Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [144]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [23]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [1]
Send PM
Re: Although the ratio of violent crime to total population is about the [#permalink]
Kudos
xennie wrote:
automan exactly my reasoning. If you shoot/stab/injure someone and he doesnt die its not a homicide, its a violent crime. Hence if they have the same amount of violent crime (in proportion to population), one reason why homicide might be higher in one city is because they are for example far away from any good hospitals and more violent crimes end up being homicides. Hope im making sense.

Perfect explanation.

However, would you please explain why (C) is irrevalent?

This is my reasoning.

- If criminals (criminals who have guns) can easily move between C and M, the fact that there are more guns in M than in C serves no purpose.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Re: Although the ratio of violent crime to total population is about the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The main point to explain here is the reason for fewer deaths which is not addressed by any choice except E. The conclusion follows only if the emergency medical service are assumed to be comparable. Otherwise that would account for fewer homicides.

Not D because, the number of criminals may be higher, and the number of deaths may also be higher but that doesn't explain the lesser "percentage" of homicides.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I would think of E.

Imagine E is not true. "Clarksburg does have significantly better emergency medical services than Metroville." which means even though the ratio of violent crimes to the total population is same, fewer crimes turn out to be homicides as ppl in C get better medical care which saves their lives. Hence, the conclusion falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
hsgmat wrote:
Although the ratio of violent crime to total population is about the same in Clarksville and Metroville, there are almost 15% more gun owners in Metroville. The difference in gun ownership is the most logical explanation for the fact that there are 23% fewer homicides in Clarksville than Metroville.

The explanation rests on the assumption that

A)Most violent crimes in Metroville is connected to groups of organized criminals that do not operate in Clarksville

B)Fire ammunition is easy to obtain in Clarksville than Metroville

C) Clarksville and Metroville are far apart that crime in one does not affect the other

D)The number of criminals in Metroville are not larger in number than the number in Clarksville.

E) Clarksville does not have significantly better emergency medical services than Metroville.

Can someone explain this :
I got 'D' but OE is 'E'..Pls advise how E is correct ans
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4544 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
smartguy595 wrote:
hsgmat wrote:
Although the ratio of violent crime to total population is about the same in Clarksville and Metroville, there are almost 15% more gun owners in Metroville. The difference in gun ownership is the most logical explanation for the fact that there are 23% fewer homicides in Clarksville than Metroville.

A)Most violent crimes in Metroville is connected to groups of organized criminals that do not operate in Clarksville

C) Clarksville and Metroville are far apart that crime in one does not affect the other

D)The number of criminals in Metroville are not larger in number than the number in Clarksville.

E) Clarksville does not have significantly better emergency medical services than Metroville.

Can someone explain this :
I got 'D' but OE is 'E'..Pls advise how E is correct ans

Premise: There are 15% more gun owners in Metroville.
Conclusion: Difference in gun ownership has resulted in 23% fewer homicides in Clarksville than Metroville.

D. Number of criminals in Metroville <= Number of criminals in Clarksville. But we already know that there are 15% more gun owners in Metroville. The number of criminals is irrelevant to the argument. Fewer criminals may commit more crime since more criminals have gun ownership in Metroville.

E. Clarksville does not have significantly better emergency medical services than Metroville. - Correct.
Negate E: Clarksville has significantly better emergency medical services than Metroville. --> Medical services are responsible for fewer homicides and not gun ownership --> Provides an alternate reason to negate the conclusion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
hsgmat wrote:

Conclusion: The difference in gun ownership is the reason for 23% fewer homicides in Clarksville than Metroville.

This statement says that criminals in Metroville do not operate in Clarksville. So? This doesn't bridge the gap.

Out of Scope.

Negation doesn't help. - Fail.

We are concerned about the number of Crimes and not the Criminals. Therefore, this option is going pout of Scope.

A Better Emergency Medical Service aptly provides an alternate explanation for the difference in the Number of Homicides and negating it helps to consolidate the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
umg wrote:
hsgmat wrote:

Conclusion: The difference in gun ownership is the reason for 23% fewer homicides in Clarksville than Metroville.

This statement says that criminals in Metroville do not operate in Clarksville. So? This doesn't bridge the gap.

Out of Scope.

Negation doesn't help. - Fail.

We are concerned about the number of Crimes and not the Criminals. Therefore, this option is going pout of Scope.

A Better Emergency Medical Service aptly provides an alternate explanation for the difference in the Number of Homicides and negating it helps to consolidate the conclusion.

For option E:

The Conclusion is :- Clarksville have lower homocides compared to Metroville, correct?

for Option E, it says Clarkville does not have significantly better Emergency Medical Services than Metroville.

My Initial thought would be:

Clarkville have lower homocides compared to Metroville, because Clarkville does not have significantly better Emergency Medical Services.

which i find this illogical.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Logic why E is correct. A is irrelevant. B weakens.
Now if we go by negation principle, we have to find the option, the negation of which will weaken the argument. So, what is the argument? Is it "Clarksburg is having 23% lower homicide rates than Metroville?" Absolutely No. The complete argument which we need to weaken by the negated option is "Clarksburg is having 23% lower rate because Metroville is having 15% higher guns". So, the option (after negation) which would prove that Clarksburg can have lower rates not because of lesser guns but because of some other reason... that option would be our winner.
Only E gives us that. Negation of E says..."Hospitals in Clarksburg are nearby in the city". If this is true, then obviously, the violent crimes victims would get quick treatment and homicides (death) would be less. That means, its the hospitals that reduced the number in Clarksburg, not the lesser number of guns that saved the people of Clarksburg. Thus, our argument is weakened. Hence E. You can check for C and D similarly and find that none of them weakens the argument like this. They both, in fact, dont touch the gun part at all while attacking the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat @EMPOWERgmat gmatwhiz

I'm really unable to make any logical connection of (E) with the argument. Can you please provide the solution? This came up in my Manhattan Mock.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Isn’t the option E completely out of scope? I guess we have a set boundary in assumption questions i.e. we have to stay within the scope of argument. If we go beyond that boundary then we can have millions of assumptions options that we can make.
I would eliminate E at the very first go, could end up with C if i am bound to answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Although the ratio of violent crime to total population is about the [#permalink]
Hello expert,
I don’t think any of the choice including E is a good assumption. Negate E: Clarksville have better emergency medical services than Metroville, but if the victim has already been dead when the homicide is founded by police, E won't break the conclusion and become irrelevant.
Need your ideas and much thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts