Correct me if i'm wrong :)

OA there is B.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/tig ... t3238.html

But here, in this question, the choices are very different.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 2783 [0], given: 704

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 07:21
Expert's post
well I agree.

i noticed it but the choices are quite similar and the stimulus is the same and answer C (MGMAT forum) here is B, and at the same time your OA is C. I know that there are variations of the same question, but after all is a bit confuse.

Anyway, Great job. kudos

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 12:52
dentobizz wrote:
C does weaken the first hypothesis that beetles get tired and need rest , how does is strengthen hypothesis 2?

Hi Marcab,
When I first read this question I thought it was the same as in the CR section of DT from OG12 , hence I assumed the OA to be B. I went through the answer choices only to realize that these are two different sets and OA here is C, so I mentioned the other question avoid any future confusion to other posters as well. Anyway moving forward . I agree that C weakens the hypothesis that beetles get tired and need rest but how does it strengthen the hypothesis about vision difficulty?

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 19:52
Expert's post
@dentobizz....thats the thing I am still looking for and thats why I posted the question.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 02:56
C] the beetle maintains fixed time interval b/w pauses---this helps us to think that beetle is not tried, otherwise the frequency or duration of pauses would increase,this will weaken the tiredness hypothesis

, although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.---may be this points out to the fact that beetle can increase it speed ONLY after it has adjusted the visual filed ie after its next pause. this will strengthen the eye problem hypothesis

more thoughts please

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 10

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 03:22
dentobizz wrote:
C] the beetle maintains fixed time interval b/w pauses---this helps us to think that beetle is not tried, otherwise the frequency or duration of pauses would increase,this will weaken the tiredness hypothesis

, although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.---may be this points out to the fact that beetle can increase it speed ONLY after it has adjusted the visual filed ie after its next pause. this will strengthen the eye problem hypothesis

more thoughts please

C. The beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses, although when an insect that had been stationary
begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.

Let us analyze the problem in greater detail

What are the factors given in the question that affect the rest theory ?

1. Speed. Greater the speed more the need for rest
2. Time. More time chasing more the need for rest

What are the factors given in the question that affect the visual information theory?

1. Speed. Greater the speed more difficult to process visual information
2. Change in direction of the insect. Makes difficult the processing of visual information.

Let us now analyze choice C.

That the beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses says that the time factor doesn't affect them. So the rest theory is weakened and the second part although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause. says that the beetle which is stationary and then starts to move cannot initially move at the normal speed because it has to process visual information at a markedly higher rate.

I very much agree with dentobizz's explanation.

A very difficult problem but I would still say not totally free of flaws.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 457 [1] , given: 249

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
to avoid all the heavy and convoluted reasoning one could solve this problem by eliminating wrong options.A E and D can be ruled out easily.If you can eliminate B by the incline logic.then ur only left with C.Job done!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 21:14
Hi ,
Just to get a closure on this question ,there is the explanation given by Ron regarding this cr problem.

"the problem with choice (b) is that it works against both hypotheses.
* the "immediate response" part works against the blindness hypothesis. (if the beetles went blind while running, they wouldn't change direction until they paised to regain their eyesight.)
* the "pausing equally often up or down an incline" part works against the moment's rest hypothesis. (it's harder to run up an incline than to run down one. so, according to the "they get tired" hypothesis, the beetle should have to stop more often if it's running up an incline.)

choice (c) is the one you want.
* the beetle reacts after it pauses, thus supporting the idea that it's blind (and so unable to react) until it pauses. (i.e., the increase in speed is not immediate; the beetle doesn't know that it's supposed to run faster until it has stopped and looked.)
* according to this information, the rest interval between pauses is fixed. note that this is true even when the beetle runs faster, as described -- an observation that undermines the "moment's rest" hypothesis. (according to the "beetle gets tired" hypothesis, the beetle should have to stop after less time if it's running faster.)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 02:50
The answer is clearly (B) here as per the question posted by Marcab . This is the only option which strengthens one hypothesis and weakens the other hypothesis .

No other option does that.
I am still confused wth the OA.

Marcab , could you please post the OA once more ? is it (c) or (b)

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 131

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 07:34
Marcab wrote:
The answer to question posted by me is C.

Hi,
practicegmat, this is a gmatprep question and the official answer is C . Explanation for this is given above.

HTH

impossible is nothing

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 07:46
Expert's post
OA of the original question here is C.
Guys, again mentioning, there is another question from GMAT prep with the same stimulus but different answer choices and answer to that question was B. Here the choices are indeed very different.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 19:27
I agree completely with Ron's explanation (posted by Dentobizz) for the version where C is the answer. I found that answer confusing because of the "next pause" wording. Now I see that it makes sense: The prey insect starts to flee while the tiger beetle is running, and the tiger beetle can't see it. When the tiger beetle pauses to look again, it sees that the prey is further away - so it speeds up. This supports the "visual overload" hypothesis, as Ron says. And the fact that the interval between pauses does NOT get shorter goes against the "getting tired" hypothesis.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 20:00
The problem for the beetle seems to be at the start of the chase , with regard to speed. So when after being stationary it starts moving there is an abrupt change in visual information which it is not able to process properly and results in lower speed. The difference between being stationary and the pauses is that in the latter it is still processing the previous information and as that happens in a moment it starts chasing again and there is a sort of continuity and not an abrupt change in the visual information even after the pause. So it can move at a higher speed after the first pause.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 20:28
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
The problem for the beetle seems to be at the start of the chase , with regard to speed. So when after being stationary it starts moving there is an abrupt change in visual information which it is not able to process properly and results in lower speed. The difference between being stationary and the pauses is that in the latter it is still processing the previous information and as that happens in a moment it starts chasing again and there is a sort of continuity and not an abrupt change in the visual information even after the pause. So it can move at a higher speed after the first pause.

To add to my explanation, in the "visual theory", we know that the beetle reduces its speed and come to a halt with rapidly changing visual information. So change in visual information has an impact on speed. So we would expect the start of the chase to be slow if the visual theory is true.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 20:55
can you please provide a definitive answer to the question?
Is the question wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 21:23
rohantiwari wrote:
can you please provide a definitive answer to the question?
Is the question wrong?

This in fact is a good question:-) As I mentioned elsewhere the question is not free of flaws and it is not easy to arrive at the correct answer.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 22:12
@rohantiwari pls see the posts above the OA is 'C' and this is a Official gmatprep question so it can't be wrong. Hope its clear

Posted from my mobile device Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 00:24
Marcab wrote:
Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture virtually any nonflying insect. However, when running
toward an insect, the beetles intermittently stop, and then, a moment later, resume their attack. Perhaps they
cannot maintain their pace and must pause for a moment's rest; but an alternative hypothesis is that while
running tiger beetles are unable to process the resulting rapidly changing visual information, and so quickly go
blind and stop. Which of the following, if discovered in experiments using artificially moved prey
insects, would support one of the two hypotheses and undermine the other?
A. When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately turns and
runs away without its usual intermittent stopping.
B. In pursuing a moving insect, the beetles usually respond immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and
pause equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.
C. The beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses, although when an insect that had been stationary
begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.
D. If, when a beetle pauses, it has not gained on the insect it is pursuing, the beetle generally ends its pursuit.
E. When an obstacle is suddenly introduced just in front of running beetles, the beetles sometimes stop
immediately, but they never respond by running around the barrier.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon

Though the same stimulus is available with different answer choices, I found this one to be a tough one. Explanations will be appreciated.

The first part of choice C says that the beetles maintain fixed time interval between pauses. So irrespective of how different the variations may be in the visual information between pauses, the vision is maintained in that interval. So it doesn't seem logical that the beetle wouldn't be able to see an insect that has been stationary which then starts to flee. There would be no need to increase the speed after the next pause. In my view C doesn't directly support the visual theory. "Although,... the beetle increases its speed" in the second part can at best be used as an additional support to undermine the rest theory.

Looks like it is a messed up question.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 09 Jan 2013, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 03:07
"they can capture virtually any nonflying insect."

begins to flee
, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.

is'nt C against the premise above?
Re: Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 03:07