Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timing is the problem -- Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Timing is the problem -- Please help [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2006, 12:31
Hi All,

I am writing this note in a highly demotivated mood. I took a GMATPrep on Sat'day and scored 590.(Q - 45 and V - 26). Since during verbal I was fatigued and exhausted and guessed most of the answers without putting thought at the end, the verbal score was low. I thought I can do better and took the GMATPrep (I had not saved the earlier test hence could write another one) again on Sunday. To my dismay, I found myself too slow. I could complete only 15 questions of quant even when 10 minutes were left.I cancelled this test also in frustration. When I take section wise test I score very well both in quant and verbal. In the diagnostic test of OG I was in "above average" range.In princeton dignostic I could solve bin 3 problems with more than 90 % accuracy. But I am very very slow.. and same is reflected when I take full length test.. can anyone please help how should I approach..? I plan to take GMAT by sept end or Oct 1st week and looking to score 700+. Am I too ambitious and setting up impracticle goal ..? wht shld be my study plan..?

I would be greatly thankful if somebody can help me ..?

Regards,
Amit
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2006, 15:49
Do bulk sets of practice problems and use this timer to keep you on pace:

http://silenttimer.com/timer/onlinetimer.php

[/url]
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2006, 23:53
Dear Baer,

Thanks for responding. But do you think doing bulk probs can help me ..? wht shld be the strategy that I shld adopt..? I mean the # of hrs in week that I need to put in ..so that I am confident by sept end. I know this is my call but just get an idea..

would appreciate a timely response..

Regards,
Amit
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2006, 03:49
Hi Baer,

I had the same problem of discourage and fatigue that u explain. It's nice already that u do well on separated sections.

In my case, the key point were:
> Weekdays: to practice continously a brunch of questions (15 SC-15CR-15RC) and to correct them after with ErrorLog. By doing so, It takes 3 hours to complete all.
> Weekend: to make 1 full practice exam (latelly everytime with AWA).

Now and after 2 months, I feel more confortable about the length of GMAT. I discover that to eat mache apples is very good at breaktime :) I achieve to keep a constant concentration and i don't get the fatigue syndrom at middle of verbal section. To me, it's very important to take the breaks and to eat something containing fast to diggest suggar.

In your case and like for me, I think that u have to force u to practice and to pratice and to practice again :) I know it's easy to say ;) But u need to be rigourous and to do so :)

Other gmatclub member would probably explain and advise u better than i do :) Let's see :)

Last edited by Fig on 04 Sep 2006, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2006, 08:35
Hello Fig,

Just to correct you, it was not Baer but me who has the difficulty of time and wrote the above message.
I would also like to thank you for the course of action that you have suggested. I think this approach would work me since I do realize that I need more and more practice. It would be great if you opine whether my plan for GMAT by month end is too ambitious or can be achieved.. How about how..? whn do u plan to appear or have already done so ..?

Regards,
Amit
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2006, 09:37
Yes ;) Sorry Amit, i confused your nickname with the one of a replier :)

In my case, 1 month with a start at 590 is not enough to achieve a high 600 score as I can give only 3 hour a day for weekdays & 8 h a day for weekend.

I cannot pretend to know u enough or to be able to predict your score after 1 month of intensive practices. Actually, I can only try to extrapolate by using my personnal experience. Thus, I have a couple of questions for u:
> Are u a native english speaker?
> What do u mean by doing well on Q and V separatly?
> Are u working?
> Have u the time to rest u & to eat well?

At least and if it's not yet done, I suggest to read all topics related to individual amazing stories. How to people from gmatclub achieved to earn their scores :). It will give energy ! :)

To be positive, I want to say u that all is possible :) I believe that Energy & Motivation are the keys, especially for GMAT :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 02:07
Hi Fig,

Thanks for responding.

The reason why I look for 1 month is coz I think 590 is result of the fatigue rather than my ability to answer the questions. I scored 45 in Quant but screwed up in Verbal with only 26. During the verbal test I was so tired that for about last 20 questions I did'nt even put a thought before answering. I have been preparing since last 3 months (last 1 month more intensive) clearing by basics and understanding the exam pattern and format.
For your queries:
1) I am from India and my medium of instruction has been English throughout. So I think I can say I am a native English speaker.
2) When I write individual section tests for Q and verbal, I score well. In GMATPrep online review tests, I got most of the answers correct with only 2-3 incorrect across all the sections.
3) Yes I am working since last 4 1/2 years..
4) I am not very lucky in that matter. But with 7 hrs of sleep I can devote 4 hrs of study on weekdays and 8-10 hrs on weekends for a month .

Thanks for all the help Fig.. waiting for u r response..

Amit
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 05:19
Ok. :)

From what I read of your posts, I think that the fatigue is the main cause of the problem. Only 2 or 3 mistakes by section is very very very good. :)

About this problem, the concrete actions that I took were:
> To charge every evening with a 3 hours of non-stop practices plus the correction of 15SC-15RC-15CR questions.
> To complete 1 full exam on Sunday (with AWA). I consider my sunday exam the real thing : Pressure and stress of a "bad" score added ! :)

Thus by extrapolating from my experience, I think u have enough of time in 1 month. After 1 week, u should feel already better about the charge of studies :)

U will always have the possibility to postpone the GMAT exam if all conditions are not yet fulfill. Give a try during 2 weeks and take a decision after.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 04:49
Hi Fig,
Thanks for replying. Even I realised that the key to success is practise , practise and practise... I plan to devote much time doing tht..

wht abt u ..? r u done with GMAT or scheduled ..?

Amit
  [#permalink] 06 Sep 2006, 04:49