Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Timing [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 06:09
Guys,

How do I handle timing on verbal, its killing me?! I do have trouble focusing and sometimes need to re-read the passage but the timing is still giving me trouble. For instance, yesterday I took two verbal practice tests (skipped the math). On the first one I got a 30 because I was running out of time and had to guess on the last 12 questions which I got 90% wrong and ended up with a 30. Funny thing is I was kicking butt up until that point.

The next test I had a lot of repeat questions so I already knew the answers, got only one less wrong and ended up with a 35. I suspect it is because I answered really hard questions which I got wrong the first time around but knew the answers to already. So how do I pace my timing? Skimming the RC doesnt really work for me.

Also, on CR, I came across questions which I swear didnt seem like english with a lot of jargon. How do you crack these?!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 06:50
Fawreel,

Timing on verbal actually should not be an issue. The key here is to master SC. I believe if you have done loads of practice with SC, you can solve them within 60-70 seconds. This will give you some time on RC's.

Also spend time wisely on RC. It depends on where you are in your verbal section. If you get a RC in the very beginning , spend a bit more time on it and make up for it in later questions involving SC's. On the other hand, if you get an RC, near the end, you can move a bit faster if you are pressed for time. And make sure for CR you dont take more than 100 secs for every question.

It's no so easy to get into this discipline, i have had a tough time with this , but recently have overcome this and getting on track.

one more tthing, while reading a passage, take your heart out and read it with complete concentration. If you let your mind wander, then for sure, you will re-visit the entire passage and will kill time. Read once and read it hard .
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 07:42
Thanks for the advice. I just dont get some of the really tough CR questions and the answers they give. I could argue until my face is blue that 2 of the answers I picked were better than the ones that they picked.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 07:47
fawreel902 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I just dont get some of the really tough CR questions and the answers they give. I could argue until my face is blue that 2 of the answers I picked were better than the ones that they picked.

If you are struglling for 35+, then you have some weaknesses to address.
You can improve your CR using LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 22:53
fawreel902:

As you already mentioned, you have trouble focusing and need to re-read at times. This turned out affecting timing and possibly accuracy.

During GMAT preparation, it is not only important to get the questions right (by learning techniques for each question types and practicing), but also build up the mental toughness (think about muscle building).

GMAT is a long test, it consists of 3 sections and takes approximately 4 hours (include breaks). It is very important to build up the mental toughness before the exam.

When I say mental toughness, it means FOCUS and STAMINA. Stamina allows a person to stay focused throughout the whole exam.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 08:43
Well thats the thing, it seems like stamina is my problem but it seems like everyone on this forum doesnt even need to practice their mental stamina. They just study the material and thats it.

Maybe I have ADD or something. I do make a lot of stupid mistakes at work if I dont really really focus and when I was a kid I couldnt sit in one place at one time. And my mind always tends to wander off, even today. Who knows really....
  [#permalink] 12 Jul 2007, 08:43