Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time Management on CR & RC is killing me:-(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Time Management on CR & RC is killing me:-( [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 11:54
Before I started preparing, I had problems with time management on both sections (Verbal & Quant). I used to run out of time on last 4-5 question and end guessing randomly. After studying for over a month, I've become comfortable with pacing on Quant. Now I consistently score 45+ on Quant with No major problem with timing on pratice tests. Verbal, however is a completely different story for me. I am still having serious trouble finishing Verbal section of practice tests within 75 minutes. After thorough analysis, I discovered that RC, specially passages based on Biology (or Science in general), is my biggest problem. I just can't find a way to do well on those passages. I also noticed that spending more on them does NOT improve my accuracy and I actually end up with less than 1 minute/question for last 8-9 questions.

I am thinking of one extreme measure.......if I guess randomly on Biology-based RC passage, it will save me 7-8 precious minutes. This may not be a bad strategy, as long as I don't get that passage on first 10 questions and that no more than one Bilogy based passage shows up on my GMAT.

Any comments on this?? If you guys can suggest any other approach to deal with "Time Management" on RC, I'd highly appreciate that.

I tried to search through posts to look for help on "Timing Strategies" but it was too hard to find useful info since I couldn't sort posts by number of views or responses.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 12:08
I forgot to discuss my situation on CR questions in the previous post. I've taken 4 practice tests (GMATPrep & PowerPrep) so far and gotten 2-4 questions wrong out of total 11 CR questions. So accuracy is not a major problem there. Besides I think doing any better than this will be extremely difficult for me and require longer preparation time (not an option since I am taking GMAT in 2 weeks). However I am taking over 2 minutes per question on CR. This leaves me with less time for RC and SC.

I noticed that I am often able to narrow down to 2 or 3 choices but then I end up re-reading the question and these (2 or 3) choices over and over again.

Is there any way I can maintain the same level of accuracy on CR while taking only 1:45 minutes/question?? Any general time saving tips on CR question??

I appreciate your comments in advance.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 19:09
I have a similar problem of spending time on re-reading the 2-3 answers. One strategy I started using is to think about the passage and conclusion for 10 secs soon after I finish reading the passge. Then re-phrase the idea/argument/supporting assumptions in mind. This has helped me and I have improved myself from 3-4 mins per question to little more than 2 mins now.

This especially helps with questions in which we have to select the answer which most weakens or supports the conclusion. Also with questions in which we have to derive a conclusion based on what is stated in the passage.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 19:11
Forgot to mention that this strategy I use for CR
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2007, 08:39
Thanks for posting your strategy. This sure seems to work for me on easy questions but on harder ones, I am still having problems finishing under 2 minutes. Anyway I'll keep practicing on CR with remaining material I have.
  [#permalink] 17 May 2007, 08:39