Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time Management during breaks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Time Management during breaks! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 11:31
There are many discussion on sites how to handle time pressure in exam, should you invest in first 5 question or not etc. Though, Small topic that I haven’t seen discussed is how to effectively manage your time during breaks. To me, it is a crucial topic and warrant detail discussion. These are my thoughts.

1) Understand exactly what to expect!
If you notice in your GMAT registration receipt, it says that total length of test is 255 min! What everyone knows is…

Test has three sections and two breaks
60 min : AWA
First break between AWA and Quant session
75 min : Quant
Second between Quant and Verbal session
75 min : Verbal

At present these breaks are 10 min each.

So all together are 230 Min, so what about extra 25 min!

=> Before essay section you have 5 min to go through instructions such as GMAC policy, tutorial etc.
=> Another 5 min are given to fill out personal information after test.
=> There is 1 min after each break (2 min total) to read section directions.
=> Other 13 min are perhaps miscellaneous.

2) Understand Breaks and plan on how to use these breaks.

What to expect:
Once you hit last question of any section, a screen asking weather you want to take break will appear! Do not click anything, please raise your hand so proctor can come and lock the station.

I notice that 10 min down counter starts when proctor locks the station rather than when you finish last question (I would love if someone can second on these observation). So, before clicking anything raise your hand and let proctor come and tell to click “yes I want to take breakâ€
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 05:29
This thread is crucial - there are actually many untimed sections on the test when you can read the instructions etc. I use this time to set up my work sheet for the quant section.

Keep in mind the timing is very important. I cannot stress this enough. I recently took the 10 min break between the AWA and Quant section and went 75 seconds over (the didnt have a clock around and those 10 min seem more like 2). That threw me off for a few minutes and on this exam you cannot afford that.

I would say keep the breaks to 8 min or less. If you still arent in the right frame of mind def use the 1 minute additional time during the instructions to get your head straight.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 16:45
This post received
KUDOS
To me the most important thing to do in the first 10-15 mins before your exam begins, i.e from the time the proctor leaves you with the instructions to the time you begin AWA is the following:

1) NOte down all tough QUANT formulaes in the sheet. this might take 5 mins or so.. but i noted down nPr and nCr in my last exam.. somehow I confuse them :)
2) I also note down the AWA essay template.. just the template.. straight out of my head.. so that when I begin the test I copy the first few lines from teh AWA
3) I did not note down enough formulaes last time...but next time I am going to make sure I note down all the geometry and sequence equations.
4) And finally I am sure I will note down the DS type numbers that I am going to test.. such as -1,-2,0.5,1.0,2,3.. etc.. all in one line.. so that when I reach a problem, I make sure I take the subset from it.. if I know its Real or > 0 integers etc.

I began AWA. in the 10 minute break, I had my coffee, and a fruit

After I sat down, I specifically said to the proctor not to type her password in, until I was settled in.. And after tat you have one more minuete..

Between QUANT and Verbal break, I noted down the type of sc errrors I keep on forgetting in the sheet there.. in the one min.. I just wrote down a few of them..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 06:15
i was under the impression that it's a violation of rule to use scratch paper during the break ?? ain't it ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 06:41
where is the rule written? I did not know about it..

I picked up that idea from princeton reviews tips on what to do in time breaks.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 09:13
in my case (2006) they kick you out of the room if you want to take a break and once you get back you have to start the test immediately (they put the password in immediately)... so I don't know how you managed to ask the proctor to give you some time to write down the formulas during the breaks... was s/he there standing and watching over your head?

interesting...

PS for the first-time takers... I would not rely on the assumption that proctor will give you time to do this... you might be very upset if it doesn't happen... you would have to use your Tutorial time to do this... not the actual 10 min :cry:
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 09:23
This was in the first 10 mins before the test started
tht is the instrcutions time.you had unlimited time during instructions to read the instructions..
so i wrote it during that time..

on my break between AWA and Quant, I asked the proctor not to write her password until i was settled.

I did not write any forumlaes in this break..

because of lack of time.. (1 min in the instructions)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 09:52
willget800 wrote:
on my break between AWA and Quant, I asked the proctor not to write her password until i was settled.

what do you mean by settled?

also if you write the formulas during the tutorial, then use the rest of the paper for AWA and part of quant, you would have to "exchange" it... they didn't allow me to keep the old one.. although I didn't write too many formulas on it and could remember the ones I needed anyway
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 10:25
settled == means i sat down, got opened my pen, got my notepad in front of my keyboard, and my shirts were rolled up ready for math section.

i wrote allformulaes in the first 15 min instruction time limit

then between my math and verbal, in that 1 min time frame of reading instructions.. i wrote down the SC errors that i generally forget..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 03:45
But i thought that GMAT had done away with the scratch paper.
Also Willget800, can you share with me some of the common errors on SC that you keep forgetting.MAybe I have missed out on them while making my list.
Regards,
Aman
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 06:59
amansingla4 wrote:
But i thought that GMAT had done away with the scratch paper.

I am talking about laminated paper, sorry for confusion!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 07:51
amansingla4,

my worksheet over here should help you:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=29645

i have not updated it for 1 week now.. wille ventaully update the sheet there..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 17:26
Good post. It will people like me who are planning to take GMAT.

Thanks guys for sharing your experience.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 22:56
Thanks guys, for sharing the exact break-up of the test-time.

This gives people like me a very good idea of what to expect and be prepared.

I think, just before the actual GMAT test, for the last few practice tests we can use this information and incorporate the brake-timings as in the real test. This would give us better time management during te breaks.

Hema

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 11:42
Hi, I had tea with lemon and a sandwich with me. It helped a lot! :read
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 16:19
It's interesting to know and helps in pacing oneself.
Thanks for the information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2006, 07:18
If i have 9 mins left on the clock with just one ques left, can i mark a choice and leave for the break? Will it be counted? In that case i could get X + 9 mins of break. Is that ok?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 14:21
willget800 wrote:
This was in the first 10 mins before the test started
tht is the instrcutions time.you had unlimited time during instructions to read the instructions..
so i wrote it during that time..

I did not write any forumlaes in this break..

So, this means I won't miss any instructions (while I am writing things down on my starch paper) as long as I don't click anything on the computer, right? Since the instructions time is unlimited.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Time Management during breaks! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 07:15
Folks,

Is there any limit on the laminated sheets provided during the test or we can ask for any number as and when we needed :?: :?: :!: :!: :shock:
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Time Management during breaks! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 09:11
sfh wrote:
Folks,

Is there any limit on the laminated sheets provided during the test or we can ask for any number as and when we needed :?: :?: :!: :!: :shock:

From what I remember you get a book with 8 or 10 two-sided sheets, and if you filled it up you could get another one. But you can also wipe things out and reuse pages as you go along. I had never practiced with the laminated sheets prior to my G-day but it wasn't a hard transition at all.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: Time Management during breaks!   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2011, 09:11