I was looking for a timer application which I can use on linux and could not find one. Recently, I learnt that Google allows scripts in their spreadsheet, and I thought of developing a tool that I can use for my practice! The advantage of such a tool is that I can use it on any browser which can run Google Spreadsheet.
Attached file is a script that you will need to install for any spreadsheet on Google docs. You need to install it once for each file, and can use it for all sheets for that file. Installing the Script.
1) download and extract the file.
2) Go to google docs and create (or open) your spreadsheet, and save it.
3) Go to Tools->Scripts->Script Editor
4) Remove everything, and paste contents of script file that you extracted in step 1.
5) Save the script file. you can give any name you like.
6) Go to Triggers->Current Script's Triggers
7) Click on Add new Trigger, and select OnOpen, From Spreadsheet, On Open for the three combo boxes.
8) Save and close script editor and spreadsheet.Using the Script.
1) open the spreadsheet and click somewhere on spreadsheet. You will see a new menu item called "Timer Tool". This happens automatically because of step 7 in installation.
2) If this is blank spreadsheet, you may want to add headers by going to Timer Tool->Add Headers
3) When you begin reading your question, go to Timer Tool->Reset Timer.
4) Now when you answer first question, go to Timer Tool->A/B/C/D/E
5) For second question, go to Timer Tool->A/B/C/D/E.
No need to reset timer unless you take a break. Time for question is counted from the time you answer previous question, or you click on reset timer.
If you want to come back some other time, you can close the spreadsheet. Next time when you come back, just click on Timer Tool->Reset Timer to start again.
Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, or problems, please let me know.
File comment: Timer Tool V1.0 [Released Oct 28 2010]
timertool_v1.0.zip [1.18 KiB]
Downloaded 176 times
Some other posts by me...
My GMAT Journey
Timer Tool for Google spreadsheet
Quant Flash Cards/Pages
700 (Q:49 V:35) - Thanks GMATClub - Test Center experience