Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 06:46
Hi everyone,

I am about to schedule GMAT for sometime in August 2011.

I plan on applying for 2012. Hence I am looking at R1 deadlines, which are around mid October.

Will it be too late if I give GMAT between 20th and 30th August.

I will appreciate any input.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 5

Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 09:13
That will largely depend on how many schools you're applying to, and how much time you spend on each application.

Also affects whether you'll have a chance to re-take the GMAT if you're not pleased with your score.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:52
Thanks for replying Jko.

I plan on applying upto 6 schools depending on my GMAT score.

Generally how much time should I allocate to admission essays? What are the other time consuming steps in appication process?

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 5

Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 09:10
vatsas wrote:
Thanks for replying Jko.

I plan on applying upto 6 schools depending on my GMAT score.

Generally how much time should I allocate to admission essays? What are the other time consuming steps in appication process?

Thanks
Sumeet

I'm not sure how much time you'll need for admission essays, I've not gone through the process yet. I will say, however, that most people who have gone through the process say that they had seriously underestimated how long the applications would take.

In terms of other steps in the process...
Recommendations - make sure to let your recommenders know plenty in advance.
Getting school transcripts - not 'time consuming' per se, but something to make sure you've done in advance.
Filling out the basic application info - for 6 schools, this might take a while.

And the biggest, possibly, depending on how much you've already though about it, is spending time researching the schools, visiting the schools (if applicable), and preparing your well-versed explanation of your plans.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but figured I'd give it a shot.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 12:31
Expert's post
Applications took more time than I had anticipated, but it didn't seem too bad. With six schools, though, you will be pressed for time. And don't underestimate the difficulties involved with the recommendation letters!

But first thing's first, and that's the GMAT. Definitely don't attempt to juggle everything at the same time, so place all your energy into test for now. After that, focus on the rest of the application process. Your timing seems fine, so just organize a proper game plan and execute.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 23:43
Hello,

Some nice statements above. I thought that I would add that it's good to look at the questions of each of the schools that you're applying to and then to start writing ideas down for stories you can tell. You don't need to write the actual stories, but it's good to have a bunch of ideas to work with when you get started. This little trick doesn't take much time, but it will make your life a lot easier since it's hard to come up with the best stories about yourself in one sitting.

If my post helped let me know with a kudo ;)

I teach in Paris, write about the GMAT/GRE, and provide online consulting for both of these tests www.standardizedtests.org http://fr.standardizedtests.org/ (french)
Cheers!

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 01:08
I have started preparing for GMAT in bits and pieces as the books I ordered will now reach me before 10th of May. So Can anyone advice me, which academic session of B-schools I should target? should I target the 2012 fall session? Do I have enough time for that? and if I have enought time, when should I take GMAT?

Please help me. I am extremely confused about it and deeply scared of verbal and AWA as I am a non-native speaker of English.

Thanks,
AM

Re: Time difference between GMAT date and submitting application   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2011, 01:08