Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time spent on each CR question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Time spent on each CR question [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 07:14
I was wondering how much do u guys crack a CR question on an avg.
Its taking me abt 1:30-2:00 mins for each question. Is this OK?

I personally think its a bit on a higher side. And also I think it takes me long because I read all the ans choices and sometimes re-read the question.

Anyway let me know what do u think about it.

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Time spent on each CR question [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 07:46
just.doit wrote:

I personally think its a bit on a higher side. And also I think it takes me long because I read all the ans choices and sometimes re-read the question.

thanks

I think it is better to spend 1:30 or less for a CR question. But you can do it for a longer time if you manage correctly time for RC and SC. Consider you have 75 minutes for 41 verbal question, on average you will have 14 SC, 14 CR and 13 SC. Now, knowing your average time for each type of question, you can calculate whether you match the allocated time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 09:36
that is a bit long. Read the question before you read the passage so you have some idea what you are looking for. This has helped me. Your mileage can and will vary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 10:56
zakk wrote:
that is a bit long. Read the question before you read the passage so you have some idea what you are looking for. This has helped me. Your mileage can and will vary.

LSAT Critical reasoning bible (which is the advanced tool) suggests to read the argument first and only then read the question. So many books so many approaches :-D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: Time spent on each CR question [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 11:52
just.doit wrote:

thanks

I dunno bout other posts, but to me this is about right. Sometimes CR's can take longer than 2min (depending on length and complexity).

It depends on how you budget your time on the other questions. I take only bout 1 min or so per SC's so I can spend more time on the RC's and CR's. SC's shouldn't take you that long to do especially if its a small underlined portion.

Don't fly through CR's just for times sake unless you have to. Make sure you understand where the conclusion and premises are. I find that if I don't understand the passage, I have to go back and reread it... for me this just wastes time and I don't really understand it that well.

I started using MGMAT's diagram approach. @ first I thought this was garbage, but after a few weeks of doing it. I get almost all of my CR's correct. (cept for those stupid bold faced ones, those ones suck and are too long for diagramming).

However, depending on the time remaining, just reading the passage w/ no diagramming is better. If I have 1min only for a CR, il read it and answer the best I can.

To sum it up, everyone has his or her own method for CRs. 1 1/2min-2min on timing is just fine. Spend less time on SC's if you can.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 08:38
Thanks all for ur inputs.

I just bought the official GMAT verbal and doing CRs and timing my self this time (during OG i didnt time myself :) ).
Right now I am doing a CR in 1:30-1:45 mins and also with a 90% hit rate. think by the end of it my speed will improve.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 08:42
If you can finish CR questions in 1:30-2:00. You will be ok. The one that most people miss on is SC. Because of the nature of SC, you can finish some in under :30. It really depends on the person, but in general SC is where you can buy time.
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2007, 08:42