Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timing strategy for IR?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 13

Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 13:44
Well, after reading through a couple of threads, i feel most of the folks are comfortable with the IR section. Today i gave my MGMAT cat-2 with IR and was humbled by the IR score (2.5) as well as by the questions itself.(3 questions correct in 30 minutes :( , wasted 24 minutes for nothing :( )

My weakness in data interpretation came forth when i got 5 out of 8 incorrect; i feel i also messed up my timing which resulted in 4 questions being unanswered.The questions which might have been easier but never had the time to face them.

I will try to improve on my Data interpretation skills in time, however, i feel that it might not be possible for me to attempt all the 12 questions with spot on accuracy in 30 minutes.

I want to know that since this section is non adaptive is there any effective strategy in selective attempting "some particular questions" while leaving "some other questions" for guessing, so that the chances of losing time without suffering on accuracy is minimal?
I feel multisource reasoning consumes a lot more time and the corresponding rewards are less? at least for me.

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
conty911 wrote:
Well, after reading through a couple of threads, i feel most of the folks are comfortable with the IR section. Today i gave my MGMAT cat-2 with IR and was humbled by the IR score (2.5) as well as by the questions itself.(3 questions correct in 30 minutes :( , wasted 24 minutes for nothing :( )

My weakness in data interpretation came forth when i got 5 out of 8 incorrect; i feel i also messed up my timing which resulted in 4 questions being unanswered.The questions which might have been easier but never had the time to face them.

I will try to improve on my Data interpretation skills in time, however, i feel that it might not be possible for me to attempt all the 12 questions with spot on accuracy in 30 minutes.

I want to know that since this section is non adaptive is there any effective strategy in selective attempting "some particular questions" while leaving "some other questions" for guessing, so that the chances of losing time without suffering on accuracy is minimal?
I feel multisource reasoning consumes a lot more time and the corresponding rewards are less? at least for me.
Unlike the Quant and Verbal sections of the GMAT, which are adaptive and reward strategic guessing, we don't recommend skipping or guessing on IR questions unless you're completely stuck. Because 4 of the 12 questions (as of the latest info we have from the testmaker) are experimental, guessing introduces a huge amount of variance into your score--if a disproportionate number of guesses are scored questions, you can do very well on the remaining set and still have a sub-par score (The reverse is true as well, but do you really want to gamble?)

If pacing is an issue, one things that's very important is to take careful notes for your Multi-Source Reasoning problems. Just like with Reading Comprehension, your question solving speed will drastically increase if you know exactly where to find all the information you need and don't have to go back rereading until you find it!

Hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 20:24
Hi conty911,

you can read posts of guys who has already taken the gmat. they all say that IR in real gmat is much easier than that in Mgmat, Kaplan etc. so, dont loose ur heart, work hard on OG13 IR and everything will be ok

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 13

Re: Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 02:09
Thanks Eli, for the insight, I was not aware of the experimental questions in IR section.Yes, in that case as you said that skipping questions questions will not be a good idea. I'll try more of the IR practice problems to make myself more comfortable in pacing and answering this section.

Lala, thanks for the motivating me, I'll definitely work on the OG-13 IR questions. :)

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 02:50
See this discussion about IR..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Timing strategy for IR? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 22:15
IR is considered as one of the practical subjects & it require serious attention by professional & experts.
Re: Timing strategy for IR?   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2012, 22:15