Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

time run during the directions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 05:44
I know this is a stupid question but I was wondering if your time was running during the direction pages. I like to write out "A B C D E" on my scratch paper prior to the Verbal section, but someone said you can't write anything on your paper until the directions come up. The Kaplan books says not to read the directions because it waste time. Just wondering whether time is running or not. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 13:13
the directions are timed...but that time isn't part of the 75 mins. you get for each section. i think it's like 2 minutes or something like that for each set of instructions.

i didn't pay any attention to the directions, but once they showed up on screen i used the 2 mins. or so in each case to test out my marker and scribble a few formulae i keep forgetting etc etc.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:06
solaris1 wrote:
the directions are timed...but that time isn't part of the 75 mins. you get for each section. i think it's like 2 minutes or something like that for each set of instructions.

i didn't pay any attention to the directions, but once they showed up on screen i used the 2 mins. or so in each case to test out my marker and scribble a few formulae i keep forgetting etc etc.

You mean that, if we immediately do the job, ignore the direction, we will be plus 2 minutes?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7769 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:20
Expert's post
sondenso wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

You mean that, if we immediately do the job, ignore the direction, we will be plus 2 minutes?

Good one. Unfortunately no, though back when I took my GMAT (2002 - old), directions were not timed - you could stare at them for quite a while and take your time to prepare.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 05:26
No - it's either use the 2 mins. or whatever to read throught directions or lose that time and start your actual test questions.
The time for the directions doesn't get added on to your GMAT time. The directions are timed separately.

sondenso wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: time run during the directions? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:24
There's little to no room for saving time or getting an edge on the actual GMAT test. You could try scribbling some formulae on your pads prior to the clock starting but that is indeed grounds for cancellation according to Pearson. I made a tiny little mark just to make sure that the pen wasn't defective, that was it. I would not try to write anything prior to the clock starting. Just take the test.
Re: time run during the directions?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2008, 10:24