Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 1967 [0], given: 667

Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 14:59
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (02:49) correct 28% (02:00) wrong based on 73 sessions
Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle at a rate of 9 miles per hour. Fifteen
minutes after he leaves, his mother sees Timothy’s math homework lying on his bed and
immediately leaves home to bring it to him. If his mother drives at 36 miles per hour, how far
(in terms of miles) must she drive before she reaches Timothy?

A) 1/3

B) 3

C) 4

D) 9

E) 12

I think is a 700 level problem but I tag it as 600/700, let me know. Either way I hope in an explanation :) Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle at a rate of 9 miles per hour. Fifteen
minutes after he leaves, his mother sees Timothy’s math homework lying on his bed and
immediately leaves home to bring it to him. If his mother drives at 36 miles per hour, how far
(in terms of miles) must she drive before she reaches Timothy?

A) 1/3

B) 3

C) 4

D) 9

E) 12

Suppose Timothy's mom meets him after time 't'

Then distance traveled by his mom = distance traveled by him in (15mins) + distance traveled by him in time 't'

=> 36 * t = 9 *(15/60) + 9*t
=> t = (1/12) hrs

Distance traveled = 36 * t = 36 * (1/12) miles = 3miles

So, Answer will be B

And am not sure about the tag but i guess 600-700 is fine.

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: Timothy leaves home for school, riding his bicycle   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2012, 19:41