Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 99 [2] , given: 116

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:54) correct 31% (01:26) wrong based on 144 sessions
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.

Quote:
how do small sharks come in picture to cast doubts on whether Mayor's strategy will work or not.
All that the Mayor is stating is killing of Tiger sharks and not small sharks. I marked E and its wrong.
Can somebody guide me?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 135 [3] , given: 75

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
maybeam wrote:
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.

Quote:
how do small sharks come in picture to cast doubts on whether Mayor's strategy will work or not.
All that the Mayor is stating is killing of Tiger sharks and not small sharks. I marked E and its wrong.

Can somebody guide me?

Very tricky,

small shark...feed on fish (small shark eats small fishes)

when tiger sharks will be killed then the number of small sharks will increase then these small sharks will eat the small fishes ,which are commercially important to generate revenue.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [4] , given: 10

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
If we rewrite this stimulus, then it may be .

Tiger sharks Usually feed on smaller sharks and sometimes attack tourists -when tourists swim at Tenare's beaches. This "attack" hurts Tenare's tourism industry that is second annual revenue producing source in relation to fishing industry. To help the economy, therefore, the mayor offered a program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of swimming areas of the beaches.

For which of the following, mayor's program may not be better suited for helping economy or increasing revenue?

As per my understanding in weakening question ,action is firstly to find the alternative-----show the relationship is reverse- and------secondly to prove the coclusion is not tenable.

however, here you can use any of them, because you have to show that the program will not bring intended result in helping economy by increasing revenue.

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.----here this support the argument. because this ensures the potential tourists advent, thereby causing huge revenue. this show that the mayor program still best suited for its achieving goal-to increase revenues.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program. who will bear the cost of the program is not our concern. but the concern is to whether the program will be successful for achieving revenue or not.though it indirectly support the argument, it does not tell the success of the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions. it may be that the main tourist attractions are to swimming and surfing in Tenare beaches rather than Tenare Island attracting features. this event produces huge revenue, but tiger shark causes hurt these tourists, tourists will not come again and dispense a dire feelings among potential roamers. this will hurt revenue, so this program must be implement for certaining the economy from the losses. this is strenthening the argument not weakening the argument. but if you say, this option is irrelevant, i will not absolutely disagree with you......
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing. this entails some possibilty for some tourists to be attacked by the tiger sharks if they swim in the beaches.-----what the stimulus says ----but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches.----------it says tourists swimming and surfing, here swimming and surfing modifies the tourists who are in the beaches for tiger shark's reach. so you can not attack the argument by the same line from the stimulus. and it also true that if some of tourists be attacked by the tiger sharks, other tourists will not be motivated to visit this beaches, i think they will disseminate the bad experience from the beaches to their close one or potential visitors to the beaches.

in D what it says ? our concern is to weaken the program that will not bring intended result in increasing revenues, ok?
D says----
tiger shaks feed small shark
small shark feed fish
fish are first revenue producing industry in Tenare
: if the program be succeed , then small sharks will easily feed on the fish that is 1st revenues generating sector in the beaches, causing negative impact on the economy
: if the program is not be succeeded , the small sharks will be reduced in number and feed on fish,this event will increase the fish and revenue for tenare.

be care when reading a sentence having modifiers...........i will also appear for the exam same date to your

Last edited by heygmat on 14 Jul 2012, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 23:16
Opps i got this wrong. I chose E. I didnt understand D at first, i thought Tiger Sharks are feeding small sharks, with careful reading found out, it is not so!

My take away from HeyGMAT's Explanation - To be careful while choosing options with some,not many, a few sort of wordings. This one is going to my exception list! +1 to you HeyGMAT!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 00:38
[quote="asax"]Opps i got this wrong. I chose E. I didnt understand D at first, i thought Tiger Sharks are feeding small sharks, with careful reading found out, it is not so!

My take away from HeyGMAT's Explanation - To be careful while choosing options with some,not many, a few sort of wordings. This one is going to my exception list! +1 to you HeyGMAT!

thanks for recalling adverb but dire word choices----some, none, all,most............
Expert Post
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2410 [0], given: 693

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 02:16
Expert's post
Sometimes we tend to overcalculate and drag the water. on GMAT test stay focus, first of all, on WHAT we are looking for

here is a weakening question. Sharks haven't got kill.

Conclusion: In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Economy rely on fishing, sharks are useful for fishing. That's it. D it is..............50 seconds

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:52
maybeam wrote:

Quote:
Can somebody guide me?

The Tenare Island is famous because of 2 things:

- Beaches where the tourists go swimming and surfing
- Fishing activities here

If the tiger sharks did not existed near the beaches, this species would not control the smaller sharks, the main hunter of fish that is important factor to attract tourism.

So, the conclusion (Killing the tiger sharks to help the economy) will be collapsed.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 23:29
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Sometimes we tend to overcalculate and drag the water. on GMAT test stay focus, first of all, on WHAT we are looking for

Conclusion: In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Economy rely on fishing, sharks are useful for fishing. That's it. D it is..............50 seconds

Hii Carcass, can you please elaborate your explanation.
Need explanation on blue shaded portion. How did you deduce that sharks are useful for fishing?

Anyways here is my take:
Tiger shark feed on smaller sharks. These smaller sharks feed on small fishes. These fishes contribute a lot to the economy.
If Tiger sharks are killed, then the # of smaller sharks will increase. As their numbers increase, more and more small fishes will be eaten by these sharks. Since the # of fishes will reduce, then it will impact the economy.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 131

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 15:28
Marcab wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hii Carcass, can you please elaborate your explanation.
Need explanation on blue shaded portion. How did you deduce that sharks are useful for fishing?

Anyways here is my take:
Tiger shark feed on smaller sharks. These smaller sharks feed on small fishes. These fishes contribute a lot to the economy.
If Tiger sharks are killed, then the # of smaller sharks will increase. As their numbers increase, more and more small fishes will be eaten by these sharks. Since the # of fishes will reduce, then it will impact the economy.

yes thts the correct reasoning as stated above TS--Small sharks--fish and the whole pt of theplan was to help the economy which is dependent on fishing.
so less fish=bad economy=plan fails

impossible is nothing

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 08:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare   [#permalink] 02 May 2014, 08:44