Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time management per Q type - what works best?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Time management per Q type - what works best? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 07:53
What is a good estimate of the time-to-take per question type? Rather, what's a good speed to finish the test at the same time understand the Qs and choices to get them right.
Here's what I've tried:
Q 1- 10 -> 25 minutes
Q 11-20 -> 20 minutes
Q 21-30 -> 15 minutes
Q 31-41 -> 15 minutes
But, boy do I rush through questions 21- 41 that I get a whole bunch wrong. Especially RC I can't even understand the passage in the time I have and hence get all wrong on the last passage.

With 3-4 RC questions (take me 8 minutes), 3-4 CRs (take me 6 minutes), and 3-4 SCs (take me 4 minutes) I am out of time before I know it.

While doing practice on each question type is there a ballpark time we should follow? Can anyone share what's worked well for them please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 09:24
Someone who got a 740 used this technique:

"Before starting the test, I made two tables in my scratch paper. One for QUANT and another for verbal. For QUANT, I wrote from 1 to 37 on one column. Against it wrote from 73 to 0 decreasing in interval of 2 (73, 71, 69 ...). The idea is whenever I want to know the time I am lagging, I have to see the time from the table across the question number and compare it with the time remaining. Though I was prepared like this, I took too much of time for first ten questions. In the midst of test, I was lagging by 15 minutes and could not help but guess for five questions.

For verbal, my table was as below.

0 - 75
7 - 63
14 - 50
21 - 38
28 - 25
35 - 13
41 - 0 "

I took the test recently whre I wanted to go by this approach.
The problem was that I got stuck in the first few questions and did not want to get them wrong.I took a lot of time there and ultimately got it wrong too (i think). After that, all my time mgmt skills,estimates went wrong .
So if you can keep ur cool and pace urself, the above steps should be helpful.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2004, 17:34
Dear all,

I've already written this message but seems there are some problems with the host so maybe it didn't arrived well on the website...it will be a pleasure for me to repeat it :read

I disagree withthe common strategy.

I would consider :
1-15 : slow
15-27 : fast
27-end : normal

Why ? Because you have to remember that there will be around 9 experimental questions in the quant section. Those experimental are there to be tested, after that ETS can check their level of difficulty, see if the formulation was good, see how many people answered well, etc... For all those statistics, they need a maximum of people to answer it in normal conditions.

It's quite sure it won't be in the first 5-10 questions which are very important to determine your gross level....in the other hand, it is also sure that those questions won't appear at the end of the test because a lot of people won't finish on time or will rush by guessing at the end of the section and ETS is not interested in this way of answering. If they want to judge correctly the difficulty of the question, they need people to take normal time to answer, not to guess.

That's why I think that the last 10 questions will definitely be important too. I am quite interested by the GMAT Club members opinion on this subject because I may be wrong with this strategy, I am just curious about what you guys think about this... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2004, 18:34
Personally, I took the first 5 questions as slowly as I could go. However, most of these questions were pretty easy; so, I probably didn't spend more than a minute a question. I then took all the remaining questions at a good pace of about 1 min 30 seconds a piece. If I hit a really hard question, I would spend no more than 2 min 30 seconds on the question before moving on. This seemed to work well for me. I got a 49 and 47 Quantitative score the 2 times I took the GMAT. Also, I only had 1 min or so remaining at the end both times.
  [#permalink] 12 Aug 2004, 18:34